Mech Select By Map

5 replies to this topic

#1 ISakura1

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

I'm not sure how the current match making works in terms of mech class balance but I would like it if instead of selecting a mech and then joining the queue, you select a class and then join. Then after a map has been picked, you select your mech within that weight class. I have too many mechs that I love playing but always end up with terrible maps for them and it puts me off playing sometimes.

For example, I have 3 stalkers, a sniper, an LRM boat and a mid range. On something like HPG Manifold, the LRM boat is pretty much useless 90% of the time. On Terra Therma, my sniper over heats way too often but on polar highlands it is great. So if I could select to play assault, join queue, see which map is picked and then pick which assault I am bringing, I would have more fun matches, more often.

#2 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:06 AM

It would require some significant UI changes, but I agree with this suggestion.

Why would I orbital drop onto a planet without bringing a mech suited for the environment? That has always bothered me.
The problem I see with this is games will take longer since you have to vote on the map then let players look through dozens of mechs, hundreds in some cases, of which one of the correct class would be sent planetside for the conflict.

The right way to do QP would be to select 4 mechs, one for each weight class and then let the matchmaker put together the correct lances. Another way would be to select a weight class and select up to 3 mechs from that weight class. Then after the Vote on Map, you can then take a brief 20 seconds to select one of your preselected mechs for the drop.

#3 ISakura1

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

View PostGalahad2030, on 20 October 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

Another way would be to select a weight class and select up to 3 mechs from that weight class. Then after the Vote on Map, you can then take a brief 20 seconds to select one of your preselected mechs for the drop.

This to me sounds like a perfect solution! Fixes the problem without a major impact on match start time.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:24 AM

View PostISakura1, on 20 October 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'm not sure how the current match making works in terms of mech class balance but I would like it if instead of selecting a mech and then joining the queue, you select a class and then join. Then after a map has been picked, you select your mech within that weight class. I have too many mechs that I love playing but always end up with terrible maps for them and it puts me off playing sometimes.

For example, I have 3 stalkers, a sniper, an LRM boat and a mid range. On something like HPG Manifold, the LRM boat is pretty much useless 90% of the time. On Terra Therma, my sniper over heats way too often but on polar highlands it is great. So if I could select to play assault, join queue, see which map is picked and then pick which assault I am bringing, I would have more fun matches, more often.

Since you have mentioned Polar Highlands ...

Imagine that everyone sees that Polar Highlands map is selected and everybody deploys in LRM boat. You peek out and your are target of 400-600 enemy LRMs with no place to hide. And a few seconds again.

You would die in 10 seconds. In the best case you would survive in a crippled 'Mech.

That's not something I would consider to be a "fun match".

#5 ISakura1

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 October 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

Imagine that everyone sees that Polar Highlands map is selected and everybody deploys in LRM boat..

Personally I wouldn't play an LRM boat much on that map, I would take advantage of the open terrain and low temps to use my quad er ppc build, throw on an ecm, much fun!

I think the chance that everyone is in lrm boat is slim but on a map where it could happen you have to build for it and enjoy it when it does.

Edited by ISakura1, 20 October 2020 - 10:33 AM.

#6 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:52 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 October 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

Imagine that everyone sees that Polar Highlands map is selected and everybody deploys in LRM boat. You peek out and your are target of 400-600 enemy LRMs with no place to hide. And a few seconds again.

You would die in 10 seconds. In the best case you would survive in a crippled 'Mech.

That's not something I would consider to be a "fun match".

For LRM players it's fun and that's something you need to respect and understand is that those LRM players prolly are having a hard time on the other 60-70% of maps were they can't effectively LRM.

Consider also that if you can choose between a few mechs after map selection, you can pick that Corsair with 4AMS on it. In faction matches you can select your mech before drop and coordinate with the team. I don't see why we can't have that functionality in quickplay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users