Monday Mechwarrior Update With Daeron

146 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:12 PM

Greetings, MechWarriors!

This will be my initial post representing a regular, beginning-of-the-week report on the progress of our collaboration with the MWO community towards future development of MechWarrior Online. As many of you know, we got a 5-year license extension from Microsoft this year for our MechWarrior titles, and we want to take full advantage of that opportunity to bring you the best MechWarrior experiences we can. So let's get to it!

Last week I continued to receive and process your feedback, and on Tuesday met with Russ and Matt do go over all of this information. There are definite areas of consensus already establishing themselves, like New Player Experience, Skill Tree, Solaris, Faction Play, Map Updates, Game Mode Updates, and more. But that doesn't mean anything is off the table yet. You will have opportunities in the coming weeks to make your voice heard, either on the relevant MWO forum posts, a town hall style meeting, and communicating with me directly.

This week I will again be meeting with Russ and Matt to go over a rough outline of a plan, based on all of the compiled feedback we went over last week. I will then post this outline for your review and discussion, while also presenting it to the developers for technical reviews. I will have this outline posted by this coming Friday Nov 6th, or Monday Nov 9th at the latest. From there, the real work begins! More on that later.

You can hear all of this in greater detail on the podcasts below:

No Guts No Galaxy #214

The First Circuit Podcast #130

#2 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for all the hard work. Oh and give me more agility back into the game. :) https://www.reddit.c...ity_and_desync/

#3 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the effort, really.

But i hope that this meeting isn't one of those meeting to schedule meetings. There's just so much meetings lately, and not much development or information about it.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 02 November 2020 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:38 PM

Hope match making gets turned back into old school netmech style. None. :)

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:57 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 November 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the effort, really.

But i hope that this meeting isn't one of those meeting to schedule meetings. There's just so much meetings lately, and not much development or information about it.

and dont forget they made a document. probably about other documents they have to make. followed by a 2 year study of the document to figure out if they have enough money to make another document.

#6 Trixxstrr

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB, Canada

Posted 02 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

Please post text summary, I don’t want to listen to a podcast.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 November 2020 - 06:41 PM

View PostTrixxstrr, on 02 November 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

Please post text summary, I don’t want to listen to a podcast.

Yeah. I don't get why the have to pad the delivery of the information to 2 hours when they could do it in 11 minutes. It's like they're purposefully wanting to waste time, for the illusion of having done something.

#8 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:01 PM

I recommend starting with fixing known-bugs to "bring players back". That will show the community that PGI is serious about improving MWO, so we can then contemplate bigger changes.
  • Heat bug - I've never had it, but enough of the player base has
  • Mis-identified mechs - I was looking at an Annihilator from within 100m and the game said "DWF"
  • MechLab region-select drop-menu - over 50% of the time the drop-menu does not even appear, so you just have to play in EU, NA or AP - whichever you selected the last time it worked
These are small, but occur across all game modes, which is good. Speaking of game modes, I recommend focusing on one at a time. It would be good to present to the community the amount of usage each game mode gets - Quick Play, Faction Play Invasion, Faction Play Scouting, Solaris and Private Lobbies. Then it is easier to justify the priority of different changes.

Presenting real data is helpful - Russ saying there are 10,000 unique people playing MWO daily was eye-opening for many; I had folks guessing the number was below 500.

Edited by Tamerlin, 02 November 2020 - 07:03 PM.

#9 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:07 PM

Interested in seeing the road map on Friday.

#10 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:16 PM

Keeping the player base is something that is all too important. What is also important, is gaining new players in the process. How to do both? My though is releasing something new. Map preferably. Fixing old bug that need fixing. And making the early gaming experience better for the Cadets, like removing that god awful mic muted crap.

Something I feel would definitely help would be making the social environment a bit easier to navigate, and navigable mid game. I've been here a while, and have a blank friends list. Why, what's the point? If I were able to join on a friends game, or communicate without interfering with shooting ****, then yeah, I'd probably have some friends in there. No, I don't use other apps, don't have time for twitch, and hate facepuke with a passion. Yeah, I got steam, but, don't know anyone who plays through steam. Yeah, in game, steam styled type of something or another. (Where's my watchamacallit!)

Enough yapping... THANK YOU FOR STILL BEING ALIVE!!! :P

#11 UnPh4ZeD

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

Looking forward to the release of the outline and really interested to hear what the developers come back with on their end. The regular communications are appreciated.

#12 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:07 PM

Low hanging fruit for the holiday: Tweak or mix up drop points and objective locations. It'll freshen things up. The maps have been static for so long that they all have trenches or worn carpet where players travel every match.

Having the community design maps is a great idea that I think will be very exciting. As long as it's implemented start to finish in a few months. The community can test maps on the Test Server too for Q/A. You will probably have way too many submissions. Years ago, there was a thread with conceptual screenshots that can inspire new art. But realistically, start with the FP maps and cut them up into QP maps. You might get 2 QP maps from each one, probably divided at the gates with some minor changes to make it play better.

The most important thing is scheduled, regular changes. I'm not looking for new mechs, just new maps. It would be great to have a new map every 2 months (doesn't have to be strictly new, mind you). Quirks need re-evaluated too. I know that's almost 1000 mechs, but I really liked it when each variant had a more unique role within the chassis line, but not overdoing it like it's been done sometimes before. You should be able to look at each mech and see pros and cons otherwise, why pick one over the other? Look at roles. Some mech variants were given ECM hardpoints that had no basis in canon when ECM was new. Let's take another look at each mech and hardpoints, including other traits and attributes like twist speed and twist angle, special hardpoints, sensor ranges and the like.

#13 Senjustutech

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:14 PM

Thanks!

I have several ideas for how the interface in our cockpits can be improved. would love to share some ideas with you.

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:24 PM

Hope this isn't a road map to the road map.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:31 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 02 November 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Hope this isn't a road map to the road map.

i maintain that the road map is just directions to the liquor store.

#16 byter75

• PipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:35 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 November 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yeah. I don't get why the have to pad the delivery of the information to 2 hours when they could do it in 11 minutes. It's like they're purposefully wanting to waste time, for the illusion of having done something.

To try to set expectations straight, episode 130 of the first circuit podcast happened because we (4 people who ramble about battletech) asked Dareon whether he'd like to come on.
The podcast was not 11mins because... well... it's a podcast. It was a mostly unscripted conversation between 5 indviduals (who each have their own things to say) uploaded to the internets.
For the most part, on one end of the spectrum you have the (relatively) quick and concise text post by Dareon, you have the longer (but still quite focused) NGNG podcast in the middle and on the other end you have the long and more free form 1st Circuit podcast to act as an update.

#17 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:37 PM

Issue most face in 2020 is the Covid issue which affects personal and businesses income.
How about Daevon and Russ discuss how Covid affected PGI???

Reminder: The same few loudest people complain about something doesn't make it The Cause, or even A Cause.
To avoid that problem, just Poll players upon login to game for big issues, most players never look at these forums, reddit, twitter, etc as they have no interest in getting shouted down by the same few over and over and over, or they've no time since they just want to relax and simply play during what time they can spare.

Simple list of fixes sorted by cost to code:

- Keep blocked players muted after re-logging into MWO client. (For years they get un-muted & allow harassment.)

- Remove cost to join Units and the no faction points earned for joining, as a merc that is complete bull which killed fun units.

- Return ability to purchase stuff and get X amount of free lootbags during events. I work for a living & can't play 24/7 as some freeloader for free mechs & mechbays all day during events, so give me something to buy to make up for the lost time as was done in all the years previously.... TY.

- RETURN ability to bank Active premium time, even if there's a minimum of weeks, or months, or even years per bank.

- Give players who Bought either +5% CBill &/or XP cockpit items the respective owned buffs across All mechs All the time.
(Replace the install on mech requirement, to greatly increase QoL, and make piles of non-buff cockpit items useful again.)

- Queue times QP Solo NA takes seconds up to 2 minutes at max.
(But after voting its dead air so give CBills/XP-or-GXP per minute waiting. +Also into adding general chat or something.)

- Give us something to buy ie. Maps crowdfunding, Crusader Mechpack, etc.?

- Return ALL Skill Points spent (AVOID another Full Return CBill for Modules *RENEGE* Exodus)
Reduce "Skill Tree nodes" from 239 faux-"options" to 84 solid upgrades to choose from.
Let players place up to 32 skill points per mech. (or maybe change it to 30?)
And remove "tree" structure and rename nodes to Upgrades like these 84 upgrades and values:

NEW SECTION NEW NAME + VALUE
Weapon Upgrades Reload/Cooldown -4%
Weapon Upgrades Enhanced UAC/RAC -15%
Weapon Upgrades Flamer Ventilation -15%
Weapon Upgrades Gauss Charge +1.5%
Weapon Software Heat Gen -3.5%
Weapon Upgrades High Explosive +15%
Weapon Upgrades Laser Duration +15%
Weapon Upgrades LBX Spread -10%
Weapon Upgrades Magazine Capacity +16
Weapon Upgrades Missile Rack +2
Weapon Upgrades Missile Spread -5%
Weapon Upgrades Range +5%
Weapon Upgrades Velocity +15%
Weapon Upgrades AMS Damage +71%
Weapon Upgrades Laser AMS Heat -54% (NEW 2.85 heat/s becomes 1.85/s approx.)
Mech Upgrades Armor Hardening +6%
Mech Upgrades Critical Protection +4%
Mech Upgrades Shock Absorbance -40%
Mech Upgrades Structural Density +11%
Engine Upgrades Turning Speed +10%
Engine Upgrades Brake Speed +12.25%
Engine Upgrades Brake Speed +12.25%
Engine Upgrades Mech Acceleration +12.25%
Engine Upgrades Mech Acceleration +12.25%
Engine Upgrades Mech Speed +3.75%
Engine Upgrades Mech Speed +3.75%
Engine Upgrades Torso Pitch +10%
Engine Upgrades Torso Speed +15%
Engine Upgrades Torso Speed +15%
Engine Upgrades Torso Yaw +10%
Jump Jets Heat Shielding +15%
Jump Jets Heat Shielding +15%
Jump Jets Lift Speed +7.5%
Jump Jets Lift Speed +7.5%
Jump Jets Vectoring +62.5%
Jump Jets Vectoring +62.5%
Jump Jets Vent Calibration +7.5%
Jump Jets Vent Calibration +7.5%
Engine Upgrades Cool Run +5%
Engine Upgrades Cool Run +5%
Engine Upgrades Heat Containment +7.5%
Engine Upgrades Heat Containment +7.5%
Engine Upgrades Hill Climb +10%
Engine Upgrades Improved Gyros -35%
Engine Upgrades Improved Gyros -35%
Engine Upgrades Quick Ignition -37.5%
Engine Upgrades Speed Retention +30%
Computer & Sensors Advanced Zoom +1
Computer & Sensors Enhanced ECM Systems +22.5%
Computer & Sensors Radar Deprivation +50%
Computer & Sensors Radar Deprivation +50%
Computer & Sensors Seismic Sensor +200
Computer & Sensors Sensor Range +17.5%
Computer & Sensors Sensor Range +17.5%
Computer & Sensors Target Decay +1.75
Computer & Sensors Target Decay +1.75
Computer & Sensors Target Info Gathering +17.5%
Computer & Sensors Target Info Gathering +17.5%
Computer & Sensors Target Retention +400
Computer & Sensors Adv. Salvos +30%
Computer & Sensors Capture Assist +20%
Computer & Sensors Consumable Slot +2
Computer & Sensors Consumable Slot +2
Computer & Sensors Coolant Reserves +1
Computer & Sensors Coolshot Cooldown -25%
Computer & Sensors Enhanced Coolshot +30%
Computer & Sensors Enhanced Narc +20%
Computer & Sensors Enhanced Spotting -20%
Computer & Sensors Expanded Reserves +1
Computer & Sensors Extra UAV +1
Computer & Sensors UAV Duration +10
Computer & Sensors UAV Range +40%

Every other suggestion will take too much time to code-implement and MWO needs something to increase interest asap.

#18 DangerMouse53

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:45 PM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 02 November 2020 - 07:16 PM, said:

And making the early gaming experience better for the Cadets, like removing that god awful mic muted crap.

I wish some of the veterans could be muted lol :P

#19 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:02 PM

View Postbyter75, on 02 November 2020 - 08:35 PM, said:

To try to set expectations straight, episode 130 of the first circuit podcast happened because we (4 people who ramble about battletech) asked Dareon whether he'd like to come on.
The podcast was not 11mins because... well... it's a podcast. It was a mostly unscripted conversation between 5 indviduals (who each have their own things to say) uploaded to the internets.
For the most part, on one end of the spectrum you have the (relatively) quick and concise text post by Dareon, you have the longer (but still quite focused) NGNG podcast in the middle and on the other end you have the long and more free form 1st Circuit podcast to act as an update.

But that is the thing. I know it's a podcast, but those unscripted heart-to-heart isn't what we are interested in. That is not to say that "don't do a podcast", not at all, but if you're ( Daeron and other CMs ) presenting something to the community, we shouldn't have to sift through 2 hours worth of content just to get the what the Community Manager has to say. Not everyone as the time and/or patience to get through those, I'd rather listen to something educational like audio-book on how to speak spanish.

We just go back to the seemingly like "meetings to schedule meetings".

Edited by The6thMessenger, 02 November 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#20 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:21 PM

I am very glad that we are witnessing the emergence of a good new tradition - online conversations about MWO. However, as a player, I am still more interested in specific information:
1) What problems of this game are defined by the PGI leadership (namely, the PGI leadership). If the management forgot something or decided to ignore something, we, the players, could remind about forgotten problems;
2) What problems will be solved first;
3) What methods of solving problems will be adopted.

Daeron, I really wish you the best of luck with your work, I really hope that the game will get out of the hole it fell into. But my hope is weak.
In the spring and summer of this year, there were many discussions on the game's forum about how to make this game at least a little better, a little more interesting. The PGI leadership said it heard what the community was talking about. As a result, decisions were made that made the game even worse than it was in 2019 and early 2020.
The players asked the developers to make the games interesting, balanced, and not the kind that end with a score of 12: 0 - 12: 4.
A lot of work was done for this: developed a new system for calculating matchscores for players; reset the player tiers; set up the matchmaker for a long time. And for what? All these actions did not lead to any positive consequences because the management refuses to understand - no settings for calculating the players tier, no settings for a matchmaker will be effective as long as there is a combined queue of solo and group players in quick play. In such conditions, it would be difficult to set up a matchmaker well even in the best years of the MWO, and with the number of players currently in the game, it is simply impossible.
Previously, the matchmaker always selected teams by tonnage, by the level of players, but even then people were unhappy with the fact that the overwhelming majority of games ended with a score of 12:0 - 12:4. But now it has become even worse: now the cadets (and these are people who have not even played 25 battles!) are participating in games with level 1 players; now the matchmaker may not take into account the tonnage of the furs at all. With a pooled queue, you simply must sacrifice one thing: either tonnage balance or player level balance. But it often happens that both of these components are sacrificed and one team gets a premade out of the strongest players on assault mechs, and the second gets random players several cadets, while the second team is also inferior to the first in terms of the total number of assault mechs.
As a result, I have a reasonable question: what has become better with the introduction of spring-summer changes?
Do you understand that the combined of solo and group queues alone made all the work done in the spring and summer senseless, and this ucombined also will not allow any positive changes to be brought to life in the future?

In order to better understand the problems of MWO, I can advise you and the game developers to play this game more.
Let the developers take part in games in which one team has 10 assault mechs, and the other only 1. Let them be in a team that has 3 cadets, and four very strong players are pre-assembled in the opposing team, or they will find themselves in a situation in Conquest mode, when their team has 7 assault mechs, and the enemy team has 6-8 fast mechs. Maybe then they will begin to understand what problems prevail in fast play. Perhaps then really correct and balanced decisions will finally be made.

P.S. Sorry for such a long message. This is a cry from the heart.

Edited by Voice of Kerensky, 02 November 2020 - 09:42 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users