Wanna Improve ...

4 replies to this topic

#1 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 08:46 AM

... can someone teach me / grant me some hints on what field of play to improve 'n how? Feel like hitting a roadblock in terms of personal performance (again) and just can't figure out / am to tunnelvisioned to see on my own how to improve further and/or lay down bad habits (just in case I have not bummed into my personal limit in terms of play).

Especially the experienced skill gap between myself and some of the opposition in comp games left me back kinda disillusioned.

Help? Thanks!

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2020 - 10:20 AM

The forums are hardly an ideal platform to seek specific advice on how to improve as a player.

You mentioned something about comp games... are you on the comp discord? https://discord.gg/6wxM5hC
There's also the Grimmechs discord, which has a smaller but similar community https://discord.gg/5UW2hzZ

More real-time chatroom discussion is much more conducive to the type of advice you're looking for.
Both places have plenty of advice-seekers and good advice-givers.

#3 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 10:49 AM

The gap between the bottom of Tier 1 to the top of Tier 1 is greater than the gap from Tier 5 to Tier 1. Keep playing and you'll get better.

#4 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:51 AM

AAA my man! The biggest thing you can do is step back, take an honest assessment of where your weaknesses lie, and then come at it with a more goal oriented approach. For example, if you know you arent good at ERLL sniping, then find someone who is and pick their brain. It could be positioning thats your problem, or it could be something as simple as the settings you have for the game or mouse. Also, I feel like faction play is a better analog for comp play than soup queue. A broader array of strategies is used in comp play which forces you to utilize a broader range of skills. Not that you cant in soup queue, but you have 4 mechs and better coordination in faction to get done what you need to.

Comp play itself can be somewhat disheartening in the beginning as well because its literally a brand new play style. You have to learn the pacing of it, and since the games have more meaning be able to handle the "pressure." Also, since the opposing team is generally all good players (depending on what tournament your involved in) it means every player on the opposing team can make you pay for any mistakes. Orders have to be followed with precision and timeliness, you have to hit your shots, and you have to make the right decisions consistently. I know youre new to the comp scene so just keep your head up, and once youve done a few tournaments itll all come around. Also, in most tournaments SRoT wont be matched up against JGx =P

#5 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:07 AM

It is not necessarly JGx-quality I am looking for / pretending myself to achieve ... but skilled feedback on certain fields of play I can improve on or where I habitualized bad habits over the last couple of years. We will see if there still is potential left then ...

And - without denying/questioning the divergence between players in terms of individual skill - I am able to assess (since this years comp has ended for us anyhow) the relevance (or our relative lack) of team based coordination (power positions, on time engagements, short-term adaptation of tactics etc.). Posted Image

Will get myself some feedback from the comp-/ grimm-discord for now. Thank you anyhow.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 06 November 2020 - 01:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users