Have Tier Ratings Based On Mech Weight Class

7 replies to this topic

#1 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:09 AM

4 tier ratings for each player with an overall tier rating.

Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:44 PM

Yes.

#3 MechanicalWraith

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:47 AM

Too few players to make a difference. Otherwise I'd say go ahead and track your every mech's individual performance and let the meta builds and chassis filter out on their own like a self-balancing solaris division system for quick play.

#4 Gold13

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:35 AM

+1 to this. Probably a valid point that the population is not large enough for it to make too much of a difference, but I think it's still a good idea. Personally I'm much worse with lights than I am with heavies, to the point where I feel bad for my team when I take a light as the matchmaker is placing more weight on my skill than I deserve.

#5 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:52 AM

View PostMechanicalWraith, on 16 November 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

Too few players to make a difference. Otherwise I'd say go ahead and track your every mech's individual performance and let the meta builds and chassis filter out on their own like a self-balancing solaris division system for quick play.

My concern with per-chassis rank is that I have 100+ mechs. I could play for dozens of hours and only have appropriate ratings on half my mechs-- I think per weight class is the right mix of granularity.

#6 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:04 AM

View PostBurktross, on 28 November 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

My concern with per-chassis rank is that I have 100+ mechs. I could play for dozens of hours and only have appropriate ratings on half my mechs-- I think per weight class is the right mix of granularity.

I would say per weigght class -> per chassis -> per variant if there is sufficient data for the more granular ones. It's not exactly rocket science.

#7 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:28 AM

The overall skill differences between players are so extremely wide that the nuance of skill differences between one player's various mechs is negligible.

If you are 10 times better than the player next to you in your team, why would it matter if you are 1.5 times better in a heavy than you are in an assault?

#8 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:21 AM

View PostGagis, on 29 November 2020 - 01:28 AM, said:

If you are 10 times better than the player next to you in your team, why would it matter if you are 1.5 times better in a heavy than you are in an assault?

Because I'm not 1.5 times better. In a med and some heavies I can often come out near the top score however in all but very few assaults I probably do worse than most players still getting their cadet bonuses.

I would say a weighted system similar to H3 where you had a rank in a particular game mode but that rank was pulled up or down by your over all rank. A large part about being a good player has little to do with how good you are in a particular mech but rather how well you understand how battles flow, mob mentality, and communication ect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users