339 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:48 PM

Posted Image

Greetings, MechWarriors!

As mentioned in my previous Monday update, I had another meeting with Russ and Matt to go over the feedback we've been gathering from the community on potential future development updates for MechWarrior Online. We have recognized definite areas of consensus from within the participating community members, which I will outline below.

This list below is in no way final, so now is the time to make your voices heard. Don't like something on this list? Let's discuss it here. Want something added to the list? Let's discuss it here. We will also be organizing other methods of community discussion, including some form of a roundtable meeting between the players and the developers (more on that soon).

We will also begin discussing some of these topics with the developers to get technical reviews, and we will make sure the discussions are updated with the information we receive from them. Have a technical question for the developers? Ask here!

So this is it. This is when the real work begins, and I expect we'll be taking the majority of the remaining six weeks prior to the holiday break to really hash everything out into a solid plan for MWO in the new year. I'll be continuing my Monday update posts here, and my Friday appearances on the NGNG podcast with Phil, to keep everyone updated in the process. I will also be participating in the forum threads more closely and regularly, to continue receiving your feedback and keep the discussion flowing and on point.

I realize these are just bullet points. This is a general outline. We can go into greater detail with each topic as we move forward. Not everything listed is guaranteed to make it in. We're still considering more options. These are not listed in any particular order.

NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE

• Change Starting Tier (to 4.5)
  • Update Trial 'Mechs (regularly with appropriate consultation)
  • Increase Cadet Bonus
  • Update In-game Tutorial
  • Establish New Player Video Tutorials (official and community)
  • MWO Discord Channel (update MW5 Discord to MWO/MW5)
  • Update Wiki / Add Wiki Contributors

FEATURES

• Skill Tree / Grind Reduction
  • Remove Torso Heat Spike Mechanic
  • Heat Management Values Not Representative of Heat Efficiency
  • Simplify Command Wheel
  • Remove Time of Day Change in Matches (FPS hit)
  • UI Performance Pass / Scaling?

MAPS

• New Community-Driven Map (Community input from start to finish)
  • Update Unbalanced Maps
  • Spawn Point Fixes

MECHS

• New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
  • New 'Mech Variants
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
  • Weapon Balance Pass
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

MODES

• Review / Update Game Modes
  • Solution for Faction Play
  • Solution for Solaris
  • General Match Maker Improvements
  • 8v8 vs 12v12
  • Solo / Group Queues
  • Examine Match Scoring (AMS)
  • Remove 2 Minute Requirement for Reconnection
  • Private Lobby Updates (More Options, Maps, Host Assignment, More Spectators)
  • Dailies/Weeklies

SOCIAL

• Unit Recruitment Social Chat Tab
  • Remove CBill Recruitment Cost for Units
  • Refer-a-Friend Program
  • Increased API Functionality

NEW FEATURES

• Special Event Queue (Possible Faction Play/Solaris and 8v8/12v12 Solution)
  • Advance the Timeline

MONETIZATION

• New Player Packs
  • Starter Packs (Brawling, Long Range, Heavy)
  • Themed Packs (Pop Culture, NASCAR)
  • New Items (Metallic Patterns, Custom UI Colors, Voice Packs, Sound Packs, Laser Color Customization, MechLab Customization, Global Patterns)
  • Improve Cockpit Item Bonuses (added value)

No Guts No Galaxy Podcast #216

#2 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:58 PM

First!

#3 killkimno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:59 PM

Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)

Yes!!

#4 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:08 PM

Third!

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:11 PM

Lot of good stuff but,

What here is going to bring in 50,000 new players?

Edited by Monkey Lover, 09 November 2020 - 09:12 PM.

#6 UnPh4ZeD

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

Please get Cadets out of games with T1 pilots/groups ASAP. Any bump from Steam/GOG will be wiped out if players are just getting annihilated before they know what is going on.

#7 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:17 PM

And not a single word about the combined queue of group / solo players in quick play.
Daeron, you asked, what else we can added on this list? I will add. It is a pity that the management continues to stubbornly ignore the destructive effect of the decisions made in the spring and summer. It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to understand that it's impossible to balance matches while the queue of solo and group players is combined. This is impossible neither in terms of the tonnage of furs nor in terms of the level of players. I have already said this many times. It is a pity that no one from the management wants to hear and understand this. Why does the management just with inexplicable stubbornness not undertake to even discuss this issue? Is this some kind of social experiment? Or has management made a wager with someone on how long the game can survive with this unbalancing factor?

The list is interesting. It remains only to wait a while to see which items from this list will survive and will be accepted for implementation.

P.S. I still wish you well, Daeron.

#8 SuperMCDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:18 PM

I would like to see new players start with a free mech once they've done the cadet training. A solid medium or heavy they can use while learning the game. Nothing fancy, but with a decent load out and it will be something to earn xp in.

#9 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:21 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 November 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

Greetings, MechWarriors!

As mentioned in my previous Monday update, I had another meeting with Russ and Matt to go over the feedback we've been gathering from the community on potential future development updates for MechWarrior Online. We have recognized definite areas of consensus from within the participating community members, which I will outline below.

This list below is in no way final, so now is the time to make your voices heard. Don't like something on this list? Let's discuss it here. Want something added to the list? Let's discuss it here. We will also be organizing other methods of community discussion, including some form of a roundtable meeting between the players and the developers (more on that soon).

We will also begin discussing some of these topics with the developers to get technical reviews, and we will make sure the discussions are updated with the information we receive from them. Have a technical question for the developers? Ask here!

So this is it. This is when the real work begins, and I expect we'll be taking the majority of the remaining six weeks prior to the holiday break to really hash everything out into a solid plan for MWO in the new year. I'll be continuing my Monday update posts here, and my Friday appearances on the NGNG podcast with Phil, to keep everyone updated in the process. I will also be participating in the forum threads more closely and regularly, to continue receiving your feedback and keep the discussion flowing and on point.

I realize these are just bullet points. This is a general outline. We can go into greater detail with each topic as we move forward. Not everything listed is guaranteed to make it in. We're still considering more options. These are not listed in any particular order.

NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE
  • Change Starting Tier (to 4.5)
  • Update Trial 'Mechs (regularly with appropriate consultation)
  • Increase Cadet Bonus
  • Update In-game Tutorial
  • Establish New Player Video Tutorials (official and community)
  • MWO Discord Channel (update MW5 Discord to MWO/MW5)
  • Update Wiki / Add Wiki Contributors

FEATURES
  • Heat Management Values Not Representative of Heat Efficiency
  • Simplify Command Wheel
  • Remove Time of Day Change in Matches (FPS hit)
  • UI Performance Pass / Scaling?

MAPS
  • New Community-Driven Map (Community input from start to finish)
  • Update Unbalanced Maps
  • Spawn Point Fixes

MECHS
  • New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
  • New 'Mech Variants
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
  • Weapon Balance Pass
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

MODES
  • Review / Update Game Modes
  • Solution for Faction Play
  • Solution for Solaris
  • General Match Maker Improvements
  • 8v8 vs 12v12
  • Examine Match Scoring (AMS)
  • Remove 2 Minute Requirement for Reconnection
  • Private Lobby Updates (More Options, Maps, Host Assignment, More Spectators)
  • Dailies/Weeklies

SOCIAL
  • Unit Recruitment Social Chat Tab
  • Remove CBill Recruitment Cost for Units
  • Refer-a-Friend Program
  • Increased API Functionality

NEW FEATURES
  • Special Event Queue (Possible Faction Play/Solaris and 8v8/12v12 Solution)

MONETIZATION
  • New Player Packs
  • Starter Packs (Brawling, Long Range, Heavy)
  • Themed Packs (Pop Culture, NASCAR)
  • New Items (Metallic Paints, Custom UI Colors, Voice Packs, Sound Packs, Laser Color Customization, MechLab Customization)
  • Improve Cockpit Item Bonuses (added value)

No Guts No Galaxy Podcast #216

</p>

better late than never.

interested in seeing the progress on each monday's report.

i do weekly reports at my work and find it helps focus on what's actually being done, and at times a bit of chore. so for that aspect, kudos for doing the actual work.

#10 IbiEvacua

Rookie

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:24 PM

Let's see AI bots. I know the community hates them, but every other game with this business model manages it just fine.

If anything, you'll get some bot match players who are happy to spend $$ on a pretty stable of 'mechs, and it'll keep the filthy casuals out of random 12v12s.

#11 SuperMCDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostUnPh4ZeD, on 09 November 2020 - 09:13 PM, said:

Please get Cadets out of games with T1 pilots/groups ASAP. Any bump from Steam/GOG will be wiped out if players are just getting annihilated before they know what is going on.

This should be the simplest of tasks, and should be done immediately, of not sooner. Do it this week. It's incredibly important.

#12 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:26 PM

Havin' listened through the latest Podcast 3 times and checking this general list of general bulletins now ... I am kinda unsure what to make of it tbh. Will elaborate later ...

#13 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:27 PM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 09 November 2020 - 09:17 PM, said:

And not a single word about the combined queue of group / solo players in quick play.
Daeron, you asked, what else we can added on this list? I will add. It is a pity that the management continues to stubbornly ignore the destructive effect of the decisions made in the spring and summer. It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to understand that it's impossible to balance matches while the queue of solo and group players is combined. This is impossible neither in terms of the tonnage of furs nor in terms of the level of players. I have already said this many times. It is a pity that no one from the management wants to hear and understand this. Why does the management just with inexplicable stubbornness not undertake to even discuss this issue? Is this some kind of social experiment? Or has management made a wager with someone on how long the game can survive with this unbalancing factor?

The list is interesting. It remains only to wait a while to see which items from this list will survive and will be accepted for implementation.

P.S. I still wish you well, Daeron.

Separating solo and group queue is definitely on the table! I think for it to happen though, other things might have to happen first, like for example moving Solaris and Faction Play to being event-based. This would put more players into the Quick Play queue, and potentially allow for a separated solo and group queues. I also think reducing matches to 8v8 could play a part in this. Added it to the list, let's talk about it!

#14 jvb50m

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:28 PM

This is all fine and dandy, but I don't know how we can get many new players in a 8 year old game that still doesn't run well on modern hardware.....

Personally, I feel like it would be better to just do some basic balance changes and possibly find a way to update the game engine.

#15 XDevilsChariotX

• PipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:33 PM

I think a bullet point should be added under the Map section and I would have to say it's one of the biggest gripes about game play.
  • Map redesigns to reduce Nascar (adding obstacles or blocking off areas)
More community feedback needed on which maps are the worst and possible solutions?

#16 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:37 PM

Fair bit there.
Will individual threads be created and managed for discussion on these points? Or can we let rip in one big messy thread?

#17 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:43 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 November 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

FEATURES

YES to the first, but a bit iffy on the second, though mostly YES (assuming it's that heat spike when you lose a side torso with a Clan XL or IS LFE)

#18 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:43 PM

Map and Mode Voting is holy untouchable or is it in discussion?

Regarding time of day on maps and FPS impact - this is obviously due to shadows isnt it?
Should be solvable a lot with shadows settings.

Aside of that make it suggest that each time a map is started the game decides what time of day it is from a random value and have it "static" throughout that game bat if you play several game at the same map it can have several different set static times if day.

Edited by Thorqemada, 09 November 2020 - 09:47 PM.

#19 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:44 PM

Ammo-Ton Quirks for some lights. Preferably Urbanmech.

Make heavy-ballistic weapons a legit-build for the urbanmech. Less ammo bins, more tonnage for something else.

#20 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:57 PM

View PostXDevilsChariotX, on 09 November 2020 - 09:33 PM, said:

I think a bullet point should be added under the Map section and I would have to say it's one of the biggest gripes about game play.
  • Map redesigns to reduce Nascar (adding obstacles or blocking off areas)
More community feedback needed on which maps are the worst and possible solutions?

Map updates certainly covers what you're referring to and will be a part of the discussion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users