Low Performance On High End System

17 replies to this topic

#1 SunderODeath

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 05:36 PM

Hello everyone. I just put together a pretty beastly PC for a friend and have had the oppurtunity to play around with it for the past week. The build consists of...

i7-10700k
32GB DDR4-3000MHz
Asus ROG Z940E Motherboard
Gigabyte RTX 3080
Samsung 970EVO M.2 NVMe

All hooked up to a 1080p 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I've played through the first few campaign missions and performance seems ok there. 100+ FPS most of the time. However, when I load up an instant action mission and set the map size to large and difficulty to 100 I see my fps dip to the mid 40s at certain points. This is normally when a large number of units are on screen. My GPU usage is pretty low, and I would assume on large maps with many units spawning in and out the game becomes CPU bound.

This PC seems to smash through anything else I throw at it so my question to you guys is... Is this game just poorly optimized ( would make sense considering how poorly optimized MWO is ) or is this something I should be concerned with before I give my buddy back this PC.

As always. I appreciate the you're input guys.

Edit: Also wanted to include that Ray tracing is disabled. I've tried both DX11 and DX12 and it seems 12 helps out a little in these CPU bound situations but introduces minor stutters when large groups of units spawn in, like for instance when a dropship comes through and drops off a lance of mech.

Edited by SunderODeath, 11 November 2020 - 05:39 PM.

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:40 AM

PGi isn't known for optimizing their stuff
More of a minimal viable flavour
Small indie studio with big ideas but not willing to polish them

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 16 November 2020 - 02:40 AM.

#3 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:21 PM

Right now, I'd wait until next month to see what happens. Its possible they will offer another patch with performance improvements since its releasing on Steam and dlc is supposed to drop, etc.

I played about 30h with RT + DLSS 2.0 on 2060 and about 40-30fps at 1080p (so also this is dx12 because of RT). All of that was from a regular old hdd. I recently put it on an old original consumer ssd that started working again but didn't really affect the fps.

But, never seen drops compared to the drops you see on the 3080. That would be < 15fps for me and that didn't happen in 30h of the campaign or in instant. Maybe only non-RT has this issue.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 18 November 2020 - 01:34 PM.

#4 memorandum

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • Locationmidtjylland, denmark

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:05 AM

i7-8700k overclocked
16gb ram overclocked
msi rtx 2080 overclocked
asus maximus x apex with a samsung ssd 970 evo 1TB m2 nvme on the dimm 2 card next to the ram

i'm running mw5 ok, everything on max with dlss and rt on, 2560x1080p@120hz for ulmb and dx12 ofc.
i do get a little lag when i first enter the hanger, but that's because of rt and the first time i use the last zoom window in a map, if i remove rt then it's flawless

#5 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

1080p 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

#6 SunderODeath

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

View PostSomersetStriker, on 18 November 2020 - 01:21 PM, said:

But, never seen drops compared to the drops you see on the 3080. That would be < 15fps for me and that didn't happen in 30h of the campaign or in instant. Maybe only non-RT has this issue.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not quite sure i understand what you mean. And I made a mistake on the orignal post. RT was actually enabled. Realistically in the most intense situations with big maps and massive numbers of units the lowest I see with RT off is around 50. That seems realistic for a poorly threaded game. Its MWO all over again. I was hoping that given PGI was using UE4 and essentially developing the game from the ground up that they would be able to produce a game more GPU bound.

Apparently that's not the case. I'm convinced its not my hardware since it absolutely blasts through anything I throw at it. At 1080p I get a rock solid 140fps in Warzone and BFV. Seems to just be another case of PGI releasing an unoptimized game. What a shame. Although I'm hopeful it will improve over time.

As to why I still am at 1080p 144hz is because I'll take FPS over resolution any day. And since my eyesight isn't that great and I sit about a foot and a half away from the monitor I get acceptable image quality. The build I'm using is actually my buddies. I assembled it for him and instead of charging him for the service. I told him just let me hang on to the build for a few weeks so I'm using the only monitor I have available to me. When my buddy gets the build back he's got a 32inch 1440p 240hz Samsung Odyssey G7.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:42 PM

did you turn on raytracing or something?

i7 8086k
16gb ram ddr4 (not sure about the speed)
asus b360-i mobo
zotac 2070 super mini

runs the game fine at 4k with ray tracing and dlss off, i have to drop the res to 1080 and turn on dlss to use rt at a reasonable level. its kind of choppy though.

i dont expect ray tracing to run well for another 2 or 3 video card generations.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 November 2020 - 06:48 PM.

#8 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:05 AM

Not saying that must be the case here, but when you have good average FPS but poor 1% or 0.1% FPS, it could be the RAM (also poor optimization of the game itself),

Try to overclock, or buy some faster RAM that could go for 4000mhz or so may help you getting a smother gaming experience (higher min FPS).

#9 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

View PostSunderODeath, on 21 November 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not quite sure i understand what you mean. And I made a mistake on the orignal post. RT was actually enabled. Realistically in the most intense situations with big maps and massive numbers of units the lowest I see with RT off is around 50. That seems realistic for a poorly threaded game. Its MWO all over again. I was hoping that given PGI was using UE4 and essentially developing the game from the ground up that they would be able to produce a game more GPU bound.

I read RT disabled so didn't realize it was enabled. Don't see enabled anywhere so took it that it was disabled.

Sadly, they announced yesterday that they are delaying everything so possibly no hope for any improvements anytime soon. They still could, but, there is a performance fix mod listed here. Its possible that's the drop you were having just maybe. Still I didn't see it and don't know why: https://www.sarna.ne...arna+(Sarna.net)

Edited by SomersetStriker, 26 November 2020 - 01:17 PM.

#10 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:07 PM

Hey guys!

Since you're talking about ray tracing...
My rig:
ryzen 7 3700x
rtx 2060 super
16 gb ram 3200

however,
I don't have an option to turn rtx on or off in the graphics menu. I have a choice of selecting different stages of DLSS. My whole mechbay is in this constant "cycling" flickering, which looks worse with the lower stages of DLSS. Base game stutters a lot, I had to scale down most of the graphics settings. I used to run advanced zoom without any issues, now the game crashes virtually every time I use it.
I am currently using Navid's Reloaded mod.

Any help, insight, suggestions would be much appreciated.

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:04 PM

View PostNightbird, on 20 November 2020 - 11:46 AM, said:

1080p 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Frame rate to the clouds

Or

Gotta save more money after the beastly build

#12 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 27 November 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

Frame rate to the clouds

Or

Gotta save more money after the beastly build

Nan man, my 1080 TI can already saturate that low resolution and FPS. How we consume our computer is by monitor and sound, and sound doesn't need much. If you can only see half of what your PC is capable of, then you might has well have wasted half your money.

#13 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:48 PM

View Postpacifica812, on 27 November 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

rtx 2060 super

however,
I don't have an option to turn rtx on or off in the graphics menu. I have a choice of selecting different stages of DLSS. My whole mechbay is in this constant "cycling" flickering, which looks worse with the lower stages of DLSS. Base game stutters a lot, I had to scale down most of the graphics settings. I used to run advanced zoom without any issues, now the game crashes virtually every time I use it.
I am currently using Navid's Reloaded mod.

Any help, insight, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can think of some things why you won't get RT. 1) You turned off game updates before RT was enabled, 2) Your gpu driver version is failing to register as RT for the game (or failing in some way), 3) Your OS version is doing that instead (not actually updating), 4) your directx install is messed up.

The game should show it if you give it all the right ingredients.

You can sometimes get crashes and issues until you change graphical settings. For RT when I first enabled it there were some crashes. Changed settings, changed settings again and no more.

Oh, and I believe crashes are also possible if things outside of the game are a bit off as well. There's some crashes that I think I've only seen on another OS that was very different. If the game is given something bad to work with, there's not much it can do really.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 06 December 2020 - 05:53 PM.

#14 SunderODeath

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 03:06 AM

View PostNightbird, on 28 November 2020 - 10:23 AM, said:

Nan man, my 1080 TI can already saturate that low resolution and FPS. How we consume our computer is by monitor and sound, and sound doesn't need much. If you can only see half of what your PC is capable of, then you might has well have wasted half your money.

See how it does with a game like cyberpunk. After experiencing high framerates its really hard to go back to anything less than 100fps. Go check out the 1080p benchmarks over here at guru3d...

Cyberpunk 2077: PC graphics perf benchmark review - Game performance 1920x1080 (Full HD) (guru3d.com)

Your 1080ti averages 55fps at 1080p and 36fps at 1440p. Keep in mind these are just averages so the 1% lows and .01% lows are most likely much lower than that. Mean while even an RTX 3090 only averages 49fps at 4k. So in a nutshell thats why I'll stick with a good 1080p high refresh gsync display.

Edited by SunderODeath, 21 December 2020 - 03:13 AM.

#15 Bede19002

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:39 AM

View PostSunderODeath, on 11 November 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

Hello everyone. I just put together a pretty beastly PC for a friend and have had the oppurtunity to play around with it for the past week. The build consists of...

i7-10700k
32GB DDR4-3000MHz
Asus ROG Z940E Motherboard
Gigabyte RTX 3080
Samsung 970EVO M.2 NVMe

All hooked up to a 1080p 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I've played through the first few campaign missions and performance seems ok there. 100+ FPS most of the time. However, when I load up an instant action mission and set the map size to large and difficulty to 100 I see my fps dip to the mid 40s at certain points. This is normally when a large number of units are on screen. My GPU usage is pretty low, and I would assume on large maps with many units spawning in and out the game becomes CPU bound.

This PC seems to smash through anything else I throw at it so my question to you guys is... Is this game just poorly optimized ( would make sense considering how poorly optimized MWO is ) or is this something I should be concerned with before I give my buddy back this PC.

As always. I appreciate the you're input guys.

Edit: Also wanted to include that Ray tracing is disabled. I've tried both DX11 and DX12 and it seems 12 helps out a little in these CPU bound situations but introduces minor stutters when large groups of units spawn in, like for instance when a dropship comes through and drops off a lance of mech.

is 40 FPS really that bad?

#16 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:27 AM

View PostBede19002, on 19 January 2021 - 06:39 AM, said:

Seems to depend on the person. 60+ or even 100+ fps never did anything to ever change my mind. I only need 1080p 30fps to have fun. Some people just seem to be unable to.

On continuing the original topic, I played for many more hours this month so far around 30 hours and not seeing any major performance problems while in a mech (or not noticing anything anyway).

I only notice performance drops when on drop ship while mechs are rotating toward the door and after loading/mission when in hangar as everything is still loading into memory or being rendered. But performance returns to normal.

Do notice that the shader cache can get to around 1.4GB up from 1.1GB at game start, maybe higher. Could have something to do with some performance issues with stuff still being added while the game is played.

To note, I'm using 2 ssd's. The game is on a around 10 year old ssd, the shader cache / savegame folder and OS are on the other recent ssd. Very recent Nvidia driver, latest EGS client, and Windows updates all up-to-date. Game has ray tracing and dlss enabled maximum quality, aliasing max, the rest are mostly high and medium and shadows low, Windows game mode is disabled, and believe the gpu driver settings are entirely default with a clean install each driver.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 20 January 2021 - 12:04 PM.

#17 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 February 2021 - 03:02 PM

Yeah... Regarding graphics and optimization. Good grief I hope at least on Xbox one/ Series X I can escape the messing around to get the graphics and effects to stay stable.

I thought I had good enough hardware. But my mechs in-game looked like polished marble. NO textures. Well sometimes, then sometimes none at all. Be it in the mech hangar OR in-mission. Or they could stay on the mechs until mission were done then disappear.... You know the low graphics memes around Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 and XBO? Yeah, thats BAD. Just not exactly pop ins. Also I do manage to have ran the game with all in of textures and such they just dont... well " hold on " to the game..

#18 SunderODeath

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:39 PM

View PostBede19002, on 19 January 2021 - 06:39 AM, said:

Once you've experienced a locked 100+ fps than yea, at least for me personally, 40fps is pretty painful. Even with a g-sync monitor. G-sync does essentially nothing for you if you are in a CPU bound situation. Don't get me wrong the game is playable at 40fps no doubt but mouse input at anything less than 60-70fps on this particular monitor starts to feel really bad. At least to me. It seems to be a very subjective thing. There are people like the above poster that are perfectly happy with 30+fps. And in single player games framerate certainly isn't as much of an issue compared to competitive online shooters. In multiplayer situations, like the one I've just described, a higher framerate gives the player an objective advantage.

Edit:

As an aside this brings up a problem that I feel needs to be addressed. PGI seem to have a problem writing efficient multi threaded code. MWO is the same way. As someone with software developement experience I can certainly have empathy towards PGI's engineers. Writing multi threaded code is inherently difficult.

However, I think it would be in PGI's best interest to bring in some engineers who really understand writing multi threaded code. This is an area they have historically struggled massively with and I am somewhat flabbergasted to see them repeat the same mistakes in MW5. I can give MWO a pass because from what I remember many of the coders who put together the foundations of MWO left shortly after the closed beta. Leaving us with situations like the infamous LRM swirl effect that was in the game for a while, subsequently removed, and when a large percentage of the playerbase expressed they would like to see the effect return PGI essentially said that bringing the effect back was prohibitively difficult because the original coder who designed that effect left, and PGI didn't have any one left that really understood that aspect of the code so they just decided to leave it alone. As someone who has worked in software engineering that screams to me that there is a huge problem with current team ( at the time ) being afraid to touch code they didn't write for fear of breaking other aspects of the code. That is an absolutely MASSIVE problem.

Edited by SunderODeath, 19 February 2021 - 01:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users