127 replies to this topic

#101 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:51 PM

View PostAlreech, on 20 November 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

Faction Play Drop Decks are in the game now, they go from 1 (Scouting) to 4 Mechs (Invasion). Creating a new system would cost more time & money than to adopt the Faction Play Drop decks.

Maybe something like using 2 scouting like drop decks for each class in Quickplay (more for MCs).
You select the class you want to play and can choose your drop deck in the pre match lobby.

Both systems already exist, it's work either way. I forgot scouting had 1 mech drop decks, which is functionally similar to what I was suggesting.

What sucks is that giving people too many options lets them have an optimal mech for every match. ie, LURM boat for highlands, brawler for mining, gauss/ppc for rube, etc. Restricting it to one mech loadout at least makes it be builds within the same mech. Making it drop deck centric makes it a smidge P2W if you can buy drop decks with MC.

Of course, if you're modifying maps, then you'd be better off making the existing maps play better for different builds anyway.

#102 MarsThunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 199 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:57 AM

View PostMcLaine, on 21 November 2020 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'd like to be able to specify maps that I DON'T want to play on in quick play.
This is obviously impossible. A map is selected AFTER the groups are formed.

#103 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

• Spawn Point Fixes

Canyon Network in general needs spawn points tightened up as long as lances aren't dropping by weight class.

E.g., on Skirmish, the - the C3 spawn point is very far from the rest of the team; this was fine when C3 was always lights/mediums, but if you spawn as a slow assault w/out jump jets, you are essentially out of the game (dead if the enemy team spawns lights on the north side of the map).

Likewise for Hibernal Rift, there are some spawn points that just knock certain assaults/slow heavies out of the game before it starts.

#104 Timber Ghost

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

I think lances need to spawn closer together.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a set of 8v8 maps, and a set of 12v12 maps? The little maps like Frozen City Classic, Forest Colony classic and other smaller maps would be in a 8v8 que. 8v8 and 12v12 would be random, and once those teams are set, then provide a list of 3 or 4 of those maps to vote on. Could be a good chance to bring back a couple of the other classic maps as well. Some maps could even be a part of both size matches. Such as Canyon Network, or HPG manifold. Might be more difficult than it sounds, but I do miss some of the maps like the original caustic valley, original terra therma, and original river city. Might be a chance to bring them back in 8v8 mode.

we also talked about possibly adding the faction play maps to QP. I think they could be a bunch of fun if we just reshaped the borders, and adjusted spawn points. Like Hellbore Springs. Cut the map off at the gates, and spawn in G3 and C3. Fighting would take place in the F3 to D3 area. You could do this with any FP map. Some of them, you could fight on either side of the gates even. Sounds like minimal work to add maps.

#105 Cluster Fox

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationStuck on a rock in Grim Plexus

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

A simple suggestion that requires some map making adjustments.

Review all maps that have only ramps that go up counter-clockwise of a central super-cover feature. Ramps should allow to go up both ways ideally. Canyon and Hibernal are best examples of one way ramps. Honestly that's just maps designed for NASCAR.
HPG is a good example of ramps done well.

Dilute the central feature in an array of smaller lower features.

Add chokepoints to rotation movement. This way NASCAR becomes more problematic.

Edited by Cluster Fox, 22 November 2020 - 10:34 AM.

#106 MarsThunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 199 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:08 AM

View PostCluster Fox, on 22 November 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

Add chokepoints to rotation movement. This way NASCAR becomes more problematic.

... or something like trenches as I am suggesting for Polar Highlands.

#107 Fruguy

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:24 AM

Add maps that are not designed to allow a NASCAR to the action.

#108 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:14 AM

View PostFruguy, on 23 November 2020 - 08:24 AM, said:

Add maps that are not designed to allow a NASCAR to the action.
That's not how and why NASCAR happens.

#109 thievingmagpi

• 1,562 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:43 PM

View PostHorseman, on 23 November 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

That's not how and why NASCAR happens.

It's not the sole reason but bad map design absolutely encourages it

#110 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 527 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

No re-spawn encourages Nascar on all maps. It would be WAY more chaotic and warlike to be able fight an endless re-spawn of mechs for an hour like the ole'days or thirty minutes for those with weaker constitutions. Posted Image

#111 thievingmagpi

• 1,562 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 23 November 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

No re-spawn encourages Nascar on all maps. It would be WAY more chaotic and warlike to be able fight an endless re-spawn of mechs for an hour like the ole'days or thirty minutes for those with weaker constitutions. Posted Image

Oh you mean an hour getting farmed at spawn?

#112 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

Oh you mean an hour getting farmed at spawn?

You can mitigate spawn camping if the respective spawn areas are off limits with some indestructible defenses. You just have to make sure the spawned mechs are out of LoS. FP doesn't manage this with respawns because the dropships are only there long enough to drop off mechs, so it's not much of a deterrent.

#113 thievingmagpi

• 1,562 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:21 PM

View Postyrrot, on 23 November 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

You can mitigate spawn camping if the respective spawn areas are off limits with some indestructible defenses. You just have to make sure the spawned mechs are out of LoS. FP doesn't manage this with respawns because the dropships are only there long enough to drop off mechs, so it's not much of a deterrent.

The effect is functionally the same. Bad team gets pushed in, good camps just outside of danger area and watches all the lanes. EZ farming. Bad team hides and wastes everyone's time. Yawn.

#114 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

The effect is functionally the same. Bad team gets pushed in, good camps just outside of danger area and watches all the lanes. EZ farming. Bad team hides and wastes everyone's time. Yawn.

thinking to Battlefield Bad Company 2 and the sniper Camping by Spawnpoints ...

#115 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

It's not the sole reason but bad map design absolutely encourages it
No. It would be occurring around ANY terrain feature whatsoever. The only map on which there's no NASCAR would be a completely flat plane with no cover.

NASCAR doesn't start with people running away as some posters claimed, it starts with slow mechs trying to follow the team's fast flankers for no good reason.
And I'm sorry, but there's no way to fix players acting stupid.

Edited by Horseman, Yesterday, 12:34 AM.

#116 Sneakytrig

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 AM

Generally most of the terrain types one would think of have already been covered.

For those who hate nascar, what about a simpler map, kind of linked to the idea of Boreal Reach in solaris. Obviously with a bit more going on in terms of map details like cover and maybe a side or underground tunnel. That kind of up and down map kind of promotes a pretty straight forward fight where you can just duke it out. Maybe even a wild west theme or something

#117 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 185 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

It's EZ farming if one team is that much better than the other anyway, even without respawns. That's a matchmaker problem, not a respawn problem.

#118 VileKnight

• PipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 37 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current maps in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Community-Driven Map (Community input from start to finish)
  • Update Unbalanced Maps
  • Spawn Point Fixes

• This might be a small thing, but I would love to see the FP maps made available in private lobby.
  • Like Ragedog4 said, reskins of existing maps would be fun.
  • Doing a pass over the current maps for invisible walls/collisions would be great.
  • Put classic Terra back into rotation, or at least make it available in private lobby.
  • More inclement weather for some of the maps. This would be really fun.
  • Community map idea - I admit that I don't have the skillset to help create a map (but would be willing to help the effort in other ways if I can), but what about an underwater map? Perhaps I am out of my mind, but I recall there being one in MW2:GB that was interesting. I know that the community has some mad scientists hanging around, so we should go for broke on the ideas.

#119 Lieutenant Hedgehog

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 22 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 AM

I said it before I'll say it again, if there's ONE thing that could instantly breathe some life into the game it's a few more maps

FP Maps in Quick Play
New drop zones
Add weather / day time conditions to maps that don't have them

Easy quick wins, which leverage already existing dev work, & would bring some much needed variety to Quick Play while bigger improvements are getting worked on

(off topic, but the PSR tier adjustment for new comers also would be a small change that makes a big difference)

Edited by Lieutenant Hedgehog, Yesterday, 10:01 AM.

#120 thievingmagpi

• 1,562 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:30 PM

View PostHorseman, on 24 November 2020 - 12:32 AM, said:

No. It would be occurring around ANY terrain feature whatsoever. The only map on which there's no NASCAR would be a completely flat plane with no cover.

Lmao, which is why it occurs more on some maps than others.

Lmao, which is why the best qp map is the only one which was the only one specifically designed as a MP map which is the one where Nascar is least common

View Postyrrot, on 24 November 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

It's EZ farming if one team is that much better than the other anyway, even without respawns.

No, it's EZ farming because that's how the mechanics of MWO and shooters in general work.

View Postyrrot, on 24 November 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

That's a matchmaker problem, not a respawn problem.

Matchmaker is entirely separate from the issue.

Respawns in MWO qp would be absolute hot trash because it would be constant spawn farming.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users