Gauss Ammo Re-Count

2 replies to this topic

#1 Dotdot

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:32 AM

AFAIR. This has been few times brought up, but no action was taken. Mind that I dont have access to MWO right now, so my numbers might be off.

As is, gauss ammo is just a penetrator and possibly some sort of sabot. AC ammunition seem to be something more conventional, be it APCBC or APFSDS. Though given the cockpit bang, it seems to be first one of sorts. This means, each round not only include projectiles, but also huge "boom" part, that does "BANG" in order to give speed to round. Gauss does not suffer from this, as it lack the "boom" part. Gauss rifle is powered my EM fields in progressive coils. So rounds dont waste room in storage for fuel.
Given above, it makes no sense that gauss or even heavy gauss rounds/ton/slot have lesser density over AC5. AFAIR, AC20 has 7 per ton, heavy gauss 5. Simple penetrator with possible sabot cant take much more space than full blown shell!

Secondly. Im not sure how heavy gauss is described in lore, but... Penetration is derived from speed of projectile - more or less, some hard stuff inside helps, but speed is the key. Ask NASA. As is, there is no need to have two types of ammo for gauss. Simply heavier version of rifle, with more coils or more powerful coils would do.

Thirdly - I understand that that "its per ton" ammo count, but as is, its a bit of skewed metric to meassure something. Sure, possibly, container of gauss penetrators might weight more than box of AC5, but this is the point we have to leverage it properly.

So Id suggest following:
- boost ammo for gauss per ton so it makes sense( possibly 1.25 x AC5 at the least)
- either get rid of heavy gauss ammo or add splash damage AKA - "heavy part" is some sort of extra coating that is displaced when penetrator goes into mech
- add tiny bit of heat to displace either after shot or when gauss is being charged
- possibly increase speed
- evaluate range - gauss rifles work with speed, which gives range, projectiles dont have HI-EX part. Its just kinetic energy so something that works at 270m makes no sense!
- possibly increase charged time and add discharge + heat?

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:46 PM

Weapon properties in MWO are fully about game design and balance, faithfully based on a board game that doesn't even pretend to make sense when it comes to physics.

None of what you said is relevant to this game.

Edited by Gagis, 21 November 2020 - 10:47 PM.

#3 Dotdot

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:30 AM

Way to contradict yourself in one post mate:

View PostGagis, on 21 November 2020 - 10:46 PM, said:

Weapon properties in MWO are fully about game design and balance,

vs

None of what you said is relevant to this game.

You are entitled to your opinion, does not make it correct one nor wise one. If you read carefully this post is also about balancing gauss rifles and making them playable, rather than novelty for fun. As is, it is relevant.

faithfully based on a board game that doesn't even pretend to make sense when it comes to physics.

Hmm, remind me how it follow:
- hot loading
- spanning mounts
- minimum range for GR ?
- minimum range for AC ? (What? Physics you say?)
Yeah, I guess it does not follow rules to the letter. there has to be balance between rules of table top and computer game. Grand example is how now LRM/ATMs arc or lack of minimal range for GR as it makes no sense from PHYSICS POV(AFAIR its part of tabletop?).

EDIT: btw, anything on ghost heat?

Edited by Dotdot, 23 November 2020 - 04:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users