The Fire Moth's Speed Problem

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Fire Moth (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you consider giving the Fire Moth's speed the same as the Flea's max engine cap for MWO?

1. Yes - It's a small price to pay, but why not? (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No - I don't want it in MWO if its speed is going to get nerfed. (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

If you have or would have picked No, then which alternative would you have?

1. Hellion (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Baboon (Howler) (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

The Fire Moth
Posted Image
We all know about the Fire Moth (Dasher) and its history. It is known for being as quick as the dickens. It has became a respected figure ever since the days of MechWarrior 2 during the 90s. The fact that it has been one of the most highly-popular demanded Mech (844 votes on Gas Guzzler's Mech Pack Poll) is a testament to its reputation.

The Problem:
The main flaw of why the Fire Moth is not in MWO is due to its high speed (162.0 km/h [216.0 km/h with MASC]). As stated by the Devs, the speed would break the game with MASC if this was to be added into the game because of the current build of CryEngine.

Alternative:
However, two things that could be done with it is giving it the highest engine speed of the Flea it so that way it could be in the game. The Flea's highest engine cap is 175. So with it the speed would go at 137.7 kph (165.2 with MASC), but with full speed tweak, it goes at 146 kph (177.6 with MASC). The devs could pass it off as an XL 200 Engine if they wanted to. But I know that not everyone likes this idea and they would rather prefer that the Fire Moth has its traditional speed back. So therein lies a choice, would you rather have a Fire Moth with is traditional speed or would you give it the Flea's speed so it could be in the game?

Opportunity:
If the Fire Moth were to be in MWO it would be one of the first clan light mechs mechs with MASC, as there are not any clan light mechs that have MASC. When you look at the other Clan Mechs and their weight brackets, there are different mechs from those classes that have MASC.

Clan MASC Mechs:
Clan Lights
None

Clan Mediums
Shadow Cat (OmniMech)
Black Lanner (OmniMech)

Clan Heavies
Hellfire (BattleMech)

Clan Assaults
Executioner (OmniMech)

Alternative Mechs:
Of course, there are two mechs that can fill out the Fire Moth's role as the Clan Light MASC Mechs. Those are the 30-ton Hellion OmniMech and the 20-ton Baboon (Howler). Both are Clan lights that have MASC and could act in place for the Fire Moth.
Hellion
Posted Image
There are alternatives to that though. The first Clan light that has MASC is the Hellion. It is a 30 ton mech that is an OmniMech and is a safer alternative to the Fire Moth's speed (119 km/h [151 km/h with MASC]). The best part about the Hellion is that it has MASC across all variants.

Baboon (Howler)
Posted Image
As for another safe alternative, you have the Baboon (a.k.a the Howler). This Mech has 20 tons but it is a BatteMech instead of an OmniMech. It only has MASC on two variants (2 and 3 'Devil') with both speeds at 130 with it.

So which would you have? Would you rather have the Fire Moth reduced speed or would you rather have one of these light alternatives?

Edited by Will9761, 28 November 2020 - 10:29 AM.

#2 Seth Kalasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 573 posts
  • LocationVirgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Terra

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:22 AM

As one programmer said, "if developers are saying that something is impossible that simply means that the amount of time and resources needed to spend are beyond of what is planned".
So FireMoth it is.

Edited by Seth Kalasa, 25 November 2020 - 05:23 AM.

#3 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:36 AM

As for me, I would gladly have the Fire Moth in the game. The halving the speed would be a small price to pay, but a worthy sacrifice to have it in MWO. Besides, I know that the BT modders and MW5 modders are gonna have a field day (once the DLC drops that is) when Fire Moth model gets imported into Blender, then to Unity and Unreal Engine 4 respectively.

If the Fire Moth didn't make it in, I would go for the Hellion since it is heavier than the mech, a safer alternative, and a light OmniMech.

#4 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:27 PM

I'm not an expert here, but I don't think you've constructed this poll/suggestion correctly. There's no need to cut the speed in half.

In MWO, MASC never grants 2 x Walking MP. So the Fire Moth going less than 216 km/h is actually the only fair option. Otherwise, every other Mech with MASC is getting screwed.

The Flee has a 170 engine cap and has MASC. That's the lowest it would have to go. The 170 is not half of the Fire Moths' 200 engine.

The Locust has a 190 engine cap but no MASC. So to keep the Fire Moth consistent/legal before MASC, we'd only need 5% negative quirks on its speed.

So instead of scaring everyone by suggesting the Fire Moth would be handicapped by half, point out we only need between 5% and 15% negative speed quirks.

#5 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:37 PM

Or as Odanan points out:

View PostOdanan, on 26 November 2020 - 05:27 AM, said:

PGI just needs to remove MASC from the mech (it could use that extra ton for armour, anyway).

So already we have multiple options that aren't "halve its speed". I'd recommend re-doing the poll.

#6 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:34 PM

View PostDomenoth, on 27 November 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

I'm not an expert here, but I don't think you've constructed this poll/suggestion correctly. There's no need to cut the speed in half.

In MWO, MASC never grants 2 x Walking MP. So the Fire Moth going less than 216 km/h is actually the only fair option. Otherwise, every other Mech with MASC is getting screwed.

The Flee has a 170 engine cap and has MASC. That's the lowest it would have to go. The 170 is not half of the Fire Moths' 200 engine.

The Locust has a 190 engine cap but no MASC. So to keep the Fire Moth consistent/legal before MASC, we'd only need 5% negative quirks on its speed.

So instead of scaring everyone by suggesting the Fire Moth would be handicapped by half, point out we only need between 5% and 15% negative speed quirks.

I see, well thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll rework the poll.

#7 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:09 AM

Do we need another void shielded light mech

#8 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 28 November 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

Do we need another void shielded light mech

Well, there is also the Hellion and Baboon. But, I just want a clan light with masc.

Edited by Will9761, 28 November 2020 - 10:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users