Special Announcement Mw5 Mercs

78 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

Greetings Mercenaries,

As many of you know, the delay in the release of Cyberpunk 2077 until December 10th had us reconsidering our release date for the Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC, as well as the launch of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries on Steam and GoG. Any developer wants their titles to get as much attention as possible, and obviously sharing a release date with Cyberpunk was less than optimal. Day one sales and marketing are so important to a successful product launch, and we believe that rescheduling our release date will allow MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries to have the opportunity and attention it deserves.

While exploring our options, we saw the potential to fulfill a longstanding dream of Piranha Games. To simultaneously ship across multiple platforms, including delivering a modern MechWarrior title to console gamers worldwide. So after much consideration and debate, we have decided that moving the release date of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries DLC Heroes of the Inner Sphere to Spring 2021 is the right choice. This will allow us to fulfill that dream and more. We are excited and proud to announce that now, in addition to playing MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries on PC, it will also be available on the XBox Series X|S and XBox One. This will be the first MechWarrior title on a console since 2004's MechAssault 2, and in our opinion, the first true MechWarrior experience ever on a console.

Along with the XBox release, this delay will allow us some additional opportunities that will benefit the game, as well as the MechWarrior community at large. First and foremost, the combined release on Steam, GoG, EGS, Microsoft Store, and XBox consoles will give us more exposure and a broader reach than we've ever had before. We will capitalize on this increased exposure with our largest marketing initiative to date, bringing as many new eyes to the MechWarrior franchise as possible. This will give us more time to add improvements and quality of life features to the base game, including AI, UI, art, customization, and content. We will continue to tune the single-player campaign and new career modes, making running your Mercenary Unit the most rewarding experience possible.

With the recent acquisition of Piranha Games by EG7, we have even more resources available to support these efforts. We will leverage this new relationship to take our MechWarrior titles to the next level, and increase our growth and presence globally. We understand that this news is not ideal for those that have been waiting to purchase the game on Steam or another platform, or for those that have been ready to dive into Heroes of the Inner Sphere, but we promise that the wait will be worth it.

We are in the process of creating a MechWarrior 5 developer vlog that will dive deeper into the decisions leading to this delay, as well as any other questions you might have about the future of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries. You can look forward to that Dev Vlog being available on Tuesday, December 1st!

And finally, how will this decision affect MechWarrior Online? It won't! There will be no impact on our MechWarrior Online initiatives, and in fact, this will likely benefit MWO in the long run by bringing more eyes to our multiplayer PvP MechWarrior experience. By the release of MW5 in Spring 2021, we should be well on our way towards implementing significant updates to MWO, including exciting improvements to the new player experience, making sure we’re ready for new players.

Thank you,

The MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Team

#2 G2SC

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:12 PM

Lavely

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

While its a bit sad that the DLC is pushed back, I am still waiting for the free mode, I can understand the decision.
I realy hope that the time you get will be well spend.

#4 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

Will the coop be cross platform?

#5 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

With the pandemic in full force you're delaying something that will keep us mechwarriors happy at home? I have many words in response but I'll only use one tame one, LAME

#6 MercTekBenny

• Pip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:28 PM

I think this is a good move on PGI’s part. There is no competing with a Cyberpunk 2077 launch, and tbh those of us that have been waiting for the Steam/GoG release probably won’t have an issue waiting a few more months.

#7 -P U R E-

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 71 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:36 PM

View PostMighty Spike, on 25 November 2020 - 12:32 PM, said:

Simply not true. I have the original still here laying around for the ps1 that also runs on my old ps2 and also played the Mechwarrior game for the snes

Ekhm... S I N C E. That word is a key here.

#8 Kaeseblock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEU / Deutschland

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:49 PM

@PGI: Works for me and sounds like a good decision. Use the time well and make MW5 a success.

Edited by Kaeseblock, 25 November 2020 - 12:51 PM.

#9 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:52 PM

So where have I heard all of this jive before....?

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:59 PM

So when are the vitally needed improvements to MWO coming? The previous line was "we have to get MW5 on Steam first".

Per this announcement that would shift the timeframe many months into the future.

Edited by Spheroid, 25 November 2020 - 01:06 PM.

#11 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:59 PM

Okay...

#12 -P U R E-

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 71 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:01 PM

Simple question: What does it mean for MWO and ''options on table'', ''low hanging fruits'' and other plans related to it? Also postponed?

#13 13Tradesman

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

This is very disappointing news and this may be the first of more delays. I hope you all have a proper explanation on that 'vlog' mentioned. Let's be honest PGI does not have a great track record on delivering on time. period. Just look at at the 'initial' release date of MW5 ~ it was ultimately delayed a full year before release.

Even if Unreal engine does allow for easier "porting" there will still be a lot of work to do to make the game viable for consoles. Optimization for consistent frame rates while maintaining visual quality seems like one such challenge. On PC even playing on high settings requires some decent hardware.

Now the focus will be split between new content for MW5, MW5 porting/optimization to console, and of course last priority MWO changes and fixes...

Words of the day "Prove Me Wrong" and "Chase Two Hares Catch Neither"

#14 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:11 PM

I hate to say it, but this will be remembered as the year PGI promised a lot but did very little.

#15 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

Did they fix the MW5 performance and gameplay? I haven't touched it since the missions were such a chore and needed 10 different mods to play, along with the 30 FPS on year old hardware :|

I'm hoping they fix the performance on AMD hardware if it's going to console, the Nvidia code in MWO really hurt it even on my 1080 ti

Edited by shad0w4life, 25 November 2020 - 01:15 PM.

#16 GaelicWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStuck somewhere between a Fantasy and Reality

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

Color me surprised........Posted Image

#17 SoulRcannon

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

A good decision, interesting. A better MW5 experience, and time for MWO to fix some of those low hanging fruit including the xml edits and any work to improve the new player experience in MWO in time for the new MW5 dlc/xplatform release date.

#18 dr3dnought

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:52 PM

Make a PvP mode for xbox in unreal and port it to PC

#19 whatever it takes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:56 PM

With the recent acquisition of Piranha Games by EG7, we have even more resources available to do absolutely nothing and delay everything the **** out.

#20 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

*Shakes head, and walks away*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users