Steam Keys For Those Who Preorded Mw5 And Hate Epic Platform?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Merv DeGriff

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationIn a 'mech bay awaiting drop.

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

When I made my preorder of Mw5, I missed the opportunity to get a refund when the bait & switch to EPIC occurred. Assuming PGI does get around to it's steam release for one reason or another, will PGI be giving out Steam keys for the ultimate edition to those who preordered it?

For assorted reasons I just don't like EPIC as a platform or business, so I'm still not touching it.

I mean.. they chose to advertise pre-orders for steam in the first place. I'm just looking for a key on the platform I ordered for originally.

Edited by Merv DeGriff, 28 November 2020 - 02:37 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:40 PM

Email support, they can probably check if you've redeemed it on EPS, and will probably try to make it right by you.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:31 AM

View PostMerv DeGriff, on 28 November 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

When I made my preorder of Mw5, I missed the opportunity to get a refund when the bait & switch to EPIC occurred. Assuming PGI does get around to it's steam release for one reason or another, will PGI be giving out Steam keys for the ultimate edition to those who preordered it?

For assorted reasons I just don't like EPIC as a platform or business, so I'm still not touching it.

I mean.. they chose to advertise pre-orders for steam in the first place. I'm just looking for a key on the platform I ordered for originally.

That's a no. I've asked them about it and gave them plenty of time to respond last year, and this was the response I got:
Posted Image

Edited by Horseman, 29 November 2020 - 12:32 AM.

#4 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:35 AM

View PostHorseman, on 29 November 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

That's a no. I've asked them about it and gave them plenty of time to respond last year, and this was the response I got:
Posted Image

What's with the "15 months"?

It sounds like they knew they were going to delay MW5 as far back as august.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:56 AM

That refers to the date the email was written. Stop making up stuff just because you're upset.

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:02 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 30 November 2020 - 01:56 AM, said:

That refers to the date the email was written. Stop making up stuff just because you're upset.

Posted Image

That's why I asked for clarification.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 30 November 2020 - 02:11 AM.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:52 AM

Just to be clear: this comes from an e-mail exchange from last year.
However, I severely doubt that anything has changed since then, especially given that if PGI change their minds about that it would lead to another customer blow-up as last time.

Also, don't forget: The modding tools won't be available on Steam anyway, you need EGS for that.

Edited by Horseman, 30 November 2020 - 10:53 AM.

#8 byebye360

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:49 AM

View PostHorseman, on 30 November 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

Just to be clear: this comes from an e-mail exchange from last year.
However, I severely doubt that anything has changed since then, especially given that if PGI change their minds about that it would lead to another customer blow-up as last time.

Also, don't forget: The modding tools won't be available on Steam anyway, you need EGS for that.

1 unless you make mods you do not need the tools to use mods, unless they are doing something very different from everyone else.

2 honestly their excuse on why they wont put the tools on steam are bull and others that use epics engine do.

#9 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:55 AM

They said they couldn't make a commitment a year ago, but AFTER the Steam release, ask again. You'll get your key.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:18 PM

View Postbyebye360, on 01 December 2020 - 11:49 AM, said:

1 unless you make mods you do not need the tools to use mods, unless they are doing something very different from everyone else.
It is still part of the originally pitched feature set that you are not getting with the Steam version.

2 honestly their excuse on why they wont put the tools on steam are bull and others that use epics engine do.
I expect this has to do with the details of their contract with Epic.

View PostNightbird, on 01 December 2020 - 11:55 AM, said:

They said they couldn't make a commitment a year ago, but AFTER the Steam release, ask again. You'll get your key.
Sure, there's no harm in trying... but chances are their answer won't change. Changing their position now would cause more PR nightmares than it would solve, and piss off players who did refund after their previous response.

#11 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:49 PM

And maybe xbox game pass is an option for u? Mw5 is currently included, and i think there are still plenty of test offers

#12 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:24 AM

View PostHorseman, on 01 December 2020 - 11:18 PM, said:

Sure, there's no harm in trying... but chances are their answer won't change. Changing their position now would cause more PR nightmares than it would solve, and piss off players who did refund after their previous response.

I highly doubt that if you wait 15 months after being told that they can't make any commitments for 15 months you will get the answer, 'wait 15 months and we'll see'

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:24 AM

View PostOmniseed, on 02 December 2020 - 02:24 AM, said:

I highly doubt that if you wait 15 months after being told that they can't make any commitments for 15 months you will get the answer, 'wait 15 months and we'll see'

No, you will get the answer "We are unable to offer this as an option to Community Edition Pre-Order Owners."

Edited by Horseman, 02 December 2020 - 09:25 AM.

#14 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:33 AM

View PostHorseman, on 02 December 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

No, you will get the answer "We are unable to offer this as an option to Community Edition Pre-Order Owners."

How can you say that? Did you get hired by PGI?

Did you know it costs a dev 0 to generate a Steam key for any reason? (There is a limit now, but a few thousand is no problem)

Edited by Nightbird, 02 December 2020 - 09:34 AM.

#15 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:07 AM

View PostNightbird, on 02 December 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

How can you say that?
I'm saying that he's missing the point of their response in that e-mail - which wasn't "wait and see", it was a flat out "we won't do it for anyone, period".

Look at it logically.
From PGI's perspective, they considered supplying the Epic key to adequately fulfill the existing sale contract.
Now that they did, their obligation to you as the customer is over and they have no reason to do anything more.
It's not like a year and a half later you still have an option to refund.

If they go back and change their minds now, they're going to get swamped by complaints and negative PR from customers who refunded because a year ago they told them it's not an option.

Did you get hired by PGI?
No.

Did you know it costs a dev 0 to generate a Steam key for any reason? (There is a limit now, but a few thousand is no problem)
How do you assume that PGI's support agents have that ability? Did you get hired by PGI perhaps? Posted Image Posted Image
Also, it does cost them: it costs them a sale on another platform that's more convenient for you. Posted Image

Edited by Horseman, 03 December 2020 - 05:38 AM.

#16 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:57 AM

View PostHorseman, on 03 December 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

If they go back and change their minds now, they're going to get swamped by complaints and negative PR from customers who refunded because a year ago they told them it's not an option.

Why would anyone complain? People that refunded got to keep their MWO goodies and if you buy the game now you get to save money on the purchase price.

View PostHorseman, on 03 December 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

Also, it does cost them: it costs them a sale on another platform that's more convenient for you. Posted Image

What do you think it costs them to have customers who got bait and switched for an EPS key and refuses to use it?

#17 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:46 AM

View PostNightbird, on 03 December 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

What do you think it costs them to have customers who got bait and switched for an EPS key and refuses to use it?
Nothing. They already got the money from that sale.

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:53 AM

View PostHorseman, on 03 December 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

Nothing. They already got the money from that sale.

PGI has made poor decisions, but luckily they are not that bad. The cost is consumer trust, and though you don't value it most companies do. PGI hasn't figured out how to do the harder stuff, but the easy stuff they do.

#19 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:17 AM

View PostNightbird, on 03 December 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

The cost is consumer trust, and though you don't value it most companies do.

That trust has been burned the moment they made the bait and switch shortly after making assurances to the contrary. They are not losing any more, because it is already gone and they stand to regain none because changing their position would only be seen as another example of PGI's inconsistency and duplicity.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:07 PM

would be cool id pgi issued steam keys to everyone who did not cancel their pre-order.

but im not expecting anything from them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users