81 replies to this topic

#21 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 December 2020 - 06:43 AM, said:

if we move out of the clans era and into say the jihad, maybe we can start getting rid of strict is vs clan gameplay in fp to allow a bit more freedom. let people mix clan and is mechs in their drop decks. build rules would remain in effect as is. though i do believe some of the jihad mechs do employ mixtech, probably in a limited fashion through quirks or special hardpoints, and im ok with that (sources of novelty). but pgi, develop their game, lol.

To be honest, I do not believe that such time jump would have any lasting effect.

First, it would be a time jump in the name only. Russ Bullock (or somebody) said that the maximum would be just one new 'Mech for the MWO.
So anybody expecting PGI's offer of some Celestials 'Mech Pack would be disappointed.

Second, just one new map (maybe) for MWO.
So enjoy the same stale gameplay with running to the same rock as thousand times before.

Third, maybe a few new weapons that can be implemented by editing existing game files (like some new lasers with different duration, damage and colour).

Fourth, it's not like having one or two Clan 'Mech on your IS roster is some great incentive. Everybody knows them and owns them anyway. It's no forbidden fruit.

Do you think that these things would attract a lot of players to the FP? I do not think so.

#22 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:00 AM

I wish I could get a typed up twitch, as I never watch any videos. Easier to comprehend what I read than hear if you will... Any hoot, the man reason I do not play more faction play is lack of time to play. When I have time, I do play faction play, most of the time, I have about 1 to 2 hours tops to play a day, and therefore, play quick play.

ie: 30 minute que times, 30 minute round, and then got to log off... Makes it to were, what is the point!?

#23 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:05 AM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 13 December 2020 - 11:00 AM, said:

ie: 30 minute que times, 30 minute round, and then got to log off... Makes it to were, what is the point!?

yeah its tough getting a drop in fp solo (or even in a small group) when there are a bunch of groups dropping, you always get bypassed

#24 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 13 December 2020 - 02:42 PM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 13 December 2020 - 09:53 AM, said:

I want to play FP, I just dont know how.
Its impossible to play only me? I need to find other players and join a group?

Oh no, don't worry about that. You absolutely can play as solo player - a lot of people do. You are not required to play with a group.

That said, playing with a group is the recommended choice, because there are a lot of advantages. Such as
  • The matchmaker prioritizes the largest groups first. So if you're in a group, you are more likely to get more games in, with less waiting time
  • generally, groups that at least talk to each other and share information (i.e hey - the enemy is over THERE doing THAT) tend to perform better. A lot of groups, though, you don't even have to talk at all, just listen.
  • if you're in a group, you can ask questions and get advice a lot easier
  • if you find a group of people you like to play with, then, well, you get to play with people you like to play with

How do you find a group you want to play with? Well, the best answer is just to start playing. If you play a game with a group of people that seem pretty cool, ask them if you can play a few games with them tonight. Most people will say yes as long as you're not a complete jerk. Then play a few games with them. See if you like these people and if the group offers what you're looking for. If you like them and they like you, they'll probably ask you to join them permanently. If not, find another group of people to play with. Heck, you'll probably find multiple groups you like to play with - you'll play with Team A on Mondays and Wednesdays, and Team B on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

#25 NullaNulla

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 09:36 PM

Yeah good idea, shut down FP you brain dead f@#kwits.

Edited by Nulanula, 15 December 2020 - 11:10 PM.

#26 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:32 AM

Dont they realise, that at least for cw they will achive the opposite result. Cw does not hurt the qp MM. A. some dont play pq at all. B. Most only play cw in the eu and us main time (wait times less than 5 mins). No one (ok a few newbs, that don't understand pgi flawless interface) is sitting in que waiting while he could be helpful in qp mm! Most play a few round of qp until cw is active. Now imagine what happens to this group if pgi gates cw... Rocket science really.

Normally cw starts this way. A group of 5-6 start and some solos jump in the que, because they are sick of rotato or enough to attract enemy's. Red side notices, that there are guys in que and jump in as well. Then more teams recognize, that matches are kicking and the snowball effect is real.

If they rly want to change something, they should limit group size to 4, like in qp and programm a new match maker (money investmemt, so wont happen) and let people opt in for the modes qp and fw in the same mm (that means u can opt out as well, like old mode selection). And even this is a risky move, since u will hurt the group vs group fights.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 14 December 2020 - 12:40 AM.

#27 Bronn of the Blackwater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:04 AM

if they lock Fp will lose a good chunk of good players, and not only this, they will lose a source of potential income. I spent real money having duplicates of some mechs just because i like drop them twice in FP. I have 2 Quickraws IV, 2 blackwidows, 2 grinners, 2 top dogs, 2 viragos, 2 deathwishes... The most part of the assaults in my stable came to play Fp. Because i play Qp solo and it´s silly to bring somethig slower than a Charger or a Gargoyle into a QP.

Even the MC to buy dropdecks came from real money.

I guess that the problem is not FP, the problem is the rewards FP gives. The most part of the newbies are not aware of the free MECHBAYS and gxp they can get easily just switching loyalties, since they removed the penalty...

I will not have a problem if they cut then a little bitm buyt make Fp stational is kill the mode and a lose of very active and emblematic players...

#28 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:08 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 14 December 2020 - 12:32 AM, said:

If they rly want to change something, they should limit group size to 4, like in qp and programm a new match maker (money investmemt, so wont happen) and let people opt in for the modes qp and fw in the same mm (that means u can opt out as well, like old mode selection). And even this is a risky move, since u will hurt the group vs group fights.

Limiting group size to 4 would effectively be the end of units in MWO. If anyone thinks units don't help the game, I'd like a word with you.

#29 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:20 AM

This is deeply concerning. QP is a god-aweful experience right now. While not perfect FP provides the best experience in the game and stopping (or even pausing it) would be the end of MWO for many.

#30 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:58 AM

Why people write about FP when they dont play it.

As mentioned its the most interesting game mode in MWO because its depends most on tactical choices i do. I see the map and THEN i choose my mechs, dropping in a group es even more fun because i know the mechs of my teammates because we discuss it while in lobby.

Yesterday i had so much fun playing conquest in a group with coordinated dropdecks against another group that did the same. I will never have that in QP because its not possible.

Rewards should increase in FP.

For newer players check yondus guide, watch his streams and ask him to invite you.

And like Tirant wrote i put some dollars to double or tripple some heroes.

#31 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:30 PM

I think shutting down FP is a great idea. Now I'll need to pay attention to the useless forums to find out the 1 or 2 times a year that the mode I play is available, plan my life around it to maximize my time and make sure my friends do the same. Sounds so easy and intuitive that it will be a sure fire winner. Like long tom. And putting QP modes in FP. And making factions irrelevant. All the good decisions through the years.

On the plus side, I guess I can play more League. Or cyberpunk. Or whatever else is out there. This makes me want to spend all my monies on MWO!

#32 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:08 PM

Faction play needs to stay at group sizes of 12, and needs to keep the units rolling... Most units, at least large units have enough to fill 12 man group on a regular basis. This is the point of units after all, or at least friends. (Haha, I look at friends list and see none! I clean it out a lot! Quit accepting invites!)

On that later note: PGI needs to come up with a better way to socialize while in game, as is, it sucks.

#33 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:09 PM

Well no matter what happens...I aint leavin....Gabby Johnson, please sum it up for me.....

Edited by Katrina Steiner, 14 December 2020 - 05:09 PM.

#34 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 06:22 PM

View PostCharles Sennet, on 14 December 2020 - 07:08 AM, said:

Limiting group size to 4 would effectively be the end of units in MWO. If anyone thinks units don't help the game, I'd like a word with you.

you could do it in a way that allows groups to sync drop. if the group is a fair group (in that it doesnt stack an amount of skill higher than any possible opposition), then they will be dropped together based on their unit tags. if the mm determines them to be too strong then it will split them up (they might be able to cover more ground and earn more mc for the unit). i think id also add a direct challenge system so 12 mans can fight other 12 mans directly without any pugs getting in the way.

though i suppose pgi is just gonna let it rot like everything else in this game.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 December 2020 - 06:23 PM.

#35 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:48 PM

Limiting group sizes wouldn't do much since you can still pick your own faction. It's not like QP where you can end up on opposite sides.

If you want more even matches just implement the tonnage adjustment idea I shared 3 years ago.

https://mwomercs.com...te-suggestions/

#36 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:09 PM

As a self confessed bad player.. compared to the FP customers i can honestly see the reasons why FP would be poorly received. Quickplay is just shenanigans and fun thrown together for a few minutes win or lose..

Faction Play takes dedication, friends/teams, social aspects, cooperation and a lot of experience in mechs lore and maps.. Also a huge amount of balancing is required. Most online customers either don't have that time or patience these days..

Also as a side note nearly all Faction play i've been in has been quite toxic.. especially to pugs who are dabbling in FP and new to the experience.. Instead of welcoming them most teams blame them for mistakes and their failures when its not always the case.. Which obviously isn't helping FP population states.

Sorry if this all comes off raw to some, not being hateful just being realistic.

From my point of view shutting FP is a bad idea, shuttering Solaris 7 would have been smarter as its a useless mode not very many wanted.

Edited by Samial, 14 December 2020 - 08:26 PM.

#37 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:42 PM

View Postccrider, on 14 December 2020 - 03:30 PM, said:

it will be a sure fire winner. Like long tom. And putting QP modes in FP. And making factions irrelevant. All the good decisions through the years.

Posted Image

#38 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:30 AM

what we really need is a new multiplayer mechwarrior game.

#39 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 02:51 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 December 2020 - 01:30 AM, said:

what we really need is a new multiplayer mechwarrior game.

Russ Bullock announced the PGI's renewal of the MechWarrior licence about one year ago. This licence lasts until 2025 or so.

Edited by martian, 15 December 2020 - 02:51 AM.

#40 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:06 AM

View Postmartian, on 15 December 2020 - 02:51 AM, said:

Russ Bullock announced the PGI's renewal of the MechWarrior licence about one year ago. This licence lasts until 2025 or so.

i said a new mechwarrior game. not whatever russ 'n' company can cobble together in 4 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users