81 replies to this topic

#1 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:51 PM

https://www.twitch.t...680?t=00h56m45s

Except for 1-2 week periods, shutting down Faction Play is a great idea!

#2 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:43 PM

enad need to stop letting russ bullock go anywhere near a mic

#3 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:35 PM

FP players make the most headaches for PGI.No more FP,no more headaches?

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 01:08 AM

if they alternate fp/comp/solaris with each would lasting a month and perhaps each getting an event and end of season prizes. good prizes that make people actually want to play. try to avoid skillwalling them (except in comp) and reduce the grind a lot.

solaris could stand to use a 2v2 matchmaker, possibly add some of the classic/small maps to a 4v4 solaris mode also with an mm. drop to a division per weight class with a 5th anything goes division. unify the solaris caches into a single grind bar.

fp is probibly fine as is but accelerate the grind or do fp supply caches to replace the trees (same prizes from the trees, perhaps rank buffs grind and faction specific prizes based on your current allegiance).

idk what to say about comp. ive never played it and putting pugs into a comp match maker kind of seems wrong, just leave it to the comp players. the standard participation prizes are fine, but perhaps also add a non-participatory event where you can select your favorite comp players or teams and get prizes when they win. im not sure how many observers a match could have, but if you can have a system that people can spectate, chat about the match, make bets, etc, that might be a way to include the rest of the player base.

and while this is all going on do something to improve qp. add a few more game options to the vote screen, or post vote mech selection.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 December 2020 - 01:13 AM.

#5 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:02 AM

LMAO

"We don't know what we're doing . . . "

Got that one right. Force people to play THE least wanted mode (and that's according to PGI themselves) - dump S7; put efforts into making FP & QP work for everyone!

If you want to finally close the game down and probably end up with a lawsuit from your new owners for wrecking their investment.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:38 AM

fp kind of has this problem where its not active for much of the time anyway. if you manage to hit peak time on one of the 3 days that its active, i dont see how that is any different than having full on faction play for a month or whatever. id rather drop on an active fp than a dead queue.

the other side of that problem is all the team players are going to hit up qp when fp is off the table. the salt will flow. unless they do something to solaris to make it more interesting for teams, like 4v4. and comp will definitely occupy some of the team players.

#7 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 11:21 AM

Problem is that the people that play FP hate QP because of the lack of strategic depth. They'd rather wait for FP matches than get QP matches quickly. Closing FP meaning losing most of those players, they won't go to QP, they will simply leave.

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 December 2020 - 11:46 AM

View PostNightbird, on 11 December 2020 - 08:51 PM, said:

https://www.twitch.t...680?t=00h56m45s

Except for 1-2 week periods, shutting down Faction Play is a great idea!

What struck me was that also mentioned special weekly events during this segment, not just long periods of inactivity and revisiting a couple times of year. But it was his air of "I just thought of this but that is what World of Tanks does" when in fact he proposed the exact same thing many years ago as part of the phase 4 rollout. Back then Faction Play was to have special weekend events throughout the year. We got 2 events that entire year. Based on that precedent, my guess is that either they will change nothing and throw out a couple events and then drop all interest in the mode (as before) or go to the it's only active a couple times a year model, since that is in keeping with his proclivity of letting World of Tanks be his guide.

Edited by Bud Crue, 12 December 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#9 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 12 December 2020 - 12:55 PM

The Year Of Faction Play!!!

#10 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 01:16 PM

No faction -> uninstall. That means less players for faction and qp.

Periodically faction won't function. The only good side, is that I will have more time for cyberpunk.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 12 December 2020 - 01:20 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 04:00 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 December 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

Problem is that the people that play FP hate QP because of the lack of strategic depth. They'd rather wait for FP matches than get QP matches quickly. Closing FP meaning losing most of those players, they won't go to QP, they will simply leave.

for the record ive always hated qp for being the beta mode that somehow became the most played mode. its like they are encouraging pgi to sit on their hands by supporting the most skeletal of modes. i always feel a little dirty when i drop there.

#12 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 12 December 2020 - 04:27 PM

it's a bad idea for FP, good for soaris, even if it would be even better if implemented as follows

1) Cut solaris in 1 division with periodical restrictions, example, first week only assaults with only ballistic type weapons allowed, second weak only heavies with only missile type allowed and so on

2) faction play doesn't work because they need to accept that the map design is pure retardation, they need to GET RID OF THE CHOKE POINTS IN SIEGE, just the idea itself of forcing 12 player into a gate to get farmed like crops on the field doesn't work in a group vs group scenario.

also MORE DROPDECKS.

3) accepting the Gulag MWO overhaul proposal would really quadruple the existing pupulation.

Edited by D A T A, 12 December 2020 - 04:40 PM.

#13 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 05:16 PM

View PostD A T A, on 12 December 2020 - 04:27 PM, said:

3) accepting the Gulag MWO overhaul proposal would really quadruple the existing pupulation.

I would love to see a lot of those proposals implemented, but forget 4x, even 2x existing pop is impossible with those proposals... maybe 30-50% peak benefit for a few months.

#14 LhommeX

• Pip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:13 PM

FP players are the most hard core players of this game and probably the players that spends the most time playing it.

Siege mode and to a certain extent skirmish mode are the only modes that makes sense (# fun to play).

Most experienced players will get bored very quickly after turning "left" all the time for more than 30 min.

For these reasons I think MWO will die when FP is no more.

I for sure will look for some another game to play when FP "falls in disgrace"

Edited by LhommeX, 12 December 2020 - 07:02 PM.

#15 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 12 December 2020 - 07:15 PM

Faction is largely unplayable half the day where I am as it is anyway. So yeah, shut the thing down, hammer in that final nail.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 02:59 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 December 2020 - 01:08 AM, said:

if they alternate fp/comp/solaris with each would lasting a month and perhaps each getting an event and end of season prizes. good prizes that make people actually want to play.

Special prizes for taking a part are admission of defeat, actually. It does not matter if they are awarded in some easy event or just as the end of the season reward.

Such prizes mean that your game(mode) sucks so much that nobody would play it otherwise, without special rewards.

See Solaris 7. People play some 20-30 games to get the prize and then they leave.

View PostLordNothing, on 12 December 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

for the record ive always hated qp for being the beta mode that somehow became the most played mode. its like they are encouraging pgi to sit on their hands by supporting the most skeletal of modes. i always feel a little dirty when i drop there.

There is a very simple explanation: Quick Play has always offered much more freedom than Faction Play. More freedom in 'Mech choice, more freedom in maps, more freedom in tactics, faster mission drops.

Obviously, the players like the skeletal QP more than they like the skeletal and sucking FP.

Edited by martian, 13 December 2020 - 03:39 AM.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 06:43 AM

View Postmartian, on 13 December 2020 - 02:59 AM, said:

Special prizes for taking a part are admission of defeat, actually. It does not matter if they are awarded in some easy event or just as the end of the season reward.

Such prizes mean that your game(mode) sucks so much that nobody would play it otherwise, without special rewards.

See Solaris 7. People play some 20-30 games to get the prize and then they leave.

that kind of applies to the whole game doesn't it. i wouldn't play at all if i couldn't farm mc from general events, fp (very slow), solaris startup events (once a season), lootbags (only a few a year). rewards, dare i say bribes, for playing are the only form of progress this game has. players who contribute likely have limits as to how much they spend, im way past mine.

There is a very simple explanation: Quick Play has always offered much more freedom than Faction Play. More freedom in 'Mech choice, more freedom in maps, more freedom in tactics, faster mission drops.

Obviously, the players like the skeletal QP more than they like the skeletal and sucking FP.

yea both are grossly underdeveloped. if we move out of the clans era and into say the jihad, maybe we can start getting rid of strict is vs clan gameplay in fp to allow a bit more freedom. let people mix clan and is mechs in their drop decks. build rules would remain in effect as is. though i do believe some of the jihad mechs do employ mixtech, probably in a limited fashion through quirks or special hardpoints, and im ok with that (sources of novelty). but pgi, develop their game, lol.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 December 2020 - 06:53 AM.

#18 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 06:58 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 December 2020 - 06:43 AM, said:

that kind of applies to the whole game doesn't it. i wouldn't play at all if i couldn't farm mc from general events, fp (very slow), solaris startup events (once a season), lootbags (only a few a year). rewards, dare i say bribes, for playing are the only form of progress this game has.

Once you reach a certain level, even this progress stops. I have all 'Mechs that I want, more C-Bills and MCs than I will ever need.

View PostLordNothing, on 13 December 2020 - 06:43 AM, said:

yea both are grossly underdeveloped.

Minimally Viable Product. This strategy has worked for Russ Bullock for eight years and Russ is okay with it, especially because it is going to be somebody else's problem since March 2021.

#19 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 13 December 2020 - 09:53 AM

I want to play FP, I just dont know how.
Its impossible to play only me? I need to find other players and join a group?

I read some and look some videos. I didnt get much information.

FP should be the core to my mind, because players should eventually take some side, like in all parts before. Freelance - its childhood of warrior.

By the way, many forum guilds look dead for me, so I am not hurrying to join.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 13 December 2020 - 09:59 AM.

#20 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:20 AM

View Postmartian, on 13 December 2020 - 02:59 AM, said:

QP has much less freedom in mech choice, maps and tactics, all it has going for it, is that some people prefer the shorter drops, and.....well want simpler gameplay and don't want to deal with the additional freedom of mechs and tactics (also groups are very scary, but that's a part of qp now too)

generally speaking all fighting in QP is exactly the same tactic in exactly the same spot on the map every drop, that's not true for FP, even with totally tunneled siege maps you generally have 2-3 long attack lanes, and fighting can occur at different parts of those lanes, where's in QP it's always everyone rush to the same map feature and rotate around it

quick play allows for a much smaller diversity of mechs/builds too, you can say you can take anything, but the reality is generally it's best to take medium range, high dps with a 70+kph speed. Can you take other stuff? Sure but it's not different than taking sub optimal stuff in FP

FP allows for a lot more diversity because you know the map/mode and you have the 4 mech drop deck, there are places where you can play 50kph ultra brawly stuff effectively, there are places to play ERLL/ERPPC, there are even places where LRMs are practically meta and just about everything in between

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users