Mwo Tier Spread

8 replies to this topic

#1 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:09 AM

I thought I'd write about how the tier spread appears to be handled in MWO for reference.

First we need to understand the average player population spread across all Tiers. This is roughly a bell curve although moving new players into Tier5 will skew it slightly. What this means is that most players will be at the middle in Tier3. This becomes important when considering the wait times for matches.
Posted Image

Currently (as far as we know) MWO is using a three tier spread for matchmaking. But let's look at all the possible tier spreads for a 5 Tier system.

One tier spread:
In this system only players that are in the same Tier are matched against each other. This would potentially produce the most balanced matches but would also rely in unrealistically high population at all times to be feasible.

Two tier spread:
5-4
4-3
3-2
2-1
This system is more friendly towards lower populations compared to one tier spread and would in practice result in three "buckets" for the matchmaker. That is Tiers 5-4 playing against each other in one bucket. Tier 3 in one bucket. And Tiers 2-1 in the last one. This is because of the bell curve nature of the population. Most players will be in Tier3 and the matchmaker needs all the Tier 4 players to create matches for T5 players and similarly all the Tier 2 players to generate matches for T1 players. This system was tested very briefly and the end result was that wait times for Tier3 remained reasonable but especially Tier1 players found increased wait times. It is difficult to say if the population has spread across the tiers enough to make a two tier spread viable again. Of course if the overall population remains low then that may not make enough of a difference.

Three tier spread (what we presumably have in place):
5-4-3
4-3-2
3-2-1
This system is practical for the low population since the matchmaker has to deal with only two "buckets". Tiers 5-3 and Tiers 3-1. In this system Tier 5 will never see Tier 2 or 1 players.

Four tier spread:
5-4-3-2
4-3-2-1
This is the largest spread one can have without completely eliminating the tiers from the matchmaker. It only ensures that Tier 5 players will never be in the same match with T1 players.

Finally the matchmaker has release valves which will increase the tier spread if enough time passes without finding a match. This means that it may still be possible to see T5 players in T1 matches if the population is low enough.

I hope this helps to clear up some confusion on how the tiers are matched against eachother in-game. Feel free to comment and point out flaws in the analysis hypothesis.

Edited by selfish shellfish, 15 December 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:12 AM

Where is the analysis?

#3 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:17 AM

View PostNightbird, on 15 December 2020 - 08:12 AM, said:

Where is the analysis?

You are right analysis is not the correct term.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:33 AM

It's not a hypothesis either... it is what PGI shared as how the MM takes from tiers to form matches. It starts with 2 tiers then opens up to 3, 4, 5 as time passes to reduce wait time.

#5 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:16 PM

View PostNightbird, on 15 December 2020 - 08:33 AM, said:

It's not a hypothesis either... it is what PGI shared as how the MM takes from tiers to form matches. It starts with 2 tiers then opens up to 3, 4, 5 as time passes to reduce wait time.

Now I feel like I'm in a Fry & Lauries sketch...

#6 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:10 PM

Wish i was still in Tier 5.. It was way more fun back then.. no couch commanders, no toxic whiners..

Edited by Samial, 15 December 2020 - 11:10 PM.

#7 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 12:16 AM

View PostSamial, on 15 December 2020 - 11:10 PM, said:

Wish i was still in Tier 5.. It was way more fun back then.. no couch commanders, no toxic whiners..

You can just turn comms off like most people do and keep doing your own thing regardless of where you are.

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 10:17 AM

View PostSamial, on 15 December 2020 - 11:10 PM, said:

Start a new account... it's what all seal clubbers do.

#9 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 12:04 PM

well something aint right or the devs are just full of bs its either 5 tier or 4 tier not the 3 tier system they are telling us as a tier 2 player ishould not be seeing cadets in either my team orenemy if it ws the 3 tier system but low and behold cadets playing against me let alonethe tier 1 players that ive also seen playing the same matches

View PostNightbird, on 16 December 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

Start a new account... it's what all seal clubbers do.

like the influx of cadets i saw this morning they where not cadets by any standard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users