I still hate the skill tree

#42 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 December 2020 - 04:28 AM

I hate the elephant in the room that has caused thousands of players to leave the game

#43 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:00 AM

What Do You Hate Most About Mwo

Spectating (with headphones) a player who fires 4xAC2's and the following permanent hearing damage. My wet dream is for them to look at the sound playback code and reduce the volume levels for multiple weapons firing at the same time.
https://answers.unit...p-too-loud.html
(wrong game engine but the conveys the general idea)

Or at the very least tune down the ear bleeding sound effects for some of the worst offenders like the AC2.

#44 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:44 AM

Players that are too chicken **** to come out from behind cover to kill something.
Players that are too chicken **** to hit the "w" button.
Players that are afraid to get their paint scratched!
Players that think that just because they are setup to "trade" mean that everyone is setup to trade.
Players that complain about the way you (I) play in mid game. Don't do that, I'll shut down were I stand. Yeah, I *****, under my own breathe, and keep it to myself.

The price of colors and boltons.
Boltons, if they were unlockable and usable like colors of the specific chassis, I might actually buy the damn things.

The lack of new maps.

The lack of new or old mechs.

If i wanted to socialize, I'd jump on facebook, or talk to my wife! (ROFL)

Ok, enough, I shut up now...

#45 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:03 AM

The skill system.

There should be a core pilot skill, weapon system skills, and a small set of skills unique to each Mech for mastery. This would lower the bar for new players, provide casual players with a ton of mechs incentive to play them all, and make more "real world" sense.

The new skill system is what drove me away after pumping over 4k USD into this game.

#46 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:19 AM

I like the new skill system.

It's more than just an experience meter with the Mech class. The same 'Mech can play very differently depending on how you set up your skill tree.

It offers more build diversity and removes the biggest real impediment for new players (the 3 Mech requirement).

Maybe it's possible to envision something cooler, but it's a huge improvement over the prior iteration.

#47 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:43 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 29 December 2020 - 08:19 AM, said:

I like the new skill system.

It's more than just an experience meter with the Mech class. The same 'Mech can play very differently depending on how you set up your skill tree.

It offers more build diversity and removes the biggest real impediment for new players (the 3 Mech requirement).

Maybe it's possible to envision something cooler, but it's a huge improvement over the prior iteration.

Better than bad can still be bad, correct?

In the tabletop mechs builds were differentiated in a much cooler way. Specifically through the scrap mechanic. That along with scarcity made for some very interesting games. Such as going into battle with only one shot for your AC20 and using it mostly for intimidation.

When they decided to make this an arcade shooter by getting rid of the scrap mechanic in beta there were still plenty of options. They could have "real world" mechanics for ideas. For example, different types of ammo and armaments could have the same effect as the skill tree while also doubling as a c-bill sink.

The current skill system defies logic. It says if I spend more time in a Hyundai it will drive it better than a BMW. Sorry, not buying it.

#48 bilagaana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:51 AM

Get the f*ing groups out of f*ing QP.

#49 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:25 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 29 December 2020 - 08:43 AM, said:

Better than bad can still be bad, correct?

In the tabletop mechs builds were differentiated in a much cooler way. Specifically through the scrap mechanic. That along with scarcity made for some very interesting games. Such as going into battle with only one shot for your AC20 and using it mostly for intimidation.

When they decided to make this an arcade shooter by getting rid of the scrap mechanic in beta there were still plenty of options. They could have "real world" mechanics for ideas. For example, different types of ammo and armaments could have the same effect as the skill tree while also doubling as a c-bill sink.

The current skill system defies logic. It says if I spend more time in a Hyundai it will drive it better than a BMW. Sorry, not buying it.

I mean, repair/rearm didn't add scarcity in CB. It was just a loss tax that was decidedly not fun.

Mechwarrior has always been an arcade shooter. It was literally in arcades.

They could rename the skill tree to "Mech customization tree" and record some lines for the nerdy mechanic that tweaks your heat sinks and actuators if it'd make you feel better.

The real pilot skill tree in this game is the mouse and the keyboard. You're the pilot. You get better over time. In theory.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 29 December 2020 - 09:26 AM.

#50 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 299 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:58 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 29 December 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

The real pilot skill tree in this game is the mouse and the keyboard. You're the pilot. You get better over time. In theory.

Is that how this is supposed to work? Frak, all this time I've been doing it wrong . . .

#51 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:02 PM

I'll throw my opinion out there, as I'm someone who just came back to the forums to see if they implemented any of the shakeups that they were talking about.

I honestly hate the basis of MWO. A F2P arena shooter.

Having it F2P makes it so that there's a crazy amount of grind around most things. There is a few essential things that are instead of grind gated, are time gated like mech bays. The whole dynamic behind their monetization and how it effects gameplay and what progression we have I just hate.

I also hate how they made it an arena shooter. Talking with other people that play, some of the most unpopular parts of the game I think are because of this decision. Small maps to make the combat happen sooner reduces the role that scouting has. Not having overly complicated objectives that can't be ignored so that every match devolves into an elimination match. The reason why nascaring works so well is because of these previous two things, and it's simple to pull off. Let's be honest, the nascar is the bog standard death ball with a community agreed upon direction.

It's also why, I believe, lights are the way that they are. They're a utility weight class that has absolutely nothing to be utility about. They can't scout because the maps are too small. There's nothing for them to harass like infantry or vehicles (which is their role in the fluff mostly). Every objective either takes long enough to get and control that a medium or heavy does it better if the teams actually care about objectives (and again, it's perfectly valid to just ignore them and make it a mashup in the center without consequences). The only thing that they can do right now is harass a 'backline' of long range weapons or those who are too slow to keep up with the pack.

If assaults didn't have the restrictions that they have on them lights would be completely useless even without the nascar. The most common things that I've heard is that assaults should be able to shoot their own feet, be able to punt lights, and/or that lights should be able to smear themselves across obstructions if they bump into them. If any one of these things happen, then what little use lights would have is gone.

Sprinkle on top of all of these things band aid fixes that never got actual fixes, and I don't have the ambition to play the game.

#52 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:08 PM

Invisible walls. If they weren't in the game some maps would be 100% more enjoyable. It's really stupid having invisible barriers that make hill peaking on some maps near impossible.

#53 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:12 PM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 30 December 2020 - 02:02 PM, said:

I'll throw my opinion out there, as I'm someone who just came back to the forums to see if they implemented any of the shakeups that they were talking about.

I honestly hate the basis of MWO. A F2P arena shooter.

Having it F2P makes it so that there's a crazy amount of grind around most things. There is a few essential things that are instead of grind gated, are time gated like mech bays. The whole dynamic behind their monetization and how it effects gameplay and what progression we have I just hate.

I also hate how they made it an arena shooter. Talking with other people that play, some of the most unpopular parts of the game I think are because of this decision. Small maps to make the combat happen sooner reduces the role that scouting has. Not having overly complicated objectives that can't be ignored so that every match devolves into an elimination match. The reason why nascaring works so well is because of these previous two things, and it's simple to pull off. Let's be honest, the nascar is the bog standard death ball with a community agreed upon direction.

It's also why, I believe, lights are the way that they are. They're a utility weight class that has absolutely nothing to be utility about. They can't scout because the maps are too small. There's nothing for them to harass like infantry or vehicles (which is their role in the fluff mostly). Every objective either takes long enough to get and control that a medium or heavy does it better if the teams actually care about objectives (and again, it's perfectly valid to just ignore them and make it a mashup in the center without consequences). The only thing that they can do right now is harass a 'backline' of long range weapons or those who are too slow to keep up with the pack.

If assaults didn't have the restrictions that they have on them lights would be completely useless even without the nascar. The most common things that I've heard is that assaults should be able to shoot their own feet, be able to punt lights, and/or that lights should be able to smear themselves across obstructions if they bump into them. If any one of these things happen, then what little use lights would have is gone.

Sprinkle on top of all of these things band aid fixes that never got actual fixes, and I don't have the ambition to play the game.

I haven't played it in years but I recall Faction Play making an attempt to resolve those issues. Maps are bigger, attacks can come from multiple routes (so scouting is actually useful), and respawns exist in some limited form which makes objectives matter more.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 30 December 2020 - 02:13 PM.

#54 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:06 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 30 December 2020 - 02:12 PM, said:

I haven't played it in years but I recall Faction Play making an attempt to resolve those issues. Maps are bigger, attacks can come from multiple routes (so scouting is actually useful), and respawns exist in some limited form which makes objectives matter more.

From my limited experience in that mode, it was an attempt that failed at it. The maps were small enough that just eyeballing a lane of attack was enough for the defenders, so no real need for a scout. The defending space was small enough so that the defenders could adjust to wherever the attack was coming from.
Because of the limited respawns we need to maximize our tonnage and we could just grind out the opponents, making it just a longer elimination match.

It was also supposed to be the 'end game', being played with a group of people with fully kitted out drop decks. Not really aimed at the majority of the playerbase.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users