What Happened To The Fwl?

22 replies to this topic

#1 RobianPirate

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:29 PM

Was doing some research on possible stories set in the Battletech universe and this one baffles me as there's no details on the Sarna.net website explaining this. At least nothing I noticed.

Here's the FWL in 3079, two years before the Blakist Jihad ends.

Posted Image

And here it is two years later when the Jihad official ends.

Posted Image

I know the FWL breaks down into smaller sub-nations but... why and how?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:07 AM

View PostRobianPirate, on 31 December 2020 - 05:29 PM, said:

What Happened To The Fwl?

The Free Worlds League was dissolved by the decision of the Free Worlds League Parliament on 28. I. 3079.

You can read details in Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 23-24.

#3 RobianPirate

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:13 PM

View Postmartian, on 01 January 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

The Free Worlds League was dissolved by the decision of the Free Worlds League Parliament on 28. I. 3079.

You can read details in Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 23-24.

So just like that they decided to end being a united house only for within a century later reform. They are lucky Liao or Steiner didn't jump at the chance to take their territory.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:24 AM

View PostRobianPirate, on 01 January 2021 - 05:13 PM, said:

So just like that they decided to end being a united house only for within a century later reform. ...

It is the result of the CGL's extremely bad writing.

View PostRobianPirate, on 01 January 2021 - 05:13 PM, said:

They are lucky Liao or Steiner didn't jump at the chance to take their territory.

They did.

#5 RobianPirate

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:53 PM

View Postmartian, on 02 January 2021 - 03:24 AM, said:

Honestly I would have thought since the Blakists hit them the hardest of all the Great Houses it would have been another civil war among the inner Marik states. I mean their own house lord was replaced with a double to further the Blakist agenda.

They did.

I just checked and yeah they did though not to the degree I was expecting. At best both sides got a dozen worlds each. I guess Marik's military is that good or the others are just that bad. There was a third faction, I think the Exiled Wolves, who were really eating up their turf. That was what I was thinking in regards to lost territory to the Lyrans and Capellans.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 02:56 AM

View PostRobianPirate, on 02 January 2021 - 07:53 PM, said:

Honestly I would have thought since the Blakists hit them the hardest of all the Great Houses it would have been another civil war among the inner Marik states. I mean their own house lord was replaced with a double to further the Blakist agenda.

Since they were independent states by then, it can not be described as "civil war".

I just checked and yeah they did though not to the degree I was expecting. At best both sides got a dozen worlds each. I guess Marik's military is that good or the others are just that bad. There was a third faction, I think the Exiled Wolves, who were really eating up their turf. That was what I was thinking in regards to lost territory to the Lyrans and Capellans.

For example, the Lyrans started to annex the former FWL's territory right after the end of Jihad, and they continued for the next 50 years.

#7 RobianPirate

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 January 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

Since they were independent states by then, it can not be described as "civil war".

So just a regular war then between former states. I see.

View Postmartian, on 03 January 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

For example, the Lyrans started to annex the former FWL's territory right after the end of Jihad, and they continued for the next 50 years.

Ah. I see. Still the rate of absorption is rather low to what I was expecting is all.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:06 AM

View PostRobianPirate, on 03 January 2021 - 10:48 AM, said:

So just a regular war then between former states. I see.

Yeah. The Lyrans supplied some former FWL states with 'Mechs, just enough to keep those internal conflicts going.

View PostRobianPirate, on 03 January 2021 - 10:48 AM, said:

Ah. I see. Still the rate of absorption is rather low to what I was expecting is all.

The Lyrans annexed what they wanted and they could go away with. You know, it was the Republic "Era of Peace", so the Lyrans had to keep the façade of peacefulness.

But when given the opportunity that came with the Republic collapse, the combined Lyran-Wolf invasion cut deep into the former FWL territory.

#9 Drunken Firebat

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:53 AM

There's a couple things here to remember.

First, the FWL never, ever had the kind of unity that the other Inner Sphere powers had. They were held together with parliamentary tricks and duct tape.

Second, during the Jihad the Word of Blake more or less owned the FWL. Period. Oh, there were some holdouts, but not many. Once the Wobblies started to come apart, it was very akin to how the USSR and its satellite nations fell apart as well.

Third, the reason the FWL didn't get utterly gobbled up in the post-Jihad world was due to (a) the other IS nations being equally pummeled, (B) Devlin Stone's huge push for demilitarization, and his absorption of multiple worlds into the Republic of the Sphere, which (c) was kind of distracting, particularly for the Capellans who developed a major mad-on for Stone and the Republic as a result.

And yeah, when things fired up again as martian notes, Clan Wolf took the opportunity to carve themselves up a tidy little empire.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

That seems like slander against CGL. They have been excellent stewards of the universe. They are worthy of great praise minimizing the sick farce of Jihad and reconning the joke dark age agromech clix garbage so basically it never happened.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 12 January 2021 - 10:38 AM, said:

That seems like slander against CGL.

Simply stating the facts can not be a slander. The collapse of the FWL was written the way that it never made sense from the in-universe view.

They have been excellent stewards of the universe.

Yeah, sure. Have you noticed that the last major storybook (a half of it actually) was published in 2018 - and that we have been waiting for the remaining half ever since?

For how long have we been waiting for the promised ilClan? For about a decade?

They are worthy of great praise minimizing the sick farce of Jihad ...

If with "minimizing" you mean "publishing about eight major storybooks, three technical readouts and more than a half dozen of smaller products" ...

... and reconning the joke dark age agromech clix garbage so basically it never happened.

These things are still canon.

#12 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

Because everyone hates the FWL, purple birds and general FREEDOM.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

View PostNovember11th, on 23 January 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Because everyone hates the FWL, purple birds and general FREEDOM.

It's more like that the FWL has always been mostly ignored by the BattleTech writers.

#14 Drunken Firebat

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:51 AM

View Postmartian, on 24 January 2021 - 10:53 AM, said:

It's more like that the FWL has always been mostly ignored by the BattleTech writers.

They really don't have a strong 'hat' for lack of a better term.

I mean, Federated Suns is space Britain/France with a little America; Draconis Combine is space glorious Nippon; Lyran Commonwealth is space Germany/Italy with lots of money; and Capellan Confederation is space China/Russia.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:21 AM

View PostToastrider, on 25 January 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

I mean, Federated Suns is space Britain/France with a little America; Draconis Combine is space glorious Nippon; Lyran Commonwealth is space Germany/Italy with lots of money; and Capellan Confederation is space China/Russia.

The Free Worlds League is space Austria-Hungary with added piece of India. Posted Image

#16 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

That seems like slander against CGL. They have been excellent stewards of the universe. They are worthy of great praise minimizing the sick farce of Jihad and reconning the joke dark age agromech clix garbage so basically it never happened.

Ok.... From what i've seen they've done nothing at least compared to FASA.. Serious all their books are just rehashed FASA stuff.

View PostToastrider, on 25 January 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

Actually Lyran is also space Aussies...

Edited by Samial, 27 January 2021 - 05:43 PM.

#17 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:28 AM

View PostRobianPirate, on 31 December 2020 - 05:29 PM, said:

Simple.

House Marky Mark and his group The Funky Bunch broke up.

#18 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:04 PM

View PostSamial, on 27 January 2021 - 05:38 PM, said:

Ok.... From what i've seen they've done nothing at least compared to FASA.. Serious all their books are just rehashed FASA stuff.

No surprise here since the company owner Loren Coleman worked for FASA originally.

#19 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:14 PM

Spoiler

Also, AFAIK, FWL returns to existence by Operation HOMECOMING in 3139.

Source:

To Ride the Chimera, pp. 275 - 278

Edited by Ch_R0me, 18 May 2021 - 11:14 PM.

#20 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:54 AM

View PostCh_R0me, on 18 May 2021 - 11:14 PM, said:

Also, AFAIK, FWL returns to existence by Operation HOMECOMING in 3139.

And suffers from all the problems of the old collapsed Free Worlds League ... Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users