Is This Worth It?

28 replies to this topic

#1 JIKOSU

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

I am wondering if anybody has fixed either of the new free mechs and if they are worth it, any help would be great.
-JIKOSU

#2 Absaint

• PipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:25 PM

Heya,

take a look at this video by kanajashi, he explains a good first purchase option and why.

oops, thought you meant buying a new mech, for the fireball and Snowball free mechs they are quite decent!

i have had sucess specially with fireball with 8 medium lasers.

#3 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Someone provide this man with some build codes for the Urban Mech UM-R60L and Phoenix Hawk PXH-1K

#4 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

View PostJIKOSU, on 05 January 2021 - 03:19 PM, said:

I am wondering if anybody has fixed either of the new free mechs and if they are worth it, any help would be great.
-JIKOSU

Nope both are really garbage.. they cost a lot to be made some what effective.

You urbie needs to do at least 97 kph.. add machine guns and a few er mediums or medium pulse. You can go a Rac but its face time is worrisome..

The best Phoenix build i've seen is 6 medium pulse.. seems somewhat effective. But you need a good fast engine for it.. The price of that engine would be better served going to a better mech imo.

Personally a good starting mech would be either a Mad Cat or a Marauder for new Cadets as they are both somewhat tough and play well. If you are short on cash go a medium like an Enforcer, Crab 27b or Shadowhawk for Clan i'd suggest a Nova, Stormcrow or Huntsman, then branch out from there.

Edited by Samial, 05 January 2021 - 04:45 PM.

#5 Alphawolf

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 96 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:21 PM

Urban build if you do not care about your PSR, you are fine with being slow, and are willing to stay with the pack:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...5eb4cef3f62e6df
Yes I have used this build a great many times. You have to watch your positioning, stay with the assaults' . I find this to be a relatively cheap build that will cost you 1.8 million C-bills to implement. You do not have to be fast to be effective.

Urban mech build if you have the C-bills, want the speed, and still want those enhancements for ballistics to be useful:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...0191f2287e85010
I try to only use this on slower targets to make the most of the 1.5 tons of ammo for the RAC2. This will get hot if you fire the ER Medium Lasers to much as you fire the RAC2 so be mind full of your heat gauge. This build will cost you 5 million C-bills.

#6 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:25 PM

Snowball

Fireball

Once modded they are a hoot. Snowball used right and not focused is dangerous, I find Fireball is funny when I wind up tanking more damage than allied Mechs of higher weight than me.

#7 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:33 PM

I am really enjoying the fireball with 6 medium lasers, 2 ER small lasers light engine, double heatsinks, and an AMS (which is probably a bit of a waste - but with it I'm surprised how tanky this little mech is)

#8 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:58 PM

The 1K with 6MPL+2ERSL is almost good enough to be competitive though it has to compete with the Vulcan, Dervish and the PXH-2 for its roles so usually loses out to one of those being taken instead. Also works with 5MPL+3ERSL if 6 feels too much.

#9 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

View PostGARION26, on 06 January 2021 - 02:33 PM, said:

I am really enjoying the fireball with 6 medium lasers, 2 ER small lasers light engine, double heatsinks, and an AMS (which is probably a bit of a waste - but with it I'm surprised how tanky this little mech is)

It has extra structure quirks, for heat resilience. I run your build, but with an XL and targeting comp, which is nice.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:55 PM

keep in mind the phoenix hawk has 8 energy hardpoints, and the urbie is an urbie, so its op.

#11 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:30 AM

I settled on these fits. Urbie is typical med pulse with a couple of mg but I went a dps route on the phx with 3 LL so you don't have to be in brawler range all the time and get reamed since its such a huge target and poorly armored with no jj to boot.

Posted Image

If you have max cool run and all the heat nodes you can swap out a LL and double sink for six er or regular meds for 48 alpha but it's mega hot. I prefer the constant pew pew of the LL every 2.7 seconds since you won't max your heat before you either kill them or have to go back to cover.

Urbie is typical urbie fit. Toss on some energy and projectiles of your choice and you are good to go.

Posted Image

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

I haven't actually played the gift Phoenix Hawk, but from experience with old Phoenix Hawks and extrapolating from playing a 6xERML Wolfhound quite a lot, I expect it'll be a decent skirmisher in Quickplay matches.

Phoenix Hawks have super good hit boxes, really distribute damage well if you twist well. I think I'd put 6x ML/ERML/MPL (up to you which) in the arms, and then 2xERSL in torso for some alpha oomph without triggering ghost heat.

#13 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:07 AM

View PostGARION26, on 06 January 2021 - 02:33 PM, said:

and an AMS (which is probably a bit of a waste - but with it I'm surprised how tanky this little mech is)

Not so waste. AMS takes points of pesky lurmers and gave them to you which in QP sometimes is very handy. Also will reduce damage taken by your team. In a close match, when there is like 2vs2 on the end of the match, when you are heavy damaged and even small laser can kill you, it becomes very important. Even in a light mech, when somebody gonna hit you with ATM, MRM or SRM from close range, you gonna shoot down some missiles and live longer. If you can't or don't wanna AMS, you may go full radar deprivation.

Edited by Bistrorider, 08 January 2021 - 07:08 AM.

#14 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:07 AM

AMS is ok, but that mech is special for having an unusually large number of energy hardpoints. To take full advantage of that, you can't really forgo any weapons or heat sinks to make room for AMS. More damage is better.

From what I hear, missile spam is a major nuisance in tiers 5 and 4 but gets less common in higher tiers as the average player is better at using cover and those weapons become less popular as a result. AMS is still ok even in Tier 1, but the cost of 1,5 tons is really high and a hard compromise to make.

#15 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:07 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 05 January 2021 - 06:25 PM, said:

If you put the JJ in the CT you wont lose it if you get legged. But you already knew this. :)

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:59 PM

ams is great but i think lams needs a heat buff. like cut it back 50-75% but then add ghost heat for > 2 lams.

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:11 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 January 2021 - 03:59 PM, said:

ams is great but i think lams needs a heat buff. like cut it back 50-75% but then add ghost heat for > 2 lams.

Reducing LAMS heat makes it more similar to normal AMS. I'd rather LAMS get some kind of advantage like range or damage to justify the extra heat output so it's a trade-off rather than an upgrade.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:03 PM

View PostFupDup, on 09 January 2021 - 03:11 PM, said:

Reducing LAMS heat makes it more similar to normal AMS. I'd rather LAMS get some kind of advantage like range or damage to justify the extra heat output so it's a trade-off rather than an upgrade.

the heat is the tradeoff for not having to lug around ams ammo. but its too damn high.

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 January 2021 - 04:03 PM, said:

the heat is the tradeoff for not having to lug around ams ammo. but its too damn high.

Making the heat lower reduces the drawback, and if it were to get too low then LAMS could become a direct upgrade rather than an alternative option. In general, larger differences between items make them easier to balance without either one becoming obsolete. Smaller differences make them start to feely samey.

For my idea, giving LAMS better range/DPS/whatever would make it better at protecting you from missiles but your damage output would be decreased because of the heat. A trade of better defense for weaker offense.

#20 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:22 PM

View PostFupDup, on 09 January 2021 - 04:06 PM, said:

Making the heat lower reduces the drawback, and if it were to get too low then LAMS could become a direct upgrade rather than an alternative option. In general, larger differences between items make them easier to balance without either one becoming obsolete. Smaller differences make them start to feely samey.

For my idea, giving LAMS better range/DPS/whatever would make it better at protecting you from missiles but your damage output would be decreased because of the heat. A trade of better defense for weaker offense.

The heat is so absurdly high that even better range, dps, whatever, would not make it worth taking. The numbers are absolutely off the charts. You could halve the heat and it'd still be a dubious choise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users