Timberwolf?

11 replies to this topic

#1 JIKOSU

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 03:36 PM

I bought a timberwolf and gave it some heavy medium lasers, a large pulse laser, and 2 LRM 10's+artemis, was this a good choice? and if you have anything else it should have please tell me!

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:42 PM

Hi Jikosu, welcome to MWO.

The Timberwolf can do a little bit of everything, it's no longer considered top-tier but it is an iconic mech. This website has a lot of information on builds:

https://grimmechs.isengrim.org

There's not a whole lot of information on the Timberwolf but it might help you with other mechs.

Here is another useful site:

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de

If you click on 'Statistics', it will show you a list of popular builds for various mechs, and Timberwolf builds appear from time to time.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 05 January 2021 - 04:46 PM.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:27 PM

Greetings Jikosu,

glad you found your way here from the steam forums. To add to Conky's initial advise, i suggest MechDB as a mechlab tool if you want to theorycraft while you don't have access to the game client. You can even export build codes from there and load them directly in MWO's mechlab.

now to your build, I'd suggest you focus on two weapon groups, ideally syncing their engagementrange and/or their firing patterns. Right now, you have some long range missiles, a mid-to-long range laser and a bunch of shortrange lasers.
Something along these lines, maybe: TBR-PRIME
Now, the iconic missile pods that make the Timberwolf the Timberwolf are one of its biggest downfalls in MWO. They are easily targetable from all angles with no way to shield them. So, if you go with them, you'd better make it count. Two LRM10 launchers are not much to warrant the drawback in geometry they bring. So you might want either bigger launchers, or switch to ATMs, which have a huge damage impact when you are between 245m and 120m to your enemies. This would link um nicely with the optimal range of the heavy mediums. Furthermore, running lock-on missiles, you'll want a (light) active probe and maybe even a TAG, to cut through ECM shielded targets.
Without knowing which variant exactly you have, I'd suggest something like this as a low-cost investment: TBR-PRIME

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:05 AM

You can use up to two ER Large/Heavy Large/Large Pulse lasers without getting a heat penalty and up to 6 ER Medium/Medium **** Lasers or 4 Heavy Medium Lasers.

Normally people will specialize their mech to focus on one task/ideal range/weapon system for ease of use. For example, I bought some ST omnipods for my Timberwolf and put 2x LRM20 and 2xLRM15 on it with TAG and 2-3 medium lasers. You can also make a Timeberwolf with 2 large lasers and 6 ER Medium lasers and a ton of heat sinks.

Now consider the situation if you do a mixed loadout like what you made. When you fight with LRMs, there are mechs that will fire 60-90 missiles while yours fires 20 and when you fight with lasers there are mechs that will fire for 60-70 laser damage with more heatsinks at longer ranges (because they'll use ER) while yours fires for 50 at the shorter range of heavy medium lasers.

People already linked Grimmechs, so take a look at those and consider what kind of mechs people are taking so that you can build yours to properly compete with theirs. Posted Image

#5 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:39 AM

I recommend the loadout that mounts 2ERLL and 6ERML on the Timber Wolf. It gives a hefty pinpoint alpha strike that you just need to be able to aim at a specific component you want to target. Timber Wolf has such an oversized engine and little free pod space, that I consider the ER Larges a better option than Large Pulses on it, so you can have as many heat sinks as possible.

The equivalent Ebon Jaguar and Hellbringer carry Large Pulses or Heavy Larges instead.

#6 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:39 AM

If you just want to mess around in an iconic mech, do whatever brings a smile to your face.

But in terms of combat effectiveness, missile builds in the TBR doesn't work well in MWO. Espcially in higher Tiers. Veteran players just treat the missile pods as giant target boards to shoot.

this is what I run nowadays
https://mech.nav-alp...996a4_TBR-PRIME

it takes advantage of the Set of 8 bonus for bonus mobility and has decent heat management and pinpoint damage. You get 4 Alphas before needing to rest and cool down.

#7 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:31 AM

As a new player, you might want to familiarize yourself with the charging mechanic of the gauss rifle, if you decide to take up ImperialKnights suggestion above. Head to the training ground to do so.

#8 JIKOSU

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

what are ATM's?

and would a regular probe help, or would it have to be light?

Edited by JIKOSU, 06 January 2021 - 10:57 AM.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:09 PM

ATMs are Advanced Tactical Missiles. The come in launchers of 3/6/9/12 tubes and are lock-on missiles similar to cLRMs. The difference is that ATMs always have a rather flat arc and deal damage in brackets. From max range to 550m, they deal 1.2 dmg/missle, from 550m to 295m, they deal 2 dmg/missile, from 245m to 120m, they deal 3 dmg/missile. Damage degrades linearly between the brackets and below 120m, they don't do any damage at all.

As for the probes, a regular probe has a bigger range for its ECM counter effect, but a light probe is usually sufficient. Depends on the weight at your disposal and you don't want to waste any tonnage on a Timberwolf.

#10 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 02:01 AM

First of all i would ditch the LERMs, they add major hitbox issues. If you must, go with lerms do 1 LRM5 and a 15 in that order in a single torso so the 15 takes the lower slot and doesnt cause the massive ears.

Second, i strongly encourage you to try 2LPL+5-6ERML, hits very hard, cool running, high DPS once heatcapped if you stick to just the LPLs which are more efficient and longer range, and no hard to deal with things like ghost heat. The S is best for this as it has enuff DHS to sustain a fight, and has just enuf hardpoints to bring these builds on a single JJ which is extremely useful for mobility's sake (and imo is the only selling point the laser timy has over mechs like the HBR.

Another build ive personally started using alot of 3LPL+3ERML, decent punch, left sided with less wide arm issues, and even the lpls alone are enuff when poking hills. Its just as cool running if you stagger and has as much alpha as 2LPL+5ERML, but the benefit of not having to use both the arms more then makes up for the weaknesses of ghost heat staggering, and its actually more lethal at 800-900m where the ERMLs are useless anyway.

Finally, if you want to go with range you can run 6ERML+2ERLL/3ERLL, the latter is ghost heat limited (and can only be done with a energy CT hardpoint variant) but gives you essentially 3/4 of a ERLL HBR on a mech with over 70 damage per exposure at 500m or so. Its also just cool enuff to alpha from 0 heat once without damage, but split the groups for better effect. Both of these builds arent dedicated ERLL snipers, but you should try and engage early on using the ERLLs as you might as well contribute early given that ERLLs have lowish DPS and tend to spread dmg around.

Those are more or less the "meta" TBR builds, ofc you an run other things like dakka (2UAC10+some backup ERSLs isnt bad), brawl (4SRM-6A+lasers), and even go full LERM (not that id reccomend it but the mech can bring 4 LERM-15 and still have a few ERSLs for point defense/cleanup). GIve whatever you want a try and dont be afraid to experiment with it.

#11 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:53 AM

trouble with the Timby my friend is that those missile racks make huge targets. now if you still want to stick with an LRM build for it i suggest upping the rack size and filling out your energy hardpionts with ER ML or maybe MPLs. though you could go with some combo of ER MLs and LPLs since their ranges are a little closer. don't forget plenty of ammo for those missiles and watch for enemy AMS as a single Corsair-7A can ruin any LRM boats day.

(keep in mind as an IS Loyalist i don't play Clanner trash (jk honestly) but certain things are universal and i do have i think 2 Timbys from free give-a-way events.)

as i always say **** meta and play what you have fun with. tweek it so it works as well as possible for what you want to do.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 21 March 2022 - 10:56 AM.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:08 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 21 March 2022 - 10:53 AM, said:

keep in mind as an IS Loyalist i don't play Clanner trash (jk honestly)

LOL. same. I only have enough clan mechs to justify having captured some before Tukayyid. Posted Image

Otherwise, yes, this is a truism. Some mechs geometry adds shootable "bunny ears" if you add weapon systems. Timberwolf, Ebon Jag, Blood Asp, Mauler, Battlemaster... Use them wisely, because the pods on top of the shoulder means that side torso can be shot from almost any angle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users