Commando 3A Help

4 replies to this topic

#1 AkArcAngel

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:57 PM

Seeing as all the build advice threads for the commandos are very old, I'm starting a new one.

I'm currently running this. And I was thinking, would MRM 10's be functional for a long range poke?
(BAP is there just for spotting C-bills)

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:14 PM

You can just as well swap the MLs for ERMLs if you want a longer range poke. MRMs reach 550m max while ERMLs can tap someone up to 720 if you just want to harass and get their attention. Regardless of which you pick, your close-range ability will suffer slightly as the longer-range weapons have higher CD/duration and higher heat. MRMs also stream out. Might want to just try in Training Grounds to see if your brawling/drive-by is affected by swapping to MRMs.

#3 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:43 PM

I personally wouldn't sacrifice armor like that on a commando. I'd go SRM4s they are more accurate and get my armor up.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:58 PM

Jesus Christ, there's so much wrong with this build. I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, but you bought an ineffective yet expensive engine, but didn't change to double heatsinks? Your design is just a deathtrap. It's slow, so you will get hit more often. And because you dropped a significant amount of armour, it can't withstand those hits very well. Medium lasers and SRMs are hot, but your mech can't dissipate heat quickliy enough to make a significant impact in a fight. Also 2 tons of ammo are not enough.

If I was you, I'd go for something like that COM-3A

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 07 January 2021 - 10:59 PM.

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 07 January 2021 - 10:58 PM, said:

Jesus Christ, there's so much wrong with this build. I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, but you bought an ineffective yet expensive engine, but didn't change to double heatsinks? Your design is just a deathtrap. It's slow, so you will get hit more often. And because you dropped a significant amount of armour, it can't withstand those hits very well. Medium lasers and SRMs are hot, but your mech can't dissipate heat quickliy enough to make a significant impact in a fight. Also 2 tons of ammo are not enough.

If I was you, I'd go for something like that COM-3A

I was looking at this last night, but couldn't get it to save. This is the right answer. You can even go to the XL225 and drop one of the external DHS (since you pick it up in the engine) and half a ton of SRM AMMO. Speed is really important and the XL210 isn't a great engine (it's not bad, but it's not a gotta-have for a new player, the XL225 is widely useful) now that it's not the COM cap.

Edited by TercieI, 09 January 2021 - 08:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users