I Was Wondering Why Mrm40 + 6 Erml Battlemaster Wasn't A Thing...

24 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 January 2021 - 02:18 AM

Posted Image

Dat geometry. :/

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 January 2021 - 02:57 AM

Murms shoot out in a stream anyways so it's probably not that big of a deal.

#3 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:49 AM

More like - "Let me announce my position from behind this hill!"

#4 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:10 AM

That's the exact build I'm using this very minute, for my "Bundle" BattleMaster BLR-1G(S).

Both the Lasers and especially the MRM40 can help you peek up through hills and shoot, exposing less of your mech.
Or, it lets you shoot down on enemies behind ledges below you much easier.

By the way, the "arms" on the BattleMaster is quite low slung.
Tried putting PPC or ballastic on my arm, and was surprised that my arm weapon hit the crest of the hill,
especially when my Lasers & MRM can hit the same enemy (alpha strike).

Anyways, BattleMaster is a FUN mech to play!!

#5 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:19 AM

View Postw0qj, on 08 January 2021 - 05:10 AM, said:

That's the exact build I'm using this very minute, for my "Bundle" BattleMaster BLR-1G(S).

Both the Lasers and especially the MRM40 can help you peek up through hills and shoot, exposing less of your mech.
Or, it lets you shoot down on enemies behind ledges below you much easier.

By the way, the "arms" on the BattleMaster is quite low slung.
Tried putting PPC or ballastic on my arm, and was surprised that my arm weapon hit the crest of the hill,
especially when my Lasers & MRM can hit the same enemy (alpha strike).

Anyways, BattleMaster is a FUN mech to play!!

Yeah, the high mounts are really great, but PGI could just tone down that 20 slot ugly box to a 10 slot box and still have it fire 40. Not only is it aesthetically horrible, but it sticks out so bad. :/

#6 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:51 AM

View PostFupDup, on 08 January 2021 - 02:57 AM, said:

Murms shoot out in a stream anyways so it's probably not that big of a deal.

MRM are under rated weapons on the right builds there super great. The problem with them in there tonnage is high and it take a little more work in the lab to make a solid build.

#7 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

Same idea as this https://mech.nav-alp...3d604eb_TDR-5SP this mech as super good quick's

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 08 January 2021 - 08:51 AM, said:

MRM are under rated weapons on the right builds there super great. The problem with them in there tonnage is high and it take a little more work in the lab to make a solid build.

Murms give the most damage per ton out of any IS missile system other than SRMs, but those only go up to 12.9 damage for 1 hardpoint. Murms also got the highest damage per 1 ton of ammo out of any weapon in the game by a huge margin (only the RAC/2 comes anywhere close).

You don't really need the "right" build for Murms, they work on basically anything with at least one missile hardpoint and at least 30 tons of mass.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

my black widow has a 30-rack and it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

View PostSirSmokes, on 08 January 2021 - 08:51 AM, said:

yea. especially in fp on the attack side of siege as they could decimate objectives in short order. thats why my black widow had a 30-rack. was so good i traded one of my lb2s for it.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 January 2021 - 04:13 PM.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

Even better, when you fire all that, the warm blue pillar of light emitted by your melted, open core will announce your location to every red on the other team.

#11 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:22 AM

View PostFupDup, on 08 January 2021 - 01:21 PM, said:

Murms give the most damage per ton out of any IS missile system other than SRMs, but those only go up to 12.9 damage for 1 hardpoint. Murms also got the highest damage per 1 ton of ammo out of any weapon in the game by a huge margin (only the RAC/2 comes anywhere close).

You don't really need the "right" build for Murms, they work on basically anything with at least one missile hardpoint and at least 30 tons of mass.

That huge box on the battlemaster is ST hitbox. Removing its ST from any angle has never been easier. Somewhat like the bunny ears of the timberwolf.

MRM produce a lot of needles damage, so while it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside that your match score is high - you didn’t actually contributed that much. Removing armor from random enemy components is better than no damage, but when a silly Battlemaster appears with a refrigerator installed on its shoulder, you better do half as much damage, but be able to focus it on that silly ST.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 10 January 2021 - 10:22 AM, said:

That huge box on the battlemaster is ST hitbox. Removing its ST from any angle has never been easier. Somewhat like the bunny ears of the timberwolf.

That is a Battlemaster problem, not an MRM problem.

MRM produce a lot of needles damage, so while it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside that your match score is high - you didn’t actually contributed that much. Removing armor from random enemy components is better than no damage, but when a silly Battlemaster appears with a refrigerator installed on its shoulder, you better do half as much damage, but be able to focus it on that silly ST.

Getting closer helps deal with the spread, but then again all missiles have spread anyways.

Also I personally like to mix my Murms with some ERMLs when possible so I can have both focused damage and sandblaster damage.

#13 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

MRMs can still net you plenty of useful damage through sheer volume of fire. components can also be focused to varying degrees of effectiveness depending on factors such as distance and hitboxes.

#14 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:07 AM

View Postcougurt, on 10 January 2021 - 07:36 PM, said:

MRMs can still net you plenty of useful damage through sheer volume of fire. components can also be focused to varying degrees of effectiveness depending on factors such as distance and hitboxes.

I didn’t say MRMs are not useful. It’s just that you look at the and go WOW 40 damage for 12 tons! Then you use them and go “meh, I’d much rather have an AC10 for those 12 tons”. Out of the 40, in the common case, 10 will miss completely, and the 30 will hit 5 different components, so that is typically 6 damage per component. Just give me a medium laser.

I feel MRMs are effective only if you can bring 60+ of them on a slow mech, or less in a fast mech where you can close the distance well into SRM ranges. I’d rather have the SRMs then, if only IS mech designers were not so cheap on missile hard points.

#15 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:25 AM

View PostFupDup, on 08 January 2021 - 01:21 PM, said:

Not really IS mechs quick build will always>other nonquirked builds

#16 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:49 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 12 January 2021 - 01:25 AM, said:

Not really IS mechs quick build will always>other nonquirked builds

Some mechs are much more suited to Murms than others, yeah, but even ones with little in the way of quirks can often make Murms work at least halfway decently. That was my point.

#17 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:16 AM

Some times that MRM 40 face time really doesn't help though.. Its like super slow and gets you killed.

And that heat.. Toasty.

Edited by Samial, 12 January 2021 - 03:17 AM.

#18 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:34 AM

I'm picking up the (bad) habit:

MRM on all Heavy/Medium IS mechs to level them up in Skills :)

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:46 AM

View Postw0qj, on 12 January 2021 - 07:34 AM, said:

I'm picking up the (bad) habit:

MRM on all Heavy/Medium IS mechs to level them up in Skills Posted Image

I put an MRM40 on my raven. Posted Image

#20 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:52 PM

View PostSamial, on 12 January 2021 - 03:16 AM, said:

Some times that MRM 40 face time really doesn't help though.. Its like super slow and gets you killed.

And that heat.. Toasty.

In terms of efficiency/ratios, the MRM40 has a slightly better damage-per-heat ratio than the SRM6 (3.478 vs. 3.44).

The facetime of the launcher isn't anything worse than the ERML's on the OP's Battlemaster.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users