Absolutly Rediculous Tier Demotions

85 replies to this topic

#1 MrFatBard

• PipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:05 PM

so i try to do a good job but the game thinks i have to have my pilot rating lowered for whatever reason i am actually being demoted and its insane, i get 3 kills and a solo kill deal 467 damage and just because we lost the match and i suicided to get the kills my pilot rating is going down

could you guys please make it not rediculous to get promoted that would be great

also while im here uploading images to this forum would make explaining this easier as well

still loving this game Posted Image

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:30 PM

The issue is that your performance is relative to the performance of the other players within each match.

If, for example as a Tier 3, you are placed in a match that is mostly Tier 1 and Tier 2 (better PCs, internet, skills, experience, etc) then statistically, all those other players will perform better than you and even if it might look like you did well, you can still get demoted because in that match, your performance was still worse than the majority of other players.

You can check your match score at the end of the game and compare it to the scores of the others, including the enemy team. You generally want to be within the top 12 players or so in terms of match score. Note that match score includes everything from shooting down missiles with AMS, lance in formation, protection proximity bonuses, spotting, assists, flanking, components destroyed and so on. Your damage and kills can be outdone by coordinated players who stack up lance in formation, protection proximity and assist bonuses by fighting together. As an example, in a long game, players can get upwards of 15-20 points of formation and proximity bonuses on top of the damage, kills and assists.

As long as you are not thrown into a T1/T2 game as one of the few T3s then it should be fine, it's hard to say how the matchmaker works and is dependent on player population.

TL;DR

Check your match score at the end and compare it to the match score of other players. The damage/kills/assists don't matter if the match score is low.

#3 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:26 AM

Your history of wins and losses is the most accurate and most reliable way to predict your skill, future success and contribution to q team.

Making the system weigh wins and losses even more than it does now would likely make it better.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:32 AM

View PostMrFatBard, on 09 January 2021 - 10:05 PM, said:

so i try to do a good job but the game thinks i have to have my pilot rating lowered for whatever reason i am actually being demoted and its insane, i get 3 kills and a solo kill deal 467 damage and just because we lost the match and i suicided to get the kills my pilot rating is going down

1. Suicide, team kills and team damage hurt your Match Score and thus your PSR.

2. The losing team has the negative PSR modifier added.

could you guys please make it not rediculous to get promoted that would be great

PGI ignores this forum.

If you want to inform Russ Bullock, use Twitter to tell him your opinion.

also while im here uploading images to this forum would make explaining this easier as well

You must use some image hosting and just post links here:

Posted Image

Edited by martian, 10 January 2021 - 04:37 AM.

#5 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:04 AM

This thread was moved to General Discussion

#6 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:33 AM

https://leaderboard....rch?u=MrFatBard

You being in T3 is perfectly explainable.

#7 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

View PostGagis, on 10 January 2021 - 02:26 AM, said:

Your history of wins and losses is the most accurate and most reliable way to predict your skill, future success and contribution to q team.

Making the system weigh wins and losses even more than it does now would likely make it better.

lol wut.....

W/L ratio is the worst one to use.

#8 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:27 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 11 January 2021 - 04:57 AM, said:

lol wut.....

MWO is a team games, W/L is the best way to measure your contribution to the team effort.

Stats like K/D, dmg and ms can be cheesed by using your team-mates as proverbial meatshields in order to pad your own stats.

#9 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:49 AM

Sounds similar to a match I had similar number of kills and damage, I even suicided when I wandered into an enemy assault lance but my arty strike also took out 1 of them 😀 the fact that my psr went down just means 1 less match I have to tank to stay away from the tier 1-3 bracket

Sounds similar to a match I had similar number of kills and damage, I even suicided when I wandered into an enemy assault lance but my arty strike also took out 1 of them 😀 the fact that my psr went down just means 1 less match I have to tank to stay away from the tier 1-3 bracket

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:00 AM

You have to do exceptionally well inspite of your team to increase PSR on a loss, OP. With 3 kills and nearly 500 damage you probably weren't far off actually, that's a decent effort especially on a loss. Don't beat yourself up on seeing the red arrow - going up to rank 2 isn't going to magically make the game better. In fact, as your rank increases, so the number of viable 'Mech builds decreases and by the time you end up in rank 1, you need to be fairly focussed on the game to win. For example, you will be looking at using consumables during each match, which cost c-bills and will obviously eat into your post match profit.

#11 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

I agree. As you go up in tier the matches become harder (makes sense, you're playing with & against more skilled players). The unfortunate side effect of this is there is less and less room to goof around with sub-optimal builds. In T2 I don't have to run straight meta builds but I can't really afford to run a troll build, stock build, or something just for fun without negatively impacting my team.

I've been doing the Urbanmech private matches that V1ctor has been setting up now which is MWO for pure fun. No rewards, but I have a blast and the coms chatter cracks me up!

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:26 PM

Your PSR change depends on how your match score compared to your team and how it compared to all players in the match.
How often are you playing a lone wolf and outright ignoring your lance and team mates? Doing that makes you miss out on the formation/proximity bonuses (which add up).

View PostBigbacon, on 11 January 2021 - 04:57 AM, said:

lol wut.....
Over a sufficiently large sample, all extenal influences will average out to little more than background noise. What is left is your personal impact on the matches and this includes otherwise unquantifiable contribution through teamwork, use of comms and providing intel.

Edited by Horseman, 11 January 2021 - 03:27 PM.

#13 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

Nah. The W/L outcome of a 12v12 no respawn game has more to do with the particular combination of players on each team than any individual player.

Tying individual rating to individual performance was definitely the right way to go.

#14 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:08 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 11 January 2021 - 03:30 PM, said:

Nah. The W/L outcome of a 12v12 no respawn game has more to do with the particular combination of players on each team than any individual player.
Of one game. That won't be the case given aggregate stats from a much larger sample, say around 1000 matches.

Edited by Horseman, 11 January 2021 - 04:09 PM.

#15 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:13 PM

View PostHorseman, on 11 January 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

Of one game. That won't be the case given aggregate stats from a much larger sample, say around 1000 matches.

That's a lot of matches. You're going to need really high n to turn 23 other players into background noise.

#16 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:19 PM

Its equally random for every player, so it evens out rather fast. Win Loss Record is the best statistic for keeping track of your own performance.

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:53 PM

Shesh People dont get it
Being in a group has more influence on your win rate
Compared to if you only solo

#18 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:58 PM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 11 January 2021 - 04:53 PM, said:

Shesh People dont get it
Being in a group has more influence on your win rate
Compared to if you only solo

but it makes sense no? if you drop a lot in a group that is how you perform ingame, you should be matched against equally successful players, whether they are successful due to a very high skill level or because they play in strong groups, or a combination of both doesn't really matter

#19 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

View PostBasmati Rice, on 11 January 2021 - 04:33 AM, said:

https://leaderboard....rch?u=MrFatBard

You being in T3 is perfectly explainable.

This. And I'm not trying to be rude, but it looks like, even if there are issues with an individual match, you've ended up in about the right tier anyhow.

Achieve a 1:1 KD ratio across many games and you will find yourself solidly in t1 regardless of win/loss. Don't sweat the details of individual matches. I ranked up into t1 based on lots of dmg and kills despite the same Win:Loss ratio as you.

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:56 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 11 January 2021 - 04:58 PM, said:

but it makes sense no? if you drop a lot in a group that is how you perform ingame, you should be matched against equally successful players, whether they are successful due to a very high skill level or because they play in strong groups, or a combination of both doesn't really matter

I used to share many solo queue games with Browser and never complained, used to look forward to it.

But this group thing is a bit too much

And your answer makes sense if your on the seal clubbing end of the spectrum, dismissive of the issue

Edited by General Solo, 11 January 2021 - 09:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users