Today's Rant "uav's Why Not?"

33 replies to this topic

#1 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 12:41 AM

Why don't people take these?
You are given a slot for them, they cost a minor amount and they help out everyone on the team.

Someone even said "It cuts down on my sweet sweet DPS." ummm how?

Just came out of a 3 games in a row, no one using UAV's, all horrible losses with people walking blindly into firing lines.

What don't you understand?

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:04 AM

People saving up for other things. -40k c-bills per match for a bad player who gets like 60-80k per loss with no premium means it'll take forever for them to get what they want.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:08 AM

Hey guys... There's no question that they're being selfish/greedy unto the point of everyone's demise, which is really sad. I've seen the same problem with people not bringing Cool Shot on a hot configuration. I don't think they understand how much worse it is to use the override then overheat to death, as well as how they're making themself unable to get off that one extra critical shot while avoiding a shutdown. I'm starting to wonder if people need an access improvement in general for putting Consumables on a Mech which they own, and a tutorial to go with it. :(

~D. V. "I think we all agree that people should be more willing to equip & use consumables." Devnull

#4 Moochachoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:21 AM

It costs cash and I’ll give it maybe 10 seconds before it gets shot down.

quick play is generally an uncoordinated mess, so even with a UAV, people will still rotate regardless of the enemy position.

#5 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:39 AM

Ignoring the issue of CBills.

Personal performance. Coolshots and strikes pad your personal stats, uavs contribute to the teams performance.

#6 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:47 AM

I don’t know what are you talking about. I see many UAVs in every match.

#7 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:29 AM

I've shot down lots of UAV's over the weekend. Sometimes, people use them, many times, people do not... It's one of those hit or miss deals...

I know, I carry them, on almost all loadouts, UAV's and Arty's that is. Cool shots, not so much! Some have 2 of each, with soo many losses regardless of what I do, or don't do, I quit caring, so I either don't equip them, or, just don't use them...

The other thing about a UAV, is if it's not skilled, it's almost useless... The range is pathetic at best. Max out the UAV skills, and lowe and behold, you see a lot with it... Oh, then it gets shot down... So yeah... Most of the time, you will get a mere glimpse of what is going on, other times, it's in the air it's entire duration.

#8 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:48 AM

Yeah they cost 40K but PGI is also quite generous with giving them out. I got 82 of them during the December events alone.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 11 January 2021 - 08:51 AM.

#9 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:02 AM

Every build I run has a UAV as the first slot. Then I'll either equip a second as I skill the mech or use cool shots or Arty depending on the build.

I don't use my UAV every match, but I'd say at least 50% of the matches I'll send one up. They make a big difference! But I don't want to waste one on a game that is already heading to a loss.

#10 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

coolshots and strikes directly contribute to killing the enemy team, uavs contribute indirectly, so they're not as good

don't get me wrong, they're nice but generally speaking it's not that difficult to figure out the location of the enemy team and their actions, so really if I can accomplish that task without using up a consumable slot, and have an airstrike in there instead that will cut up 2 mechs hiding behind a building, it makes more sense to take the strike

I don't care about helping lockon masters get locks

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:19 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 11 January 2021 - 08:48 AM, said:

Yeah they cost 40K but PGI is also quite generous with giving them out. I got 82 of them during the December events alone.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Generous is a word... I ended up equipping 60 and managed to score 384 for the price of 1 due to a bug... sorry... feature.

#12 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:50 AM

Strikes are more useful. Putting UAVs above your own team doesn't help much. Putting UAVs above the enemy team requires getting way too close to the enemy team.

#13 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:51 AM

i don't use them because more often than not, its shot down almost instantly.

#14 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

They need a buff to health - too easy to shoot down. If PGI actually did mods, they could add additional classes of UAVs. Long duration, ECM cloaked UAVs, radar jamming UAVs, air strike jammers, etc. I'd pay extra for some of those.

#15 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

an UAV is good.

a cool shot or a strike is amazing. can't carry an UAV unless you mech runs so cool it simply cannot take a cool shot.

Edited by Gagis, 11 January 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#16 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

Most teams in QP are unable to make use of the intel, so I revert to things that directly improve my ability to remove enemy assets from the field.

#17 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

I carry UAV's in all my mechs regardless of my build on the basis that I can't shoot or drop artillery effectively on what I can't see and I certainly can't plan ahead or prepare for my enemies if I don't know where they are or where they are moving to.

There have been a number of games where people have rushed back and forth between the expected approach lanes waiting for the fight and 1 UAV would have shown them which side to drop the strikes on instead of the 50% wastage.
It also tells you when the other team has finished poking around the edges of several maps centeral terrain features and is getting ready to bowl through the middle before it happens.

Shooting down a UAV requires them to be able to get a line of sight, in their weapon arc and accurate enough to either hit it on the move or be stationary long enough to draw a bead on it. Not many in solo queue can do the scoot and shoot part I'm guessing.

#18 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:34 AM

People go to middle of map and run in a circle. UAVs don't really let you know where the enemy are, because they're always in the same spot. Their main roles in order of importance are 1) complete event conditions, 2) allow the enemy to complete event conditions and 3) let your LRM boats stop asking for locks to be held.

Generally speaking, I feel 2 arty + 2 coolshots let's me influence the outcome more than UAVs.

#19 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:22 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 12 January 2021 - 12:34 AM, said:

People go to middle of map and run in a circle. UAVs don't really let you know where the enemy are, because they're always in the same spot. Their main roles in order of importance are 1) complete event conditions, 2) allow the enemy to complete event conditions and 3) let your LRM boats stop asking for locks to be held.

Generally speaking, I feel 2 arty + 2 coolshots let's me influence the outcome more than UAVs.

The only time UAVs help me directly is when I have an enemy around the corner and I don't have seismic which lets me see when he's intending to pop out at me and I get him first.

It helps a lot when I have a 3x RAC2 mech since when they move forward I charge the RACs and by the time they are visible the guns are already shooting.

#20 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:40 AM

Mostly because the consumables tab is kinda hidden away and i always forget to put them in.. On a side note having consumables slots in skills seriously limits how many i use because i'm not wasting my cbills on skills if i can get away with it... Seriously skills grinds was a dumb as idea.. I'd rather just lose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users