What Triggers Me In Mwo

39 replies to this topic

#21 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:32 PM

View PostCarpenocturn, on 11 January 2021 - 05:23 PM, said:

Can you play MWO without following it's rules?

1. Win, lose or draw result - are there other mixed results that you can have?
2. A mech without its legs, head or center torso is destroyed - are you not counted as destroyed if these are matched?
3. Drop format - Will the game begin if there are less mechs than the format?
etc

Game makes the rules and are the only rules that matter as its the ultimate impartial umpire

Any other rules the player imposed on themselves and maybe others as well without their consent

Now if the game rules don't work as intended that another issue

But given any set of game rules, if the game allows it, its legal. Less say chess

Also online gaming is more of a drop in thing for most people than anything organized so you have a different demographic compared to sports or service, work.

Less organized more casual

Just wish PGI keep their finger on the pulse better, then maybe every one could of had a place.

#22 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:20 AM

Some of us can laugh at defeat.. Some of us aren't super competitive, i mean i love a win but if we lose its all good i still make some Cbills, next match maybe but at least i get to play my sweet sweet Ultraviolet every match..

Calm down switch to decaf and realise there is more to life than trying to be a virtual esports champion in MWO..

If you want somewhat hardcore, find 11 like minded e-heroes and join faction war.

Edited by Samial, 12 January 2021 - 03:23 AM.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:51 AM

losing well is almost as important as playing well.

#24 Drunken Firebat

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:04 AM

Enemy pilots ignoring me.

Yes, I know, it sucks when you're the center of unfriendly attention. But geez, guys, just because I'm in a Founder's Hunchback doesn't mean you can ignore me. Especially when it's been... modified. :)

I mean, sure, you're in a Dire Wolf, but if you turn your back on a Hunchback with an LB20X you kind of deserve what happens next. To say nothing of the guy who turned his back on me when I was running the Hunch with a frigging heavy gauss...

#25 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:13 AM

View PostCarpenocturn, on 11 January 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

“It’s just a video game.”
Yes it is just a video game and like all video games it has simple rules to follow to win that are based on the real world it is extrapolated from.

Information, position, firepower = win.

“Calm down man its all good.”
“Having fun is all that matters.”

Having fun in an exercise such as playing games is usually derived from feeling you had a chance to contribute fully

If you got left behind to be eaten by skirmishers in your assault nope, nope it doesn’t. If people don’t deploy uav’s or scout and you blunder into a firing line looking for an angle to shoot from, nope. If you scout and deploy uav’s and then the team hides and gets ploughed leaving you to carry them then, nope. If people don’t move to share ECM coverage vs missiles and you get drowned then, nope, it's not at all good.

There’s a lot of nope and it’s tied down to did you get to contribute or did someone else’s obvious selfishness, and I do mean stated in chat or voip, deprive you of it?

“It doesn’t matter if we lose.”
You get more credits for a win and are more likely to get a better rating*. If you like either that’s what you should focus on?

*I presume that’s how it is figured in to the process?

That's the paradox.

Mwo is a team game on the one hand at the same time though the difference in skill is vast. Not big, huge or ginormous, its just vast. As vast as the distance from our solar system to friggn alpha centauri. Meaning, if you only (want to) find enjoyment in your team's accomplishments and success you will be very disappointed in pug matches because in almost all teams throughout all the tiers, 50 -85 % of your team has much less than zero skill as if they have never in their lives touched and other game or theyre 2 years old and just randomly smash the buttons. And that's being very generous and kind. The reality is much worse. The players are often times so abysmal that you wonder how they surived up until now in RL.

The conclusion is that if you really want to get your enjoyment out of this component, the team effort/cohesion/communication/cooperation/success, then join a real team, a clan, go their websites, befriend them, practice with them and then play vs other (good) teams to get even better.

If you play pug madness then I would have very different priorities. I dont give a single **** about the team, not in the sense that I try to tell them where to go or what to do because the probability that any meaningful numbers in your team will listen is slim at best. I would say in maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 matches the players know what to do and communicate quite well. The rest of the matches it doesnt matter if you tell them to take center, or to counter rotate or to only go after that annoying light with one or two other lights and to not chase that single light mech with half your mechs. They just wont understand and thats when you will get very frustrated and even agry cause you wont understand why ppl are so dumb and without any kind of brain.

I comletly stopped doing that. Now I just set personal goals of playing well. Of destroying at least 2 to 4 mechs before I go down. Now, Im the one that starts the nascar and completly ignores, basically always, any slow *** assaults in the back for the single reason that the old saying is very much true:

'The best defense is a good offense'.

Wait for the usually abysmal, slow, incompotent assault pilots to move anymore and you will have lost all the good spolts on the map, you will have lost all the targets of opportunity that are slow and that try to catch up with team red's main nascar formation and you will just lose everything, the match, your mech and you will have achieve very little. To make it worth your while to give away such major advantages you would have to in turn generate huge advantages by covering your very slow heavies and assaults. And then you see that those mechs you saved stand far away from frot line, poke completly ineffectively with 4 er large lasers and some other weak *** weapons at ultra fast passing light mechs to barely scratch them while your front lines are missing hundreds and hundreds of tons of armor that they would have needed.

And most assault pilots, especially assault pilots, are absolutely abysmal and just dont understand the game. Trying to cover them is literally the dumbest thing you could do. Almost the dumbest thing in the game. It is different when you see good players. Players you recognize. Most of them are in good teams and even compete. That is different. But youll be surprised (or not) when you then realize that those players do not stay far in the back. Theyre not completly out of position. They do not field the weakest possible loadouts in their assault tanks. They might even be at those good positions before your lights reach those position because they do not waste any time and suddenly you realize that you dont even need to cover them. But if anybody deserves your mechs armor and your cover it is those good pilots. Not the average, abysmal pug assault pilot.

In fact, crying for ppl to cover those 85 % abysmal assault pilots is the very worst advice you can give ppl here. Thats completly dumb.

Ill tell you how it really is.

Completly ignore that advice and do what really works. Hunt team reds slow, bad, incompetent or very new assault pilots and remove them from the map asap. And you cannot do that by covering and waiting for your weak, slow, time wasting, badly equipped assault pilots.

Fun fact: playing assaults well is literally the hardest part in the entire game. And yet theyre so popular with new or moderately experienced players. You need to know exactly where you have to go and you need to move there from the first nano second on when the game starts. Not a single nano second later. You need to know the map, where most rotations will happen, where you really sholdnt be 30 seconds into the map, 1 min into the map, 3,75 mins into the map, 12 mins into the map. And you need to know all that blindly.

In reality, 20 % of the clumsy and weak or completly new assault pilots are late to the match and just stand around 20 - 60 seconds of the match which is again one of the really dumbest things you could do in an assault. And those players are not worth any cover at all. That would seconds wasted that you could have invested into actually winning the game. Or the 20 - 40 % of the assaults that just bring weird builds that are simply not suited for the closer to medium ranges of mwo's nascar style. They just bring weird *** loadouts for funsies, cause its fun and funny and all that haha. Yeah...its funny, but Id never cover any of them. I like to win. If somebody shows me theyre at least moderately smart and compotent I will cover them and I did cover them. But thats only a smaller percentage.

In 80 % of the instances it ist best to completly ignore any of your struggling assaults or slow heavies to instead focus everything on taking out team red. That is the way to win pug matches.

#26 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

View PostLowSubmarino, on 12 January 2021 - 10:13 AM, said:

Don't help bad players in qp

you forgot to mention that if for whatever reason you make the mistake of going back to save that poor lost stumbling solo drop hero, the second you start fighting the 3 guys farming him component by component, and they switch to you because they realize you're the bigger threat, you will find yourself in a 1v3, as you look for your assault friend you just saved, wondering why all that firepower isn't now landing on these enemies, you will in 100% of cases see the a-h0le end of a 100 tonner running away from you and the enemy at 45kph

#27 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:46 AM

You generally can't decide how to play in QP until after observing what your team does in the first few minutes of a match.

Some games I try to get people to do stuff. Sometimes they do, but their awareness or aim is bad and we lose anyway even if we're in a good spot. Other times I charge in full into the enemy Nascar style in my Timberwolf then suddenly I'm surrounded by friendly Vapor Eagles poptarting on the enemy like crazy and we win without saying a single word to each other.

It's very random so I just write off losses where I derp and assume my team wants to do X but do Y instead.

#28 Kazgruta

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:50 AM

As a new player i feel the game makes it look like quick play games are for testing mech loadouts and improve your skillswhile faction play is where the skilled/veterans/serious players are. It sounds to me like OP has reach the point where it'a time to move from qp to fp.

#29 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:40 AM

View PostKazgruta, on 12 January 2021 - 10:50 AM, said:

As a new player i feel the game makes it look like quick play games are for testing mech loadouts and improve your skillswhile faction play is where the skilled/veterans/serious players are.

That was the PGI's original intent.

View PostKazgruta, on 12 January 2021 - 10:50 AM, said:

It sounds to me like OP has reach the point where it'a time to move from qp to fp.

The majority of MWO players has been content with staying in the Quick Play instead of moving to the Faction Play.

#30 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:04 PM

View Postmartian, on 12 January 2021 - 11:40 AM, said:

The majority of MWO players has been content with staying in the Quick Play instead of moving to the Faction Play.

That is because the majority of players want to "play" not to "compete". Hence my sh*tpost about "SPORTS!" earlier. Playing is a form of stress relieve from our daily repetitive boring lives with responsibilities and strict rules that must be followed to the letter. We relieve our stress by playing and having fun.

#31 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:34 PM

View Postmartian, on 12 January 2021 - 11:40 AM, said:

That was the PGI's original intent.

These statements are still mutually consistent.

The vast majority of MWO players are not skilled/serious.

That's not a shot at people. It's just an honest reflection of the demographic. MWO's playerbase is old. Really old. The core mechanics (aiming, map awareness, reflexes) of the average player are really weak compared to the average gamer.

To make matters worse, MWO gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself with in the MechLab. Fans of TTBT and BT Lore who make up most of the playerbase often build Mechs which appeal to their sense of personal style or roleplay, regardless of their performance in MWO.

Edit to add: Regarding serious players. Older gamers who grew up before the internet age just tend to lack the resilience for serious play. You have to be able to lose - a lot, reflect on those losses, and use that insight to improve your play in order to succeed in games. It's much easier to just throw your hands up and say "Well, I didn't care that much anyway!"

Edited by Vlad Ward, 12 January 2021 - 12:40 PM.

#32 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

I am a very casual player for the most part, but let's be honest about FP. The time it took to get into a match sometimes was a huge turn-off. I had drop decks ready. I even have multiples of some mechs to fill out decks with which I planned out, grinded for and decked out with camo.

All that doesn't matter with the shitshow that was the FP queue system.

#33 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

View PostElizander, on 12 January 2021 - 12:48 PM, said:

I am a very casual player for the most part, but let's be honest about FP. The time it took to get into a match sometimes was a huge turn-off. I had drop decks ready. I even have multiples of some mechs to fill out decks with which I planned out, grinded for and decked out with camo.

All that doesn't matter with the shitshow that was the FP queue system.

Yup. That was a big turn off the game for a long time for me. My Time zone put me out of touch for my Faction(team) except for weekends and even then it required planning.
Solo queue is the only workable option for me.

Good news though. I gave up execting anything from the teams and had a 70% win rate, 50% survival rate last night. I even dropped the UAV's for artillery/air strikes and ignored the voices on comms asking for UAV coverage.

"I feel much better now that I've given up hope" - Ashley Brilliant.

#34 SCRAPMETAL99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:07 AM

View PostNightbird, on 11 January 2021 - 03:39 PM, said:

What amuses me IRL

People that ask others to change instead of changing themselves... and then complains about it.

yh i tryed that o i changed myself now everyone wants me to change lol cant win

#35 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:34 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 12 January 2021 - 12:34 PM, said:

Edit to add: Regarding serious players. Older gamers who grew up before the internet age just tend to lack the resilience for serious play. You have to be able to lose - a lot, reflect on those losses, and use that insight to improve your play in order to succeed in games. It's much easier to just throw your hands up and say "Well, I didn't care that much anyway!"

I wouldn't say that's entirely it.

As you get older, you slow down, our reflexes aren't what they were in our twenties and we tend to have bigger things going on in life, being competitive just isn't a thing. There's not many eSporters over 40.

There's also lifestyles to consider. Someone whose just worked a 40 hour week labouring and has a wife and kids at home isn't going to have the competitive mentality of someone who lives with their parents and doesn't have to worry about rent/cooking meals (extreme ends of the spectrum I know).

Edited by VonBruinwald, 13 January 2021 - 07:35 AM.

#36 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

#37 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 January 2021 - 07:34 AM, said:

I wouldn't say that's entirely it.

As you get older, you slow down, our reflexes aren't what they were in our twenties and we tend to have bigger things going on in life, being competitive just isn't a thing. There's not many eSporters over 40.

There's also lifestyles to consider. Someone whose just worked a 40 hour week labouring and has a wife and kids at home isn't going to have the competitive mentality of someone who lives with their parents and doesn't have to worry about rent/cooking meals (extreme ends of the spectrum I know).

These things aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm a STEM professional in my 30's working 50-60 hours per week on average with a healthy social life. I don't play all day ever day. I don't even play every week.

What's important is how you play. I build Mechs that I sincerely believe will perform well in the current state of MWO (these are often what people would call "Meta mechs"). When I get stomped, I take a look at the Mech I built and how I played and look for the things I could change to do better. I learn from those mistakes and improve. For me, that's not competitiveness - that's just good sportsmanship.

All communities have their quirks. One of MWO's is that good sports are few and far between.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 13 January 2021 - 11:43 AM.

#38 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:06 PM

This is another common issue in a lot of online games, comes down to what some call Tryhards vs Casuals.

Personally I do not like limiting gamers to only 2 groups.

Every online game I have tried has this especially if you are Soloing, you have no control over what everyone else on the team wants to do so you get different types of people doing different objectives. Most are 5 v 5 but it gets worse when you have 12 v 12, I fear those games advertising 100+ players on 2 teams in the same fight.

#39 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:06 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 13 January 2021 - 11:33 AM, said:

For me, that's not competitiveness - that's just good sportsmanship.

I'm sorry, but focusing on the meta orientated builds and mix-maxing your build/playstyle is competitive. Sportsmanship is more about your attitude than how you perform. Granted, taking a trial mech in T1 isn't sportsmanlike as you're holding your team back, but neither is a T1 killing a cadet without giving him a chance (ideally the two should never meet but broken MM and all...).

#40 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:42 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 January 2021 - 06:06 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but focusing on the meta orientated builds and mix-maxing your build/playstyle is competitive. Sportsmanship is more about your attitude than how you perform. Granted, taking a trial mech in T1 isn't sportsmanlike as you're holding your team back, but neither is a T1 killing a cadet without giving him a chance (ideally the two should never meet but broken MM and all...).

I was talking about how mature folks react to losses.

Every game has casual players. There are plenty of MWO players who take it 'seriously'. A lot of them just spend years doing the same thing and never improving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users