What Triggers Me In Mwo

39 replies to this topic

#1 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:09 PM

“It’s just a video game.”
Yes it is just a video game and like all video games it has simple rules to follow to win that are based on the real world it is extrapolated from.

Information, position, firepower = win.

“Calm down man its all good.”
“Having fun is all that matters.”

Having fun in an exercise such as playing games is usually derived from feeling you had a chance to contribute fully

If you got left behind to be eaten by skirmishers in your assault nope, nope it doesn’t. If people don’t deploy uav’s or scout and you blunder into a firing line looking for an angle to shoot from, nope. If you scout and deploy uav’s and then the team hides and gets ploughed leaving you to carry them then, nope. If people don’t move to share ECM coverage vs missiles and you get drowned then, nope, it's not at all good.

There’s a lot of nope and it’s tied down to did you get to contribute or did someone else’s obvious selfishness, and I do mean stated in chat or voip, deprive you of it?

“It doesn’t matter if we lose.”
You get more credits for a win and are more likely to get a better rating*. If you like either that’s what you should focus on?

*I presume that’s how it is figured in to the process?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:11 PM

It's just a video game, calm down man it's all good.

#3 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:22 PM

I mean, let's be real for a second. If you're hearing those things on comms during matches then you're probably being a **** on comms.

We all know it's a game. If someone feels the need to remind you, it's because you're acting like you forgot.

Bonus wisdom: It's unreasonable to expect strangers in a pick-up match to do the things you want them to do. If you need team support to play the way you want to play, solo QP is a high risk mode for you.

#4 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

Yes it is just a video game and like all video games it has simple rules to follow to win that are based on the real world it is extrapolated from.

Rules to win? Based on real world? Sounds like sports to me...

#5 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

View PostCarpenocturn, on 11 January 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

“It’s just a video game.”

Information, position, firepower = win.

“Calm down man its all good.”
“Having fun is all that matters.”

Having fun in an exercise such as playing games is usually derived from feeling you had a chance to contribute fully

If you got left behind to be eaten by skirmishers in your assault nope, nope it doesn’t. If people don’t deploy uav’s or scout and you blunder into a firing line looking for an angle to shoot from, nope. If you scout and deploy uav’s and then the team hides and gets ploughed leaving you to carry them then, nope. If people don’t move to share ECM coverage vs missiles and you get drowned then, nope, it's not at all good.

There’s a lot of nope and it’s tied down to did you get to contribute or did someone else’s obvious selfishness, and I do mean stated in chat or voip, deprive you of it?

“It doesn’t matter if we lose.”
You get more credits for a win and are more likely to get a better rating*. If you like either that’s what you should focus on?

*I presume that’s how it is figured in to the process?

If you got left behind and were eaten by skirmishers: don't play assaults you can't keep up in, it's qp, you will get left behind, operate under that assumption

if people didn't see a firing line you blundered into, it's your fault, you failed to notice a firing line, the main and the only reliable scout in qp for you is you

if you keep deploying uavs that don't result in the team acting on it, stop bringing uavs, bring a strike instead and hurt the enemy team, clearly you know where they are since you drop such great uavs, arty them istead

if people don't move to share their ecm with you when you're getting rained on, how about you move to take advantage of their ecm yourself? the universe does not revolve around you, don't expect your team to do what's best for you

it's qp, people have always played selfish in qp, and always will, either adapt to play in that environment, or play another game mode

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

What amuses me IRL

People that ask others to change instead of changing themselves... and then complains about it.

#7 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

So the general trend from your advice is

Don't play, this game isn't for you
or
Play for you and you only.

Which results in another lost player or a selfish player contributing and promoting selfish play.

Some directed replies
You contridict your self in several of your own replies Hazeclaw. I've already pointed out you have comprehension issues, maybe you need to change?

Lockheed - If I change what mech I am playing how can I upskill it? Won't that unbalance the queues and lead to crazy queue times? If I leave it up to others to dictate what type of mech I play, isn't that giving them control over my life?

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Like results matter?

Its a game

Posted Image

#9 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

View PostCarpenocturn, on 11 January 2021 - 04:40 PM, said:

You contridict your self in several of your own replies Hazeclaw. I've already pointed out you have comprehension issues, maybe you need to change?

how? you said nothing of meaning

maybe I need to change, would you point out where in my points I was wrong?

#10 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

3 Definitie points of meaning

1. Information, position, firepower = win
2. Having fun in an exercise such as playing games is usually derived from feeling you had a chance to contribute fully
3. You get more credits for a win and are more likely to get a better rating*. If you like either that’s what you should focus on?

View PostHazeclaw, on 11 January 2021 - 03:32 PM, said:

if you keep deploying uavs that don't result in the team acting on it, stop bringing uavs, bring a strike instead and hurt the enemy team, clearly you know where they are since you drop such great uavs, arty them istead

If I bring artillery in place of UAV's, I and my team don't know where the enemy team is to drop that artillery.
Confirmation is needed otherwise it's just guessing.

UAV's are the least selfish things you can bring and you are actively advocating against them tells me far, sadly, to much

Edited by Carpenocturn, 11 January 2021 - 05:18 PM.

#11 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

View Postselfish shellfish, on 11 January 2021 - 03:29 PM, said:

Rules to win? Based on real world? Sounds like sports to me...

Can you play MWO without following it's rules?

1. Win, lose or draw result - are there other mixed results that you can have?
2. A mech without its legs, head or center torso is destroyed - are you not counted as destroyed if these are matched?
3. Drop format - Will the game begin if there are less mechs than the format?
etc

#12 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:44 PM

View PostCarpenocturn, on 11 January 2021 - 05:17 PM, said:

3 Definitie points of meaning

1. Information, position, firepower = win
2. Having fun in an exercise such as playing games is usually derived from feeling you had a chance to contribute fully
3. You get more credits for a win and are more likely to get a better rating*. If you like either that’s what you should focus on?

If I bring artillery in place of UAV's, I and my team don't know where the enemy team is to drop that artillery.

UAV's are the least selfish things you can bring and you are actively advocating against them tells me far, sadly, to much

I meant in your last post where all you said was that I have comprehension issues, without any form of response to what I actually said

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

If you can't work out where the enemy team is without a UAV you need to work on your situational awareness

Sure, UAVs are not selfish, I am not advocating for or against them, I am simply stating how things are in this game. There are places in this game where UAVs are awesome, however in the specific environment that is QP they are not

Bottom line is this: You may choose to play a game mode differently than the vast majority of other players inhabiting it choose to, but don't get mad if the 11 other people on your team don't completely change how they're doing things to accommodate you.

I've been where you are, where I played a lot of QP and got frustrated by the selfishness of other players. Eventually the reality set in and I had to face the truth that other people won't play the way I want them to. In QP players act selfish, it is the way QP is played, you can try to fight the current and lose, you can put together a kickass 4 man and do whatever you want, you can change and play like everyone else, or you can play another game mode where gameplay is different. Those are your options, if you're not happy with any of them that's too bad. Unfortunately you don't always get what you want exactly the way you want it in life.

#13 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 06:10 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 11 January 2021 - 04:00 PM, said:

That's actually a really good point there.
I had to change a lot after the PSR reset. I still don't like the current meta, but I still do enjoy the game. So either I change my way of playing or my experience is gonna get really bad. It's totally up to me. Most importantly, changing myself is something that I have control over, changing others not. Expecting others to change is giving away control over my life.

I like playing assaults, but certain hours when there is lots of pre-mades racing for the championship title I am not gonna drop in an assault. Does it suck that I cannot play an assault whenever I want? sure! But getting eaten by a pack of lights and mediums sucks more, so I chose a faster mech. That's what I can control. If that is not enough for me the other thing that I can control is whether I spend time playing MWO or not.

I'm glad someone gets it. It's the #1 reason I see people fail IRL, they want the world to work in a certain way and its people to behave in a certain way. Of course it doesn't work, and then they blame their failures on it, never acknowledging the contradiction in demanding change while refusing to change themselves.

#14 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:43 PM

There's big differences between playing as a team, playing with your team, playing around your team, and playing despite your team.

1) Playing as a team is a mutual effort. You do your part and they do theirs. Its the best, but its not what happens in Quickplay (at least, you can't rely on it to happen.) Most disappointment in team games comes from trying to play as a team with people who aren't playing with you. Examples of playing as a team is pushing together, timing a push with a flank, etc. The problem is that if you do your part and they don't do theirs, then you die, and usually the team loses. If they push and you don't, it fails. If you push and they don't, it fails. Its the Prisoner's Dilemma where you must cooperate+cooperate or its a fail.

2) Playing with your team is similar, but less proactive. Instead of trying to coordinate as a team, you watch what the team is doing and then try to do something supportive. Instead of being like "Hey team, lets go to X and do Y?" its "My team seems to be going to X, so I'll go there too." Of course, this is not as optimal. And sometime your team will just mill about with no clear direction, and everyone waiting for someone else to decide first. Or part of your team will try something and not get supported. But by taking a more passive role, at least you yourself don't feel mad at your team for not doing things with you properly.

3) Playing around your team is even more defensive. This is mainly if you're in a group. You have a strategy that you pursue regardless of what your team might be trying. People end up doing this de-factor a lot of the time.

4) Playing despite your team may not look any different from 3 in practice, but its a different attitude. You're just out to wrack up dmg before everything crashes and burns.

So the problem is people trying to do 1) with people doing 3) and 4). If everyone does 2 and 3, then things work out.

People try to do 1, get burned, feel bitter, and then switch to 3/4. So just try to stick to 2 (and 3 if in a group).

Edited by Heavy Money, 11 January 2021 - 08:21 PM.

#15 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:14 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 11 January 2021 - 05:44 PM, said:

1. if you keep deploying uavs that don't result in the team acting on it, stop bringing uavs, bring a strike instead and hurt the enemy team, clearly you know where they are since you drop such great uavs, arty them istead

2. I meant in your last post where all you said was that I have comprehension issues, without any form of response to what I actually said

1.You contridict your self in several of your own replies Hazeclaw. I've already pointed out you have comprehension issues, maybe you need to change?

2.If I bring artillery in place of UAV's, I and my team don't know where the enemy team is to drop that artillery.

Same layout as the questions were posed

#16 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:17 PM

Alrighty then.

I'll try Heavy Money's 2 and 3 idea and see how it goes.

Hazeclaw - I appreciate you keeping up and keeping in no matter how much you'd punch me in the face, which I'd like to do on occasion to.
Keep up the pewpew!

#17 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:36 PM

View PostCarpenocturn, on 11 January 2021 - 08:14 PM, said:

2.If I bring artillery in place of UAV's, I and my team don't know where the enemy team is to drop that artillery.

it's usually quite obvious where the enemy deathball is located, you really don't need UAVs to tell you where you should be placing your strikes. in an optimal scenario you're likely to have direct line of sight anyway in order to drop your arty right in the middle of the crowd.

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:38 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 11 January 2021 - 07:43 PM, said:

1)
2)
3)
4)

Or, instead of picking a choice and being stubborn about it, judge what the random team is willing to do at the start of the match and picking the actions that allow you to do your best. Can never go wrong.

#19 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:43 PM

View PostNightbird, on 11 January 2021 - 08:38 PM, said:

Or, instead of picking a choice and being stubborn about it, judge what the random team is willing to do at the start of the match and picking the actions that allow you to do your best. Can never go wrong.

That is best, of course.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:48 PM

if you dont want people to state the obvious, dont act like a noob.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users