14 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:37 AM

I'm looking at my stock Summoner D and it says Energy Range +10% and AMS Range +10%, but my LAMS and AMS have the same range. Shouldn't energy stuff affect the energy AMS?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:54 AM

It logically should, but it doesn't.

#3 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:53 AM

View PostFupDup, on 14 January 2021 - 02:54 AM, said:

It logically should, but it doesn't.

It doesn't make sense logically, both normal and laser AMS fall under a separate category so logically the quirks that effect ballistics or energy wouldn't apply.

#4 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:54 AM

Yeah I'm with Basmati Rice here.

AMS is its own category, otherwise ballistic range quirks would affect regs AMS. Its a lot easier to keep them separate, and frankly I agree with it.

#5 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

Just look up Kit Fox KFX-C, it's got as quirks:

+10% AMS Range
+5% AMS ROF (Rate of Fire)

http://mech.nav-alpha.com

Edited by w0qj, 14 January 2021 - 10:06 AM.

#6 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

View PostBasmati Rice, on 14 January 2021 - 06:53 AM, said:

It doesn't make sense logically, both normal and laser AMS fall under a separate category so logically the quirks that effect ballistics or energy wouldn't apply.

Laser AMS is canonically a Small Pulse Laser that has been repurposed to shoot down missiles (regular AMS is a Machine Gun). Therefore, most of the quirks that affect lasers should affect an anti-missile laser as well.

Edited by FupDup, 14 January 2021 - 01:17 PM.

#7 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:37 PM

View PostElizander, on 14 January 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

I'm looking at my stock Summoner D and it says Energy Range +10% and AMS Range +10%, but my LAMS and AMS have the same range. Shouldn't energy stuff affect the energy AMS?

It should, but in practice the quirks are for laser offensive weapons.

Fun fact: velocity quirks (general or skill-tree based) effect Laser AMS.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 14 January 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

Does the extra velocity make the AMS shoot down missiles better?

#9 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:22 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 January 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

Laser AMS is canonically a Small Pulse Laser that has been repurposed to shoot down missiles (regular AMS is a Machine Gun). Therefore, most of the quirks that affect lasers should affect an anti-missile laser as well.

Canonically maybe, but what color are the AMS units in the mechlab? Yellow/purple, or green? Do they use Energy/ballistic hardpoints, or AMS hardpoints?

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 14 January 2021 - 02:23 PM.

#10 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

Looking at my Kit Fox Purifier with the Support loadout, looks as though, everything is effected on AMS... Next to were it says range, there should be green in the parenthesis after the range and the like. Oddly enough, looks as though laser AMS is also affected by velocity! This one is a bit baffling. Oh, and ammo racks, will effect the ammo for the AMS should it be a ballistic AMS system. Personally, I do not run L-AMS on anything as it will effect your heat to a great deal, the more missiles, the more heat, the more L-AMS the more heat.

Duh, it just dawned on me what you are talking about... Quicks... No, I don 't think they will affect AMS range, or damage unless there is a quirk specifying so...

Edited by Swamp Ass MkII, 14 January 2021 - 03:39 PM.

#11 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:28 PM

The Civil War MWO timeline introduced the LAMS (Laser AMS); previous all AMS were ammo-based projectiles.
http://mwomercs.com/civil-war-update

==>If AMS is truely affected ingame by all attributes (especially +Velocity which is usually for projectiles and PPC), then perhaps the MWO programmers got lazy, when the Civil War update came they simply made LAMS Laser and not ammo based, but the MWO game backend still treats each Laser shot as a "projectile"?

==>The other possibility (and requires ingame testing) is: mechbay display bug. +Velocity etc. displayed in mechbay does not necessarily mean that ingame behaviour is affected. Needs ingame testing to verify.

But thanks everyone's very interesting comments regarding LAMS/AMS !

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 14 January 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 14 January 2021 - 03:30 PM, said:

Looking at my Kit Fox Purifier with the Support loadout, looks as though, everything is effected on AMS... Next to were it says range, there should be green in the parenthesis after the range and the like. Oddly enough, looks as though laser AMS is also affected by velocity! This one is a bit baffling. Oh, and ammo racks, will effect the ammo for the AMS should it be a ballistic AMS system. Personally, I do not run L-AMS on anything as it will effect your heat to a great deal, the more missiles, the more heat, the more L-AMS the more heat.

Duh, it just dawned on me what you are talking about... Quicks... No, I don 't think they will affect AMS range, or damage unless there is a quirk specifying so...

#12 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:15 AM

View PostElizander, on 14 January 2021 - 01:40 PM, said:

Does the extra velocity make the AMS shoot down missiles better?

I couldn't say, to be honest. Since I usually run lots of energy builds with LAMS, I go with range. Range + AMS Overload has a better utility than velocity.

Its akin to whether or not velocity affects machine guns... they're hit scan weapons, so its not precise enough to be measured.

#13 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:48 AM

canonically

Into the trash your opinion goes, arguing from the 'muh lore' perspective is dumb because thats fluff.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

View PostBasmati Rice, on 15 January 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

Into the trash your opinion goes, arguing from the 'muh lore' perspective is dumb because thats fluff.

It's not just "muh boardgame," it's also general intuitive logic that AMS/LAMS would get treated as ballistic/laser weapons because they literally shoot bullets/lasers.

From a gameplay perspective, it's not like letting AMS/LAMS benefit from ballistic/energy quirks would result in any mech becoming overpowered.

#15 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:10 AM

It's not just "muh boardgame,"

You know what, even in TT stuff that impacts the effectiveness of energy weapons doesn't apply to LAMS. So MWO is in fact consistent with TT.

View PostFupDup, on 15 January 2021 - 01:21 PM, said:

it's also general intuitive logic that AMS/LAMS would get treated as ballistic/laser weapons because they literally shoot bullets/lasers.

Why? They are in a separate category in-game. Your knowledge of sources outside of a game don't matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users