Mad-4Hp Advice

19 replies to this topic

#1 Techno Magician

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

Hey I was thinking of running this build MAD-4HP. Any advice? First time really playing assault fairly new overall as far as games played. I am currently running it with some srm6s but no snub nose ppc. It already runs hot(I feel), so a bit worried with PPCs it's gunna just overheat too quickly.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

I just turned it into a full on brawler. I just use two fire groups of 4x SRM6 each. It kills this ridiculously fast.

MAD-4HP 8x SRM6

#3 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

It's a very short-ranged loadout. I mean, it can work in confined spaces or when the enemy team is coming to you.

What about using MRMs instead of SRMs? They would give your 'Mech a longer reach.

#4 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

View Postmartian, on 14 January 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

It's a very short-ranged loadout. I mean, it can work in confined spaces or when the enemy team is coming to you.

What about using MRMs instead of SRMs? They would give your 'Mech a longer reach.

Heat and I'm used to playing the brawler Scorch so SRM range is something I am used to getting into even on maps like Polar.

#5 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:22 PM

MRM's don't give you much range since they spread sooooooooo much.

If I remember right, my 4HP had 8SRM6 with Artemis, a STD350 engine and arms stripped of armour to make it fit. Engine might have been smaller too, can't log in to check right now.

Its an absolutely hilarious surprise for anyone coming around a corner at you, but the Cyclops with 6ASRM6+SRM2 is just so much more mobile I'd rather be piloting that instead.

#6 Techno Magician

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:37 PM

View Postmartian, on 14 January 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

Yea I found I get out ranged a bit, I tried fitting regular ppc to my build but just couldn't fit without hurting my ammo count too much, thought maybe the snub would allow so scare factor/minor dps at longer ranges

I tried MRM but found i am terrible with them comparatively

How much does the atremis affect the grouping? I've read its noticable on srm6, so i figured a bunch of 4s would be fine without? Kinda the thought i had from what i've read around

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:40 PM

View PostTechno Magician, on 14 January 2021 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yea I found I get out ranged a bit, I tried fitting regular ppc to my build but just couldn't fit without hurting my ammo count too much, thought maybe the snub would allow so scare factor/minor dps at longer ranges

I tried MRM but found i am terrible with them comparatively

How much does the atremis affect the grouping? I've read its noticable on srm6, so i figured a bunch of 4s would be fine without? Kinda the thought i had from what i've read around

If range is an issue you either practice and get better at MRMs which does take time or you slap on LRMs on it. You can just ignore the tons of hard points or use it for its intended purpose with Rocket Launchers which have around 370 range and around 60-70 minimum range. Each RL20 does 40 damage.

IS SRM6s are fine for me without Artemis, but having the spread go tighter is always better.

Edited by Elizander, 14 January 2021 - 12:41 PM.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

View PostGagis, on 14 January 2021 - 12:22 PM, said:

MRM's don't give you much range since they spread sooooooooo much.

If I remember right, my 4HP had 8SRM6 with Artemis, a STD350 engine and arms stripped of armour to make it fit. Engine might have been smaller too, can't log in to check right now.

Its an absolutely hilarious surprise for anyone coming around a corner at you, but the Cyclops with 6ASRM6+SRM2 is just so much more mobile I'd rather be piloting that instead.

Personally I have no problem with SRMs on faster 'Mechs, but sometimes I run MRMs on slower 'Mechs. Even though MRMs have a noticeable spread, the range is still better than the range of SRMs.

View PostTechno Magician, on 14 January 2021 - 12:37 PM, said:

SRM-2 and SRM-4 are good even without Artemis IV. SRM-6 really benefit from Artemis IV, unless you are really okay with that wide missile spread.

View PostElizander, on 14 January 2021 - 12:40 PM, said:

If range is an issue you either practice and get better at MRMs which does take time or you slap on LRMs on it. You can just ignore the tons of hard points or use it for its intended purpose with Rocket Launchers which have around 370 range and around 60-70 minimum range. Each RL20 does 40 damage.

IS SRM6s are fine for me without Artemis, but having the spread go tighter is always better.

I would avoid LRMs. The higher between Tiers you move, the more ECM and AMS you will see.
Plus, the higher you are, the more enemies who know how to take cover when facing LRMs you will meet.

As for Rocket Launchers, I consider them to be among the worst MWO weapons you can use.

Edited by martian, 14 January 2021 - 12:50 PM.

#9 Techno Magician

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:55 PM

I feel like RL are stuck where you want to run them on something light that can get behind and unload it into the back of some unmoving behemoth from the just above minimum range, but only heavy and assaults can really run them without completely gimping themselves outside that single salvo, making it hard to get any type of grouping with them.

But I could be completely wrong. I did try the default rocket launcher build and had some fun with it though.

Edited by Techno Magician, 14 January 2021 - 12:56 PM.

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

View PostTechno Magician, on 14 January 2021 - 12:55 PM, said:

I feel like RL are stuck where you want to run them on something light that can get behind and unload it into the back of some unmoving behemoth from the just above minimum range, but only heavy and assaults can really run them without completely gimping themselves outside that single salvo, making it hard to get any type of grouping with them.

But I could be completely wrong. I did try the default rocket launcher build and had some fun with it though.

I think you should just play around it it, experiment and not worry about tier loss too much until you find something that works for you.

For me, I just find the nearest corner that enemy mechs will most likely come from and plaster the first poor ******* that comes over with 100 damage.

#11 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:51 PM

Rockets are just bad. Don't bother unless its some intentional troll build like a rocket flea.

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:32 PM

I personally did 4 LRM15s (last I recall) backed with two LLs and two ERMLs. Play it more as a mid line fighter. Of course, it's not a build for everyone and I know it's meta build are SRM boats typically... But just some food for thought.

#13 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:37 AM

nothing wrong with Rockets if used correctly. They are great fight initiators to give you an edge

https://mech.nav-alp...f9c1211_MAD-4HP

Group the Rockets into 2 firing groups. After the Rockets are gone, you still have good firepower MRM60+MLas20, good speed, and decent heat management.

https://mech.nav-alp...65b10d7_MAD-4HP

If you're going SRM, then full on SRM brawl. Don't bother with the SNPPC. Left right punch with the SRMs and then a laser salvo if needed to clean up the kill.

#14 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:46 AM

View PostImperialKnight, on 15 January 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

The rocket loadout has less firepower than a heavy mech once the rockets are expended.

Heres a better way to build the SRM version:
https://mech.nav-alp...1d0657c_MAD-4HP
Note how I did not strip head even though I stripped the arms. Marauders all have extremely large head hitboxes and Marauder II has the largest of the large. On most other similar loadouts, you could go down to 1 head armour.
The ammo I put into that might be a little excessive. You can perhaps clear one arm of ammo and instead put some armour on the other.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:16 AM

I have my MAD-4HP fitted out like this.

#16 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:52 AM

View PostGagis, on 15 January 2021 - 02:46 AM, said:

The rocket loadout has less firepower than a heavy mech once the rockets are expended.

Heres a better way to build the SRM version:
https://mech.nav-alp...1d0657c_MAD-4HP
Note how I did not strip head even though I stripped the arms. Marauders all have extremely large head hitboxes and Marauder II has the largest of the large. On most other similar loadouts, you could go down to 1 head armour.
The ammo I put into that might be a little excessive. You can perhaps clear one arm of ammo and instead put some armour on the other.

sorry, i must have missed the part where how many IS Heavies can alpha 80 pts of damage without ghost heat? The whole point of the build isn't even firepower, it's about maximising the snowball effect of MWO's game mechanics. You initiate the fight with the Rockets and immediately take out an Assault or Heavy early, and it immediately tips the scale in your teams' favour. That's the power of boating Rockets. If you don't understand how MWO is a snowball game, then you won't get the point of the build.

also, ALL mechs have the same cockpit hitbox size regardless of tonnage and size. Just because the glass look bigger doesn't mean the hitbox is bigger. The cockpit is just situated in the middle of the CT in the frontal profile, so it probably tends to get hit more often than other cockpits. I've not gotten headshot but no harm keeping it maxed if that's the preference

#17 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:50 AM

View PostImperialKnight, on 15 January 2021 - 03:52 AM, said:

also, ALL mechs have the same cockpit hitbox size regardless of tonnage and size. Just because the glass look bigger doesn't mean the hitbox is bigger. The cockpit is just situated in the middle of the CT in the frontal profile, so it probably tends to get hit more often than other cockpits. I've not gotten headshot but no harm keeping it maxed if that's the preference

This is fundamentally wrong. Please take a look at Hitbox Localization 2 and immediately see how much.

#18 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 January 2021 - 04:50 AM, said:

This is fundamentally wrong. Please take a look at Hitbox Localization 2 and immediately see how much.

Holy crap, that Annihilator head hitbox is huge. No wonder it's so easy to kill those in lower tiers. I got a few one shots on them when the game fed me some cadets while leveling my HGauss Faffy.

#19 Techno Magician

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys

#20 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

Just remember it's advice. You do what you feel is good for you. If you like SRMs, than use those. If you want to see how it might work with MRMs, then give it a try. It's a game, so don't be afraid to experiment a little.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users