Internet Connectivity Issue

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Lion

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help. I came back to the game after a break of over a year and am suddenly experiencing difficulty connecting.

A large percentage of the time when I click on the portal icon I get an error message about the patcher can't connect and it's an internet issue. If the portal launches then a very large percentage of the time when I try to log in I get another error message, either that the servers are updating or there's an internet connection problem. When this happens I am unable to access the website, I get an error message that the website can't be found.

I sent a message to tech support but they were completely unhelpful.

There is no problem with the internet or computer. When either of these error messages occurs I can easily access other online games and websites. Fortnite, PUBG, Valorant, Minecraft all work 100% fine. Other websites work 100% fine.

This problem is not limited to my computer, it happens to my son on his computer also. Both computers are relatively new builds, running windows 10 and hardwired to the internet. We have an ASUS RT-AC86U router. Unfortunately I can't remember the password for the router, I may hard restart to factory resets or just buy a new router to eliminate that as a possible problem.

As the problem happens to more than one computer, and there is no problem with the internet, I have to assume that the problem is either with the router or with something on Piranha's end.

I have tried disabling the antivirus (AVG) but that does not seem to make a difference.The only thing that seems to make a little difference is if my son is playing an online game on his computer I seem to have a more difficult time logging on, but I still sometimes encounter this problem when he is not playing.

Do any of you gents and ladies have any suggestions? This is incredibly frustrating and I appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:20 PM

did you see the post about intel 10th / 11th gen cpus, at the top ? its kinda easy to miss ... but maybe try that first if it applies ... https://mwomercs.com...l-cpus-and-mwo/

View PostLord Lion, on 15 January 2021 - 02:44 PM, said:

When this happens I am unable to access the website, I get an error message that the website can't be found.

some of the weird ISP arrangements I've used in the past ( see, other peoples wifi in a 'double NAT' arrangement ) had weird times connecting to the MWO backend, most of the time in these instances, the best thing to combat it was to stop using that ISP's DNS servers, normal people would just change a single pc's connection to use google DNS servers ( 1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8 ) but I generally just added a manual record in my router, which may or may not be an option for most ....

the short description of what to try would be something like :

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections -> *YOUR ETHERNET ADAPTER!* -> properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 -> properties -> Use the following DNS server addresses -> 1.1.1.1 -> 8.8.8.8

that will have some nasty weird side effects if your using VPNs / anonymity software .... in that case, probably add them locally to the copy of windows by including it into the local hosts file .... if you google "windows 10 add local dns record", it'll give basic instructions .... probably easier to follow than my arrows before, and add the IP to the hosts file
192.99.109.143 mwomercs.com

Edited by NARC BAIT, 15 January 2021 - 10:22 PM.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:26 AM

Well, yes, it seems to be your internet, your routing to be specific. Your computer can't establish a connection to MWO's authentification servers because your DNS can't translate the server's address properly. As said above, try a different DNS server than the default one of you ISP.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

And the question as to why changing the DNS matter? The error you are receiving is generally due to your ISP (ISP DNS server) DNS servers have cached an incorrect IP address for the systems. The patching is a fancy browser, using Microsoft's browser hooks. And if your DNS is not setup to default but changed by another program and not yourselves, that DNS server may not have cached the correct info.

As for that router.. https://modemly.com/...6u-router-setup does provide directions on how to reset the router to factory settings, which will also reset the password.

https://mwomercs.com...11#entry3560411

Reboot Router, modem and/or gateway (unplug for at least 30 sec to 1 minute.

Perform a DNS flush.

Flush/Reset DNS and restart computer
Navigate to the desktop. (From Home, tap or click the Desktop tile).

Right-click the Start button (the Windows logo in the lower-left).

Choose Command Prompt (Admin).

When asked whether to allow Command Prompt to make changes to your computer, select Yes.

Note: If you are asked for an administrative login, you will need to contact your system administrator.

Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.

Type "ipconfig /registerdns" and press Enter.

Type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter.

Type "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter.

Type "netsh winsock reset" and press Enter.

Restart the computer.

Below would be how to change the DNS

https://developers.g...-dns/docs/using

What is your modem's make/model?
What is your ISP and general location?
Are you utilizing a VPN?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 January 2021 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Lionsroar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Tarl, I'll give that a try. Lord Lion is an alt account I set up for my younger son but he didn't get into the game.

The ISP is Optimum online, and I'm on Long Island, NY. Not using a VPN
Arris TM822 modem

(BTW somewhere in my mother's attic is a box of Gor novels)

Edited by Lionsroar, 30 January 2021 - 09:36 PM.

#6 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:22 PM

This may sound weird but try deleting your shader cache

I know , its wierd but I had similar problems with servers under maintenance messages

Deleting the server cache fix it for me some how lol

Also check their is a firewall rule for MWO in Win10 firewall for incoming traffic

Other wise maybe your router is misconfigured

Edited by General Solo, 30 January 2021 - 10:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users