35 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:09 PM

I played quite a few games with my last day of free premium time to get back up from like 160,000 c-bills to 6mish and I played through SEA time zone (afternoon, evening, GMT+8) all the way to US/EU time. During this time I have been in a few stomps of 12-0s and 0-12s and a few games of 12 to 4 or less both ways.

I'll focus on the points I observed when I was part of a 12-0 stomp.
  • I play solo.
  • There were no drop callers when we stomped the enemy.
  • The groups did not influence the team through chat or VIOP.
  • A few groups I saw that were with me in stomps were also in losing games. None were really dominant and winning 100%.
  • I was part of a couple of stomping team that had no visible groups.
  • 70% or more of the team is usually surprised when we win via stomp.
  • In the 12-0s that I was part of that I remember, all it took was 2-3 aggressive mechs pushing and the rest just happened to follow, BUT this is combined with having a very passive enemy team.
The 'best' stomp I was in only had a marauder and an HBK coming around the corner in Polar Domination. I was just leveling my Kitfox-C for the most part with 3 MPL and 2 MGs. There was maybe one enemy mech willing to prevent our push, but there were three of us. We killed a Blood Asp right away, injured a bushwacker and then the enemy team just starting backing off while we pushed and we ate them up.

The enemy team was barely shooting back because they were too busy running away.

How can I say this? I'm in a kitfox. It's not the most intimidating thing with 3 lasers and 2 MGs. I was able to stand on elevation, i view of 6 enemy mechs and stand still, aim CT on one mech and just do 5 alphas while firing my MGs without any return fire with only one other ally mech visible. It was 2v5 and no one shot back.

This was also the case i other stomps. I'd be in situations where I and another mech are outnumbered by the enemy, but they are panicking so much that they either can't hit us, don't shoot at all or are too busy running away to find cover.

I'd have to say I think I was part of more stomps than on the receiving end, but most of the wins were during US/EU time because I was leveling my Kitfox. In order to win more during my time (SEA) I'd have to use my Scorch or some other big hitter to take down enemies myself. Playing a support mech during SEA time is a real pain, let me tell you. :P

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:07 AM

Its matchmaking issue
bla bla bla bla bla
I'm sick of this song

#3 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:17 AM

Also the Tier you play at has an effect on group quality

Games with/at Tier 3,4 and 5 have lower skilled groups

and Games with/at Tier 1, 2 have higher skilled groups as a generall rule

Plus we know that even within a single Tier level their is skillgap as a T1 99% Jarls List group is usually better than a 89% Jarls List group.

Things that work in the lower tiers get you rekt higher up
At lower tiers people group for protection and perchieved increase in power but still largely play the same as they did playing solo.
Where as at the top tiers groups use all the advantages a group provides

So again matchmaking

DOH I think we can never have a perfect system, but dealing with extreme match ups is important for player base morale and thus monetization

Songs over

Groups have influence but can be defeated as long as the matchups are not outrageous

Edited by General Solo, 16 January 2021 - 12:29 AM.

#4 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:36 AM

I was in a 12-2 stomp a couple days ago. There was a 4 man premade on my team, but i was solo. Near the end once it was clear how bad of a stomp it was, other team starts complaining. "No surprise how this went given you had a group" "F*****ing matchmaker" "why bother if we have no group".

I checked the scoreboard at the end. I had ~900 dmg, 5 kmdd, 4 KBs, etc. Very nice score. The group had nobody over 300dmg. They were in fact some of the lowest ranked people on our team, and had been out damaged by plenty on the enemy team.

It upsets me that they gave all the credit to the group when their real problem was me, and the simple fact that I got to stand at an edge the whole match and constantly shoot people, and nobody ever really shot back. If I hadn't been allowed to just sit there and pump damage into them most of the match, it could have been very different. Both the loss and my good score were due to their team's failures, not our team's virtues.

Most stomps I see, from either side, come down to one team being super timid and often not firing their weapons.

#5 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:54 AM

very passive enemy team

If by "passive" you mean "doesnt shoot back properly", then yes, thats what happens. Otherwise your 2-3 mechs pushing gets focused fired into oblivion and the rest of your team grinds to a halt.

Happens most often when the enemy is split up and/or looking in the wrong direction so you are effectively only fighting half the team or less at once.

Had a 0-12 stomp earlier today when the enemy team did a massive push against one flank. We held them off a while with 3 mechs but the rest of our team didnt seem to notice all the red triangles and just kept running into the water on forest colony, so they just kept rolling over us.

As for why it happens, huge mismatch in actual player skill/mechs. It just boils down to one side not being able to put up a fight at all. Its like pitting a professional football club vs a bunch of random guys who barely know the rules and keep falling over themselves while trying to kick the ball...not hard to tell what the score is going to be like at the end.

The fact that we had a recent PSR reset for some of the population didnt help either since you have a lot of vets in the wrong tier getting matched against newbies.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 16 January 2021 - 03:02 AM.

#6 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

Should probably point out that some (many?) groups don't use the voice chat in the game, but their own preferred voice chat. So they're coordinating with each other but you can't hear them in-game.

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:37 PM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 16 January 2021 - 12:07 AM, said:

Its matchmaking issue
bla bla bla bla bla
I'm sick of this song

Its actually a lot of things.. Some are.
  • The mechs, builds and consumables used.
  • The cascade in deaths.
  • The biased as hell maps, where you drop gives advantages to teams.
  • Server conditions, ping times and players connections.
  • The way players play has a large impact.
  • The tiers and experience of the two teams dropping.
  • How social the teams are at working as a group somewhat helps/ Language difficulties.
All this counts to wins and loses..

Edited by Samial, 16 January 2021 - 08:38 PM.

#8 Grumpy Old Man

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:11 AM

Well, I have been back since December and have been playing a bit because I had time off and/or was bored.

I have been in a few stomps where I was mystified as to how they were happening. We have a good hard fight for 5 minutes, peeking, trading, repositioning (No Nascar for once) and when I died I was really surprised it was 0:8 at the time or something. Could not spot anything we did obviously wrong and have no idea what to blame, so to speak. Okay, a couple of our people were a bit light on damage output, but nothing outrageous.

And then I have been in stomps where it was plain as day what caused the problem, and I am sorry to say it was obviously groups. If I have a 4 Person group on my side and the whole group together does not manage 250 damage, then I am sorry, but I am going to blame them for the loss.

Of course, most matches fall somewhere in the middle, but I stopped playing when the solo queue turned into the soup queue. I do not want to join a group and with a max of 5 people (2 Person and 3 Person group on one side) in your team from groups, you need anything between 7 and 12 solo guys to get a side anyway.

It has gotten better than it was in the beginning, when the comp players decided to prove how broken the mechanic was by obliterating everybody in their organised groups, but the groups are still very frustrating to me because of how they work as force multipliers. A high end 4 Person is insanely hard to counter and a low end 4 Person is insanely hard to make up for.

**EDIT: Added: Obviously the group-related stomps are not the largest number of stomps, but they are the ones that aggravate me the most, personally. Everything else I feel is the luck of the draw in the match maker and not something I can affect. But after all this time the groups in the solo queue still feel like pgi trying to troll solo players.***

Edited by Grumpy Old Man, 17 January 2021 - 12:18 AM.

#9 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:36 AM

I have seen all manners of groups, and most of the time they are not the reason of stomps.

#10 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:54 AM

MWO is a snowball game. It comes down how much damage is traded at the correct spots and when. early critical hits/kills matter. it comes down to how many cowards you have on your team. they run, hide, deal no damage and die, dragging down the whole team with them.

an OK player in a right ballistic BAS can spearhead a push can deal 300 damage, open up 3 enemies, no kill, and die in the first 30 seconds, and it would have done more for the team

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:15 AM

First of all, there are no stomps. Paul said so. It may feel like a stomp to you, but let me assure you, it's all just a conspiracy theory. Simple as that.

#12 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:03 AM

Great observations -- refreshing among all the superstition and cynicism.

Relentless aggression and cohesion are the keys. By contrast, I was in an 0-12 loss last night: typical River City citadel freeze-up where my team huddled in an ever-shrinking blob, unable to simply pick a side and move forward into fire.

Where players get confused are different definitions of aggression and cohesion.

Comms usually help but it's situational awareness and skill that are actually being relayed, so on one hand a team that knows what it's doing can perform silently while a disorganized and low-skill team can chatter all it wants and still lose badly. (I write this specifically because I've had guys go NUH UHHH as if more talking would've helped.)

In terms of aggression, skirmishing and brawling are absolutely effective. The thing is that most high-skill players prefer medium- and long-range tactics, especially those with high skill floors and high skill caps like sniping. With enough weight and numbers, they don't need to close or flank, but instead set up the counter-rotation firing line and win 90% of the game from 500+ meters away. Often a flank will complicate this plan, and divas among the high-skill group will scream at the team. Some players internalize this and conclude "all flanking is bad," and you get players carping about "NASCAR" before the match even starts. They don't realize that the *other* team advanced on them by going around an obstacle that necessitated a flank and proceeded to chase them...you know, NASCAR. It's possible to arrange a defense line but difficult once flanked for reasons worked out by military history. That's why teams often try to be the first to roll up the other one into a retreating column. Incidentally I think that's why HPG is such a favorite: teams can win by either holding high ground with better fire or constantly flanking a disorganized team that's actually "stuck" on top.

Anyway! Good thread.

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

Good players usually know where they need to be and when they need to be there; a lot of the game comes down to a reflexive kind of "gamesense." Communication can help but it's not actually all that necessary provided that people know what they're doing.

The advantage of premade groups would therefore not be communication, IMO, but from being able to guarantee that a certain number of players on your team are actually competent. In the days when the pug queue was kept pure, it was basically a total roll of the dice as to whether or not the other people on the blue team knew how to press R. You had to work with the cards you were dealt at random; you didn't get to pick your cards. Sometimes you had the blessings of the RNG gods, other times you did not. It was fair in a weird RNGesus kind of way.

Premades can reduce randomness in the MM while pugs still have to deal with full randomness. This is what causes the sense of unfairness.

Edited by FupDup, 17 January 2021 - 02:37 PM.

#14 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:35 PM

There are so many reasons stomps happen, still surprised people miss some of them.

Meantime enjoy the theme song of the stomp.

Steppin' out the weekends open wide
Fill it up, let's blast the jams and die
While we're cruisin' around in the street
Listen up for the party
Slap me five that's the place we've arrived, it's alive

Ev'rybody take it to the top
We're gonna stomp all night in the neighborhood
Don't it feel alright
Gonna stomp all night
Wanna party till the morning light

Runnin', runnin', runnin'
The set is hot, there's people wall to wall
Old ones, young things short ones standing tall

So grab the one with the smile on her face
And hit the floor and stay right on the case
The heat is on and the funk just won't leave us alone

Ev'rybody take it to the top
We're gonna stomp all night in the neighborhood
Don't it feel all right
Gonna stomp all night

Gonna stomp all night in the neighborhood
Don't it feel all right
Gonna stomp all night
Stomp!

Stomp, step down in it
Put your foot where you feel the fit
Stomp, you don't want to quit
Put your heels where you're feeling it

Don't it feel all right
Gonna stomp all night
Stomp!

Don't it feel all right
Gonna stomp all night
Stomp!

Don't it feel all right
Gonna stomp all night
Stomp!

Stomp, step down in it

Stomp, step down in it

Stomp, step down in it

Stomp, step down in it

Edited by Wildstreak, 17 January 2021 - 08:41 PM.

#15 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:36 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 16 January 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

Most stomps I see, from either side, come down to one team being super timid and often not firing their weapons.

I see that as a matchmaking issue
maybe you do too
I don't want to presume

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:26 PM

when you have DLCs/AFKs,Leroy Jenkins, Tunnelview K/D players/stop in each small place for Fight Player,Team Shild Dealers or arctic Wolfs with only a Single UAC2 in Team ...you lost

#17 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

I have noticed a strong trend of an over-enthusiastic drop caller demanding pushes and losing very badly.

Typically, only a couple mechs listen. Then as rage calling continues and gets louder, others start to trickle in, but the original mechs who listened are already dead or neutered, so the next group gets wrecked, and then the rest of the team gets wrecked.

Typically, when my team does the stomping, there is no such drop calling, the team organically goes from the early trade phase to push phase, and it just works.

Moral of the story, stop yelling at people for the duration of the match. It doesn't help.

#18 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:38 PM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 18 January 2021 - 08:36 PM, said:

I see that as a matchmaking issue maybe you do too I don't want to presume

Not firing their weapons is often a skill or positioning issue, so that could be partly a match making issue. But the larger issue of aggression vs timidity is not. The problem is that sometimes players are aggressive, and sometimes timid. And knowing what to do when is a big part of the game. But even players who do have a good grasp on what their team ought to be doing, often will not be able to because the rest of their team isn't doing it.

For example, I'm sure all of us have been in situations where we think "If our team pushes right now, we'll win easily. If we hold, we'll lose." And yet you do not push, because you know that if you push and your team doesn't, you'll die and the team will still lose. The ideal outcome is you all push, but without confidence that this can be coordinated, the second best option is to get some more dmg in so your score isn't as bad when you lose. Its a classic Prisoner's Dilemma situation.

Success can come in several ways: If your team is blindly aggressive, and you happen to be in a situation where aggression wins, then you win. If not, you lose. Likewise if your team is blindly timid. Ideally, your whole team is good at reading the situation and also reading the rest of the team, and you all sort of intuitively do the right thing. Higher skilled players are of course better at this, and enough of them on a team can cause the team to be generally doing the optimal thing.

But in general in a quick play match, you're going to have some people being blindly aggressive and some blindly timid, and others trying to read the situation and then doing what they think is optimal for them to get a decent score in the end (of course, this assumes players who have any strategic awareness in the first place). I've seen a lot of games be slow, controlled losses that could have been easy wins with better communication and leadership.

But why don't people communicate or lead more? Because they know that a lot of the time, it's not worth it. Good players don't need to be told, and weak players won't listen even if told. And as the leader trying to make calls, you're not going to have complete certainty that your plan will work or be the right one. So even if, on average, you are a good leader, you'll have enough embarrassing failures that you'll stop bothering and just deal more dmg in a losing match instead of putting yourself out there. Which of course means that those who DO continuously put themselves out there tend to be the ones who will do it blindly, even if they aren't successful leaders. (We've all seen plenty of that.)

So overall, the whole situation is a giant mess of Catch-22's and coordination problems, not a matchmaker issue, although matchmaking helps a bit because more experienced/high skill players won't have these problems as badly. But they never go away, as they are a symptom of a game with some strategic nuance (as opposed to others games where it's always good to be maximum aggro), + pickup groups.

In general, if everyone tended to more aggressive play a bit more that'd be good. More games are lost to lack of aggression on a team level than to being too aggressive. But then, the catch-22 is that many games are lost to too much aggression on an individual level. So who's going to push first?

There's no real solution to all this. But it would help if we could see other people's loadouts, because then that would help a bit in guessing what that other player is going to try to do. If you know you're looking at a brawler, you can probably assume they are gonna go brawl, and then you can work around that. And if you know a sniper loadout is going into brawler range, you can safely figure that they aren't worth risking yourself to save, etc.

Edited by Heavy Money, 19 January 2021 - 02:40 PM.

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 19 January 2021 - 02:38 PM, said:

There's no real solution to all this. But it would help if we could see other people's loadouts, because then that would help a bit in guessing what that other player is going to try to do. If you know you're looking at a brawler, you can probably assume they are gonna go brawl, and then you can work around that. And if you know a sniper loadout is going into brawler range, you can safely figure that they aren't worth risking yourself to save, etc.

I have no idea why PGI thought it was alright to know more information about the enemy team than my own teammates. If you know your team is full of lurmboats you can at least not try to push and do more spotting. Many times I was shocked to see a mech that's usually for brawling/trading boating less weapons than smaller mechs or having too many weapons than it can fire due to heat limitations. When I'm playing a Kitfox I'm usually disappointed when I find out I'm following an LRM Atlas or something. I could've been elsewhere with a mech on the frontline that needs ECM and AMS.

#20 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

Agreed.

Not being able to see loadouts is easily the single biggest impediment to effective coordinated strategies in PUG QP imo.

I successfully called drops in comp games for years. But for that reason alone, I'm not going to try to lead any PUG team anywhere. I know that I don't have the information to make the right decisions for 11 other players. I may see an Atlas and assume that it's a brawler but there's no guarantee that someone didn't just load the thing up with LRMs. Asking one of those to push is taking a trash build and making it even less effective.

The ideal scenario imo is to use comms to present information to the rest of the team and empower them to make the right decision for their build. So long as every player on the board pulls their weight, a win will come naturally.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 19 January 2021 - 03:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users