Why Cant You Opt Out Of Maps?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Swamp Monster

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

It cant be that hard to implement a system to opt out of maps.
You could chose to not play the maps you yourself dislike.
Would that not keep more ppl playing?
I meen theyr quitting now cos they are forced to play nascar on ****** maps.
Why cant you opt out of specific maps?

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

Totally, I only want to play nascar on non-****** maps.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:08 AM

View PostSwamp Monster, on 16 January 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

You could chose to not play the maps you yourself dislike.
Would that not keep more ppl playing?
I meen theyr quitting now cos they are forced to play nascar on ****** maps.
Why cant you opt out of specific maps?

You mean that somebody would prepare his 'Mech to perform excellently on just one map and then he would block all other maps?

And have you thought what it would do with the matchmaker?

#4 Swamp Monster

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:19 AM

Ill tell you what its doing to the game to not do anything.
Im quitting it.
Wich to you is irrelevant, but i represent a lot of ppl.
And you know as well as me, the game is dying do to badly designed maps that promote nascar.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

View PostSwamp Monster, on 16 January 2021 - 10:19 AM, said:

Ill tell you what its doing to the game to not do anything.
Im quitting it.
Wich to you is irrelevant, but i represent a lot of ppl.
And you know as well as me, the game is dying do to badly designed maps that promote nascar.

Can I have your stuff?

#6 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

You can opt out of any map. Just walk behind the red line for eleven seconds on any map.

#7 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

View Postmartian, on 16 January 2021 - 10:30 AM, said:

Can I have your stuff?

Damn it martian, you beat me to it!

#8 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:10 PM

View PostSwamp Monster, on 16 January 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

It's called voting.

If you really don't want to play certain maps vote smart. When there's 4 options you're ok with vote for the least played one to try and build your multiplier. When a map comes up that you really don't want to play on dump your multiplier into the most popular map that's not the offender.

If the map still comes up just accept that your opinion isn't the most popular.

#9 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:25 PM

View Postmartian, on 16 January 2021 - 10:08 AM, said:

You mean that somebody would prepare his 'Mech to perform excellently on just one map and then he would block all other maps?

And have you thought what it would do with the matchmaker?

The only thing that would give matchmaker more fits would be if you introduced new 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 brackets but then busted each bracket up into 7 different queues...

and then instead of merging all 7 of the 2 vs 2 queues into 1 que to let the "I just wanna play with my buddy" crowd have their very own, tailor made game mode, you delete the solo drop game mode altogether, yeah, that should really f*ck over the match maker and the casual solos all in 1 change...

Edited by Knight Captain Morgan, 17 January 2021 - 03:30 PM.

#10 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

I'm waiting for someone to explain how that'd work with the whole voting system we've got.

#11 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:48 PM

A better subject might be asking for a change to map voting.

The whole Vote Multiplier is silly and a good debate could be found asking instead for a system where you vote for the map you do not want to play, the one with the lowest votes gets used.

#12 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:33 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 17 January 2021 - 07:48 PM, said:

A better subject might be asking for a change to map voting.

The whole Vote Multiplier is silly and a good debate could be found asking instead for a system where you vote for the map you do not want to play, the one with the lowest votes gets used.

This is a much better method than blocking maps outright. PGI could even change the vote so that players can vote positive or negative. Positive for a map they want to play or negative for a map they don't want to play. Formula would be something like:

vote integer = vote(+ or -) times multiplier

You still only get one vote. But this way you can vote for a map you REALLY want to play that is rare (Forest Colony) or vote against a map that is WAY overplayed (Canyon Network).

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:58 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 19 January 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

This is a much better method than blocking maps outright. PGI could even change the vote so that players can vote positive or negative. Positive for a map they want to play or negative for a map they don't want to play. Formula would be something like:

vote integer = vote(+ or -) times multiplier

You still only get one vote. But this way you can vote for a map you REALLY want to play that is rare (Forest Colony) or vote against a map that is WAY overplayed (Canyon Network).

Can't we just go back to random map/mode. It was simpler and saved the bickering.

#14 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:50 AM

Op me out of the people that choose Solaris City (because the problem is not the map but the people who pick that one) and life will be better for all of us. Posted Image

#15 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:36 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 19 January 2021 - 08:58 AM, said:

Can't we just go back to random map/mode. It was simpler and saved the bickering.

I'd be fine with this too. I'm playing stompy robots. I don't much mind where or how!

#16 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:44 AM

The map unpredictability intentionally prevents you from knowing that your mech will always have the map that perfectly matches your range/heat capability.

It's a good thing for the game IMO. If you knew you could block Solaris city would the player base as a whole take more LRM mechs? If you knew Polar Highlands was off the list would we see more SRM/machine gun type builds?

Forced uncertainty on the map choice means players are less likely to get the perfect map for their highly specialized mech build. It adds a risk reward choice to designing for a specific environment.

Map vote multiplier means if you are really determined to run your beloved specific map only mech you get at least an increasing chance to try and get select it, after multiple failures to get the one you wanted. In the grand scheme of things it's psychologically useful at least. You could certainly do it various other ways as well.

#17 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:47 AM

Playerbase isn't big enough for this.

I would be more interested in having a selection of 5-10 options of mechs at the ready to select after map is determined.

#18 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:11 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 19 January 2021 - 11:47 AM, said:

Playerbase isn't big enough for this.

I would be more interested in having a selection of 5-10 options of mechs at the ready to select after map is determined.

I disagree - Polar Highlands would be less fun if everyone had the choice to take missiles, ER PPCs and RACs on the map.

The fights would be much more predictable then they already are - Solaris would be all SRMs and UAC/LBX20 builds

Some people would like that assurance that they can always pick the perfect mech for the situation - but the gameplay would look a lot more static and predictable.

#19 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:56 PM

View PostGARION26, on 19 January 2021 - 12:11 PM, said:

I disagree - Polar Highlands would be less fun if everyone had the choice to take missiles, ER PPCs and RACs on the map.

The fights would be much more predictable then they already are - Solaris would be all SRMs and UAC/LBX20 builds

Some people would like that assurance that they can always pick the perfect mech for the situation - but the gameplay would look a lot more static and predictable.

I disagree. Because if I am in a big slow brawl build on polar highlands, and the other team has a Narcer and LRM boats, Polar Highlands is exactly 0 fun.

And if I am in an ERLL, or sniping/low DPS mech, I don't want to play on Solaris City.

The only "con" of the choice of mech, is that certain players want to be able to catch people at a disadvantage, rather than everyone being given the opportunity to not have a match full of frustration.

#20 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:09 PM

I don't suffer the problem of dropping on maps bad for my build because I tend to use weapons with 400+ optimal range (and plenty of heatsinks), thus they work everywhere equally (give or take).

Personally I'd only opt out of maps because they're just crap in terms of design/play (like Mordor), not because of range or heat or other build-based factors. Le shrug.

Edited by FupDup, 19 January 2021 - 02:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users