Whelp. Nascar Killed The Game For Me. Bye

154 replies to this topic

#1 Swamp Monster

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:22 AM

You know as well as me that nascar is killing this game.
Badly designed maps that promote nascar, is killing this game.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

View PostSwamp Monster, on 16 January 2021 - 10:22 AM, said:

You know as well as me that nascar is killing this game.
Badly designed maps that promote nascar, is killing this game.

Nascar has been a part of the game since the very beginning.

#3 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:32 AM

maps that have no nascar features still end up with nascar, its not the maps, its the players I'm afraid

#4 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:42 AM

At least give us back these:

1. Reinstate Assault/Heavy running into Light mech *will* damage them.
Lights are abusing this by leg hugging with no consequences (also see point 2 below).

2. Also reinstate/increase the torso pitch for Assault mechs especially; cannot see their toes!
eg: Pilot an Annihilator and try to see a Piranha at your feet !

3. Above (1) and (2) were nerfed to give Light mechs more commercial (read: sales) value.
***But it is the Assault/Heavy which sells for much more, contribute much more to MWO/PGI's revenue.

#5 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:56 AM

View Postw0qj, on 16 January 2021 - 10:42 AM, said:

At least give us back these:

1. Reinstate Assault/Heavy running into Light mech *will* damage them.
Lights are abusing this by leg hugging with no consequences (also see point 2 below).

2. Also reinstate/increase the torso pitch for Assault mechs especially; cannot see their toes!
eg: Pilot an Annihilator and try to see a Piranha at your feet !

3. Above (1) and (2) were nerfed to give Light mechs more commercial (read: sales) value.
***But it is the Assault/Heavy which sells for much more, contribute much more to MWO/PGI's revenue.

yes, yes, lets make the weakest class in the game even weaker

#6 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:03 AM

But mechs do get damaged when they get run into by something heavier enough. I know that because ******* are constantly damaging me because they can't manage/both to steer around things.

#7 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:08 AM

There are ways to make NASCAR less likely and yes improved map design is one thing. Changes to game modes that change player incentives to not want to NASCAR ect. I don't think you can completely ever remove it from the game. It's just a byproduct of mechs moving different speeds combined with people wanting to move to get shots or moving to avoid being shot. But they could do things to make it less likely yes or less common.

Edited by SirSmokes, 17 January 2021 - 04:09 AM.

#8 -6IX-

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBeersville, New Brunswick, Canada.

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:36 AM

The players Nascar not the game mechanics

Also I 100% support and wish that they would bring back crash and knockdown again.

Edited by -6IX-, 17 January 2021 - 04:39 AM.

#9 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 January 2021 - 10:56 AM, said:

Haha nice Joke.. Mediums are by far weaker.

#10 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:12 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 January 2021 - 10:56 AM, said:

Actually, Lights are far from the weakest class, with hardpoints allowing more damage output than many Medium or Heavy Mechs, faster and more agile because of the engine desync and leg humping below los or weapon arc. Certain Lights still operate in god mode (Urbies :) ) because of minimal hit boxes. What it comes down to is the use (or abuse) of PGI's in game physics by players - and that's a simple fact of using the system to your own advantage, not cheating, but in the long run, becomes damaging to the game experience of others.

Again, it comes down to how players interact with the system and how desperate they are to ruin someone else's enjoyment to satisfy their own. This was reflected in FW/CW (and still is) where higher tier groups got their kicks from 100% hunting down lower tiers and new starters to farm CBills and LP, even when it was possible to win by objective; it wasn't the fault of the system, but of the players (then they moaned that there were not enough people to drop against because they were driven out of the mode - now we just seem to have QP and it is the same again - driving people away after the Xmas numbers boost and COVID lockdowns do doubt).

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:14 AM

I know the nascar is pretty bad in the new comp group queue, but have you tried QP? There's nowhere near as much nascarring in QP as there is in the comp group queue.

#12 AnimePops

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:34 AM

NASCAR is not ruining anything. It is natural. You have a game with cover mechanics. Anytime you have one force push the other, it is only natural and tactical to backup around the cover. This creates the movement of both forces. Often it is not knowing how to counter a good push and lack of coordination that ends up in a disaster. 1. Mistake is leaving your assualts behind and not moving as a single force, and 2, Not turning around to meet the incoming force. It's not that it happens thats bad, its not knowing how to deal with it.

#13 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:35 AM

View PostSamial, on 17 January 2021 - 04:57 AM, said:

Haha nice Joke.. Mediums are by far weaker.

How can mediums be by far weaker when the Vulcan is a better light than lights?

#14 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:33 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 January 2021 - 10:30 AM, said:

Nascar has been a part of the game since the very beginning.

Nope. When in Beta. everyone was doing their own things.

#15 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:51 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 17 January 2021 - 07:42 AM, said:

My VGLs, ACW and ASN would like a word with you.
Also I hear there's a group of Vulcans that like to talk to you as well.

Light mechs can be some of nastiest especially the ones that can take stealth armor. Problem with lights is you have to know how to pilot them well to make the most of them and make them really shine. All those med mechs are much more user friendly mechs and you get punished much more harshly when you make a mistake piloting a light. Dear god a really good light pilot in the right mech can SUPER DUPER pain in the A S S..

Edited by SirSmokes, 17 January 2021 - 09:04 AM.

#16 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

It's definitely not the game or the map's fault.

The average pug team usually doesnt want to engage anything directly. You can see that dynamic very clearly on maps such as hpg, mining, canyon, forest colony.....you name it. Most pug players, even many of the groups I see within QP, avoid trying to take advantageous positions if those positions mean they might have to directly engage team red. Instead, 8 out of 10 players start to halt, to look around confused, to look behind them and to their sides in search of a leader they can follow to then just stream directly into a nascar formation, just circling around team red. Rarely every engaging them directly.

The perfect analogy would be the friendzone most guys find themselves in dwl. 9,5 out of 10 guys do not want to 'engage' directly because they are scared and then just hover around those girls as their 'good friends' when in truth they have a very different agenda.

Ppl are just scared. That is why there is so much nascar. That is the only reason. Complaining about it is as if you would complain about human nature. Most ppl are scared = they nascar.

That's not the whole equation of course. Some mechs and builds are very good at flanking and attacking team reds stretched nascar train. And again, as most men are followers and not leaders, they will immediately follow those fast lights and mediums that are flanking. What started out as a flank for those fast skirmishers, turns into a full fledged team movement as most players (see above) do not wish to engage directly.

As formidable as mining's center is, especially in skirmish and assault (but also in any other game mode), the vast majority of players will do the following:

They run up to the first littel ramp on their side....then they stop, turn around, stand still....and do nothing. Giving away very precious seconds that team red can and will exploit very often. Team red then has an excellent position relative to your teams now commending, standard procedure of simply running around the center platform. So it is weird to complain that the maps or that mwo promotes nascar. That's just not true. It is indecisive, scared, no-risk-mentality players that are scared even in a friggn game. I mean, if youre scared to die in a friggin game then there are some issues. Then those issues have issues.

Yesterday there was a skirmish match on grim plexus. I had a double gauss ppc build and went to that hill behind which one of the bases in assault is located. It was skirmish though. Team red has no reached the platform which is often the center of nascar. I wanted to avoid nascar and I knew ppl simply follow so I just went there immediately, and abrakadabra, evybody followed. What I did not aniticpate was that my team did not take the friggin hill that I had already reached. They ran around it and then stopped on the far side, behind the hill, almost where the base in assault is located. It was just my mech and another medium or so on the hill while the entirety of team red commenced their march on our hill. And my team was friggin hiding.

I said 'the **** you doing take the hill why do you hide'.

Naturally, we got complelty annihilated as my team was just too scared.

In my opinion to scared to ever perform well even in a video game.

Im unsure why espeically men, modern men are scared on such a level which is just weird beyond all reason.

So my question....what the hell are you scared of so much? I mean, we all gotta die eventually but in the name of anything that is good or bad, holy or unholy, just relax and at least show an ounce of virtual balls for one godless second.

But it is hilarious to then shift the blame to the developer or the maps.

That is just hilarious hahaha. Thats some funny ****.

#17 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:08 AM

View PostLowSubmarino, on 17 January 2021 - 08:55 AM, said:

It's definitely not the game or the map's fault.

The average pug team usually doesnt want to engage anything directly. You can see that dynamic very clearly on maps such as hpg, mining, canyon, forest colony.....you name it. Most pug players, even many of the groups I see within QP, avoid trying to take advantageous positions if those positions mean they might have to directly engage team red. Instead, 8 out of 10 players start to halt, to look around confused, to look behind them and to their sides in search of a leader they can follow to then just stream directly into a nascar formation, just circling around team red. Rarely every engaging them directly.

The perfect analogy would be the friendzone most guys find themselves in dwl. 9,5 out of 10 guys do not want to 'engage' directly because they are scared and then just hover around those girls as their 'good friends' when in truth they have a very different agenda.

Ppl are just scared. That is why there is so much nascar. That is the only reason. Complaining about it is as if you would complain about human nature. Most ppl are scared = they nascar.

That's not the whole equation of course. Some mechs and builds are very good at flanking and attacking team reds stretched nascar train. And again, as most men are followers and not leaders, they will immediately follow those fast lights and mediums that are flanking. What started out as a flank for those fast skirmishers, turns into a full fledged team movement as most players (see above) do not wish to engage directly.

As formidable as mining's center is, especially in skirmish and assault (but also in any other game mode), the vast majority of players will do the following:

They run up to the first littel ramp on their side....then they stop, turn around, stand still....and do nothing. Giving away very precious seconds that team red can and will exploit very often. Team red then has an excellent position relative to your teams now commending, standard procedure of simply running around the center platform. So it is weird to complain that the maps or that mwo promotes nascar. That's just not true. It is indecisive, scared, no-risk-mentality players that are scared even in a friggn game. I mean, if youre scared to die in a friggin game then there are some issues. Then those issues have issues.

Yesterday there was a skirmish match on grim plexus. I had a double gauss ppc build and went to that hill behind which one of the bases in assault is located. It was skirmish though. Team red has no reached the platform which is often the center of nascar. I wanted to avoid nascar and I knew ppl simply follow so I just went there immediately, and abrakadabra, evybody followed. What I did not aniticpate was that my team did not take the friggin hill that I had already reached. They ran around it and then stopped on the far side, behind the hill, almost where the base in assault is located. It was just my mech and another medium or so on the hill while the entirety of team red commenced their march on our hill. And my team was friggin hiding.

I said 'the **** you doing take the hill why do you hide'.

Naturally, we got complelty annihilated as my team was just too scared.

In my opinion to scared to ever perform well even in a video game.

Im unsure why espeically men, modern men are scared on such a level which is just weird beyond all reason.

So my question....what the hell are you scared of so much? I mean, we all gotta die eventually but in the name of anything that is good or bad, holy or unholy, just relax and at least show an ounce of virtual balls for one godless second.

But it is hilarious to then shift the blame to the developer or the maps.

That is just hilarious hahaha. Thats some funny ****.

Some maps are definitely are more likely to devolve in the NASCAR then others like say Canyon Network

Edited by SirSmokes, 17 January 2021 - 09:08 AM.

#18 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:13 AM

No one cares? Bye.

#19 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:19 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 17 January 2021 - 09:13 AM, said:

No one cares? Bye.

?This is obviously untrue proven by existence of this post LOL

#20 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 17 January 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

Nope. When in Beta. everyone was doing their own things.

And that running around the central rock on the original Forest Colony was what?

Or slightly later, the maps like the original Caustic ... The only tactics used was both teams nascaring around the edge of the caldera, attempting to catch any enemy 'Mech slow enough to be left behind, while always prepared to Lurm any enemy 'Mech foolish enough to peek above the caldera edge.

View PostLowSubmarino, on 17 January 2021 - 08:55 AM, said:

Pretty much my experience, especially when I am in some fast light 'Mech like Flea or Spider. I move forward (and slightly sideways) to flank and get behind the enemy team, and twenty seconds later I can see on the minimap how the rest of the team is attempting to follow me: Fast Medium and Heavy 'Mechs first, Annihilators and Fafnirs last - all of them stretched in a kilometer long line - without any hope of being able to keep the pace with my 'Mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users