Should Spots Be Reserved For Solo Players In The Queue?

63 replies to this topic

Poll: Should spots be reserved for solo players in the queue? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Should spots be reserved for solo players in the queue?

1. Yes! Four spots (11 votes [28.95%])

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

2. Yes, but only two. (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

3. No! (24 votes [63.16%])

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Absaint

• PipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

Waiting in line to get passed over is a royal pain in the bottom.

And this game mode is struggling to survive and needs more players, even green ones as they can be trained.

Reserving 4 spots in the queue would at least guarantee you could potentially be in a game eventually, instead of waiting forever. Or at least 2 spots would already help.

Opinions?

Edit:
The sugestion is to continue with 12v12, but limit group spots to 10 players (leaving two guaranteed PUGs), or to 8 players (leaving 4 guaranteed PUGs).

Edited by Absaint, 18 January 2021 - 06:26 AM.

#2 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:46 PM

While I understand what you are asking, I think limiting the teams by putting in such a restriction may not work as it means that that last lance could not be taken by a small group. If I'm understanding your suggestion properly.
Limiting groups to 4 might help with rotating players a bit more, but ultimately I believe the best option is more flexibility in the match maker by allowing smaller teams for the drops.

In the scenario that there might be 16 players on both sides of a conflict and that consisted of a 12 player team and 4 solo players on both sides, the 4 solos are always going to miss out.
Limiting the groups to a max of 4 should mean that the players rotate through with each drop but this is still not great as it means that 4 players on both sides are waiting 30min or so each time.
However, if the match maker had the flexibility to scale the teams up and down according to the number of players ready and build teams by the lance structure then everyone gets to play more.
eg:
With that 16 players on each side scenario, if all players were ready then you would see 1 game of 12v12 kick off and 1 game of 4v4.
Next time around, perhaps there is only 8 players ready on one side, 12 on the other, then at least a game of 8v8 can kick off and hopefully another 4 ready up so a game of 4v4 or larger can kick off without much waiting.

We could have different missions and maps for the different sized teams as well.
ie. Scouting and Skirmish would work easily as a 4v4. Conquest is pretty good in both the extended 12 player multi drop setup but also in 8 player single drop.

Few other advantages from building a flexible team size into the match maker.
The biggest point however is getting players into games as often as possible, we should not be so hung up on having to have 12 players on each team.

#3 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

I'm really conflicted on this. On one end I get that solo players have a really hard time getting into FP drops. On the other this initially came to be because everyone was complaining that groups were often fighting solos, under the current system group vs group drops happen more often, and the matchmaker itself encourages people to group up, which should be the way for FP, but it essentially happens at the expense of not letting solo players in. So I don't know.

I'd rather see the ability to be a real mercenary player, so the MM would just automatically throw you/your group to whatever side requires players to make a drop

#4 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:05 PM

FP is still mostly group vs pug team.

#5 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:54 PM

View PostPriests and Cannibals, on 17 January 2021 - 05:05 PM, said:

FP is still mostly group vs pug team.

if that were actually true you wouldn't have all this complaining from solo players that they can't get into FP drops because groups are bypassing them in que

there are still stomps that happen because the skill difference between groups can be massive

#6 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:09 PM

Its mostly groups vs pugs when I play solo and manage to get into a drop.

#7 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:30 PM

I don't think so. I have no problem with players being encouraged to group up in a game made that is described by PGI as "[color=#00FFFF] Faction Play will continue to be the playground of organized large group combat".[/color]

#8 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:37 PM

View PostPriests and Cannibals, on 17 January 2021 - 07:09 PM, said:

Its mostly groups vs pugs when I play solo and manage to get into a drop.

well yeah, if you drop solo you will mostly encounter groups, when you drop in a group you will also mostly encounter groups, though the skill difference between various groups is vast, the matchmaker literally tries to force groups to fight each other. If there are a lot of solos on your team and you're facing a group that means there weren't enough groups on your side of the conflict for you to not get a drop at all.

#9 Absaint

• PipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:54 AM

I am sorry I was not clear, I´ll clarify the sugestion and update the first post.

The sugestion is to continue with 12v12, but limit group spots to 10 players (leaving two guaranteed PUGs), or to 8 players (leaving 4 guaranteed PUGs).

The soul of FP is group play and I personally enjoy learning from veterans and groups. So its not about killing organized teams, But more giving a bit of space to PUGs to learn.

Event the 2 spots would do wonders i think.

Edited by Absaint, 18 January 2021 - 02:57 AM.

#10 Papa Varken

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:24 AM

As far as I understand or would expect this suggestion to work, 2 or 4 spots are held open for solo players, to avoid the pita and discouraging situation of seeing groups pass by without waiting; pre made groups would be up to 8 strong. If there were no solo players, there would be a pick from to 2 or 4 player groups to fill the drop. At worst then, the 12 man splits to an 8/4 or 10/2 with the likelihood of picking up solos (refuse to call them pugs because there are many players who due to time restraints are experienced and capable, but drop solo). If there are no solos, then the MM will pick up the next appropriate group size, i.e. the balance of the 12 man.

With semi-decent coding that should work. The fact that MM changes last year or the year before should have been doing something similar, in the the solo/pairs etc. ought to have taken precedence from the next drop queue if bumped from the current one.

#11 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:55 AM

I voted no, even as a "pug" that has gotten passed in the que numerous times. The reason is, in my opinion, dropping as a 12 man, should be rewarded. Especially if that said 12 man is a unit, and not a bunch of pugs in a 12 man premade. Not only is getting into a decent unit rough, staying in said unit can be a pain in the *** too! So, yeah, this is my thought in the matter.

#12 The Jewce Iz Loose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:58 AM

Tons of units out there, on discord, that group up and will take on players, U4L,GNX, SNGT, BTDN, strike up a conversation and get an invite, learn the ropes. Helps tons to have a mic, even if its bad english...we salute you for trying

#13 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:52 PM

Well, I thought a bit on this, and came to a conclusion that it is not a bad idea after all. As (mostly) a solo player, I know how painful it is to have your seat taken by some group and to play against a full 12 team.
But I think 4 players is an overkill, there are few solo players that are constantly dropping without a group. So my answer is 2. (I think that 3 is a better choice though)
Of course those 2 players, that didn't fit in a group and had to joint queue as solo players still might get into the drop, but it's unlikely.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 19 January 2021 - 10:56 AM.

#14 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:38 AM

There's never a perfect solution. I play solo myself and I avoid FP simply because the queue time is a waste of time compared to just doing QP games.

I'm fine if most of the FP players just want to 12v12 and endure the wait times. Unless the queue times improve though, I'll just stay away from it like Solaris.

#15 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

View PostElizander, on 19 January 2021 - 05:38 AM, said:

There's never a perfect solution. I play solo myself and I avoid FP simply because the queue time is a waste of time compared to just doing QP games.

I'm fine if most of the FP players just want to 12v12 and endure the wait times. Unless the queue times improve though, I'll just stay away from it like Solaris.

Why not get in touch with active groups? Rly i dont understand why so many mwo players stick to solo in a mp title. U dont even need to join a unit. Just don't be the special snowflake and u will get in teams asap.

On topic. Biiiiiig no. Mm time will go up and quality will decrease. If u want to learn from the groups get in touch with the groups.

#16 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

I'm fine with max 10 mans. I usually drop in groups of 3-6 or solo and wait time is pretty minimal depending on the time of day. If you have 2 10 man teams in queue you will get a couple solos to join in very quickly and it won't affect waiting time.

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:44 PM

I think leave it as is, so 12 man groups can exist and play as 12 wo/men

but I think if 12 soloes are available on each side to make a totally solo match without groups then that should happen

So groups get priority but if theirs enough soloes for a solo only match then the soloes get priority

So if theirs enough interest from soloes they can have a better experience with less waste times waiting for a game and less skillgap during the match,
Its matchmakerish even, by reducing skillgap solo/solo compared to Clubber vs Seals

This way you have 3 types of games
Groups vs Groups
Groups with Solo Fill-ins vs Groups with Solo Fill-ins
Solo vs Solo (1st Prioritized when enough solo available)

Could make CW more popular I reckon

The current system prioritizes groups so groups play other groups which is good as far as groups and the games health is concerned.

Adding the "if enough solo make solo only match", has benefits for soloes and overall participation in CW

This could increase the solo participation in CW, which could have a flow on effect increasing group membership to a degree due to the larger interest in CW from an increased Solo player pool

#18 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:10 PM

You dont play FP Solo.

#19 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:21 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 19 January 2021 - 09:44 PM, said:

I hate people who have friends and group up in this team game and want to make their experience more miserable in the game mode specifically designed for groups

Go get clubbed by nascaring 4mans and club poor tier 5s staring at you with puppy eyes in qp

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:21 AM

View PostPriests and Cannibals, on 19 January 2021 - 11:10 PM, said:

You dont play FP Solo.

What of it

I played heaps back when CW was actually populated playing other strong teams and am retired
So I'm qualified to spack

I am no seal clubber training wheels firing line guy

But face it CW has hardly changed, maps are the same, just new strats for conquest and domination
, but this thread ain't about them
Is it?

So whats your point about the topic? or just useless throwaway negging

My point was NO, spots should not be reserved for soloes

But just like groups get prioritized so should soloes when solo numbers allow

a bloody good point mate

Edited by General Solo, 20 January 2021 - 03:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users