#1 ApheX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 154 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:42 AM

Hello Mechwarriors,

It's been a few years since I've played MWO and I thought after such a long break that I'd rejoin. My skills have gone right out the window and the skill tree is kinda new to me, So i'm looking to get some help/advice on how I cam improve.

I normally run a Shadow Cat Prime with 2 ER-PPC's and ECM and a mix of other IS and Clan Heavy's. Seems NASCAR is a thing now on maps which gave a me a quick lesson in death counts.

I've been using the academy to help me out but some real pilot advice would be welcome. Maybe a unit would be nice enough to take on an old Merc?

#2 Dozer6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 139 posts
  • LocationStripping lasers off my Archer to fit 4 more tons of LRM'S

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:01 AM

Well my friend i can tell you this, i just started playing about a week ago and love the game.
Stay with your lance and stay with the group, don't go all yolo cowboy.
Hope for the best but expect the worst.
Keep your eyes peeled for the lights that are coming behind you, they are there...

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

Learning how the players from both teams move is a big part of the game, so you'll be better off sticking with the team and watching the mini-map often until you get a better feel of when the enemy is going to be where. You won't be able to solo snipe with your PPC Shadowcat if you don't know general player movement on each map/mode.

Go pick a heavy with decent range and alpha so you can focus on learning how things go in each match. There are some spawn points where you are pretty much screwed over if you're in a slow mech so learning those is important too.

#4 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:25 PM

looking for group is a great tool you will find the game plays a lot better when you can get into a good group of 4.

#5 Pyrometheus

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:14 AM

Another player who's been gone a long time and looking at coming back. I can see I have me getting to know the revamped skill trees, and am working on that.

What I am wondering the most is which, if any, of my old mechs are no obsolete at this point?

LIGHT
JR7-D(F)
JR7-D(S)
JR7-F
JR7-K
LCT-1V(P)
LCT-3M
LCT-3S

MEDIUM
CN9-A( C )
CN9-AH(L)
CDA-3M
GRF-1N(P)
GRF-1S
GRF-3M
HBK-4G(F)
SHD-2D2
SHD-2H(P)
SHD-5M
TBT-LG
TBT-3C
TBT-7M
WVR-6K
WVR-6R(P)
WVR-7K

HEAVY
CTF-2X
CTF-3D
CTF-1M
CPLT-C1(F)
DRG-FANG
DRG-FLAME
DRG-1N
JMG-FB
TDR-5S(P)
TDR-5SS
TDR-9S
TDR-9SE

ASSAULT
AS7-D(F)
AS7-S(L)
AS7-D-DC
BLR-1D
BLR-1G(P)
BLR-1S
KGC-000(L)

My best results 'back in the day' were in the CTF-1M and TBT-7M. Though, at best I was pretty below average, as borne out by my stats :P

Since I'm basically re-learning everything again, I thought I'd solicit feedback on which might be the best choice(s) for getting back into the game?

#6 El Maestro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 464 posts
  • LocationVleuten, Netherlands

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:50 AM

hello friends,

Welcome back!!

@pyrometheus,

You still have some viable mechs! The Trebby 7M is still very good. (speed, torso twist, JJ,). Look into MRM weapons. The BLR-1G is also a very solid laser boat. The Cata-IM is still very solid. Its drawback in current meta is speed.

@Aphex (and others) .. send me a friend invite ingame if you are looking for a unit to learn from. We run bootcamp on saturdays to train stuff. We are the Phoenix Dominion with ingame tag [PhD].

Greetings
El Maestro

#7 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

View PostPyrometheus, on 24 January 2021 - 11:14 AM, said:

My opinion:

Yep, plenty of your Mechs still work fine. IS lights...I shun. Locust 1V is good in the right hands (1 LPL, though the cycle time boost was reduced from 50% to 30% some time ago).

Wolverines and Griffins are best with MRMs (30+20), the Shadow Hawk 2H is great with 3 RAC/2s (facetime, mind you, but given the right time and spot, it melts faces), The CND-AH is quite fine with AC/20 and 3 SRM2 or plain MRM (30+20).
Trebs..pretty much the same as Wolverines and Griffins. Some variants make for good SRM brawlers.

The Phracts are good depending on the situation - I run my 2X as a mini-Atlas and it dishes out pain. The Ilya Muromets is quite good - 2 ERML and 3 AC5/UAC5 can cause real pain - just mind the low hung weapons.
Catapults..yeah..not my cup of tea really. Not even a cup of anything are Dragons to me. Had some years back then, sold them, soon after, never missed them.
Thunderbolts are good-ish. The TDR-5S is used (by me) for long range poking (3 ERLL, 1 ERML in the arm), the 9SE is a nice MPL boat.

BLR-1G - laser boat: 4 ERML (richt side) and 3 LPL/ERLL on the left, all single heat sinks, is a beast (all weapons on cockpit level, less the arm mounted laser).
Atlas..not my thingy. Imho melts when looked at.
King Crab 000 - 6 AC2 - shreds.

As Maestro pointed out, speed is of the essence ("In real combat, speed is life"). So get used to riding XL engines - torso twisting.

#8 Pyrometheus

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

Thanks gents!

I'm reading up on MRM use and tactics - they, and RACs, didn't exist last I played.

Edited by Pyrometheus, 24 January 2021 - 01:49 PM.

#9 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

LCT-3M
Still good with 5ML and a large engine. Other lights are not great.

SHD-2D2
Lovely with LB10+4SRM4

SHD-2H(P)
Decent with 3RAC2

TBT-7M
Best LRM mech in the game

CTF-3D
Fun with UAC20+UAC10, but not great

CTF-Ilya Muromets
Decent with 3LB10, but easy to destroy

TDR-5SS
Decent with lots of MPL and one or two LPL

AS7-D(F)
Decent brawler with UAC20+MRM40+MRM20

BLR-1G(P)
Excellent sniper for Faction Play with 5ERLL and a TC. Quick Play doesn't give you opporunities to use the range.

Edited by Gagis, 24 January 2021 - 02:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users