Three Months

31 replies to this topic

#1 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:56 PM

So it has been from my recollection about three months since we were given the "News" that the game was going back under development. I watched this weeks announcement about upcoming updates and was extremely disappointed.

Maybe its just me but new map content is king. If you cannot do that people like myself will drift away. There really is only so many times I can play canyon network. I think I am over 3k plays on the map.

Its been well over 2 years since a new map was put into circulation.

Why are we hearing only minor updates to the game? Make the sun stop moving. Make the new player experience a little better.

I am sorry here but I am about played out on these maps. I would say take a poll and see how many new battles have happened recently. Canyon Network roll around C4, River City ring around the citadel, Polar I9 I can go on and on...

In short the game is getting really stale and the updates I heard do not make me think that I am going to be around for another year.

The PIR team is really not hearing us... new maps... and like a couple a month.. or you will continue to bleed players. I could be wrong and I hope for PIR that other players feel differently for your sakes but for me... No new maps = played out in the next few months and I will find something else to spend my time / money on and bid the community good luck and farewell.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

The game's been in hospice mode for a long time, that's why. The chances of any new content are quite slim. Enjoy it before they pull the plug, I guess.

#3 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:30 PM

in another 3 months they'll tell you when they will decide on when the decision will be made to brainstorm fruit hanging so low it's pretty much a potato that's in the ground

don't worry, keep playing

#4 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

I believe next month they will announce a big 1.3mb patch for March to start a new Solaris season.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:26 PM

I don't think that a new map is an option. I'd scratch that off the list.

Maybe they can set the spawn points in the far, unused corner of some maps so we'd fight in new places. That's about the best you can hope for.

#6 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 21 January 2021 - 02:00 PM, said:

I believe next month they will announce a big 1.3mb patch for March to start a new Solaris season.

That's like three whole years of work for pgi. Far too much for them to do this year for sure. Maybe 64kb patch at best. I'd spend money on mwo at some point but I keep waiting for the full sized commodore 64 to come to the us which is worth more than the most expensive $500 gold timber wolf collector pack to me. And I'm opting for two extra joysticks and buying a second C64 for my dad since it was our first pc. Now I must go listen to all the epyx ocean fast loader music.

#7 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:22 PM

Try out Faction Play. It's a much deeper, richer, generally better experience than quick play.

#8 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:43 PM

I'm just playing out my premium time. When that runs out, and there isn't anything new, then, well... I guess I'll go play total war or something stupid...

#9 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:58 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 21 January 2021 - 03:22 PM, said:

Try out Faction Play. It's a much deeper, richer, generally better experience than quick play.

Heh. Hehhehheh. Funny guy.

All the virgin taters that stayed safe in the shallow end of the pool have just gotten a taste of what it's like to get farmed by comp groups and from what I see in the forums, it hasn't been received by them very well. Especially when four T5s make a unit and group up, then find themselves in a T1 match where the other team has a T1 group (that's the other side of the "we got stuck with a T5 group" coin).

Do you really think they're going to voluntarily drop into an environment with no matchmaking whatsoever, including 12 man premades on the other side?

#10 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 21 January 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm just playing out my premium time. When that runs out, and there isn't anything new, then, well... I guess I'll go play total war or something stupid...

Brigador is interesting for Mechs, vehicles and even suits. I keep getting my butt handed to me in Campaign when I try the first suit available mission, gonna have to skip it. Discovering how things work is quite interesting as are the little extra things, makes me wonder if stuff like that could ever get into a future Mech title.

#11 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

Welp... Based on the lack of new maps coming out. I definitely will not spend another real dollar on the game. Seems to me if they dont want to spend money on content then I am not going to support them with money.. Sorry but content is king and if its not coming then no cha ching from me.

#12 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:07 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 21 January 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

Brigador is interesting for Mechs, vehicles and even suits. I keep getting my butt handed to me in Campaign when I try the first suit available mission, gonna have to skip it. Discovering how things work is quite interesting as are the little extra things, makes me wonder if stuff like that could ever get into a future Mech title.

+1 For Brigador

Probably the closest thing we'll get to Jungle Strike with mechs. Though I do seem to spend most of my time in the good ol' Buckler...

Only things I wish were mod support was more friendly and that missions objectives had a progression system i.e. Destroy the substation > Then Comms > Then Orbital Guns!

#13 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

League of Legends has had 1 map for ever now. I suspect maps may just be fluff, nice, but fluff.

#14 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:11 PM

I just wish they'd make maps random so the choice screen is gone and we play whatever we are given.. Honestly there are so many maps we never get to play how are you suppose to get good on them if you never play them.

View PostPalor, on 22 January 2021 - 02:21 PM, said:

League of Legends has had 1 map for ever now. I suspect maps may just be fluff, nice, but fluff.

Yeah but i don't play that toxic garbage..

Edited by Samial, 22 January 2021 - 06:12 PM.

#15 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:14 PM

The sudden buzz about development was not for players. It was to show EG7 that Russ is actively involved with this game.

New maps require programming. I don't even know if they have anyone left on staff who could program a new map.

Even if they do, it's not gonna happen because they'll be programming MW5 or Russ in Space or whatever the new title is.

The one thing they will prioritize is boosting the cadet bonus because that might mean more new players.

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

View PostPalor, on 22 January 2021 - 02:21 PM, said:

Another game like that was Team Fortress 2, which only launched with one map per mode yet no one complained about the game being stale at the time.

While more maps in MWO would be nice, I don't think the amount of payoff the devs would get would justify it. And the gameplay would just inevitably devolve into an established routine anyways.

Stuff like more guns, more robots, and/or buffed existing robots would be way easier to implement and would likely have a higher payoff (especially if actually good mechs are chosen for new additions, they might be able to partially or fully pay for themselves unlike maps which can't directly make up the money they cost).

Edited by FupDup, 22 January 2021 - 06:52 PM.

#17 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:06 PM

View PostSamial, on 22 January 2021 - 06:11 PM, said:

I just wish they'd make maps random so the choice screen is gone and we play whatever we are given.. Honestly there are so many maps we never get to play how are you suppose to get good on them if you never play them.

That was the original system but there were just too many people who would quit out of a match if they dropped into a map they didn't like, which of course screws over the rest of their team and throws the match. MWO's playerbase has always been pretty craptastic.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 22 January 2021 - 07:06 PM.

#18 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,412 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:52 PM

That sounds quite close to a major MWO expansion, enough to do a major recruitment campaign on GOG, Steam, Epic, etc.
Now, if only MWO has more MWO-modding talent in-house to make this happen...

To be fair, MWO did do a recent (failed) expansion as requested by some players, called "Solaris 7", and look what happened.
To much of "I win" and "You lose", leaving a bad feeling to a majority of players (along with bad win/loss stats), I guess.

View PostFupDup, on 22 January 2021 - 06:48 PM, said:

...While more maps in MWO would be nice, I don't think the amount of payoff the devs would get would justify it. And the gameplay would just inevitably devolve into an established routine anyways.

Stuff like more guns, more robots, and/or buffed existing robots would be way easier to implement and would likely have a higher payoff (especially if actually good mechs are chosen for new additions, they might be able to partially or fully pay for themselves unlike maps which can't directly make up the money they cost).

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:24 AM

View Postw0qj, on 22 January 2021 - 09:52 PM, said:

That sounds quite close to a major MWO expansion, enough to do a major recruitment campaign on GOG, Steam, Epic, etc.
Now, if only MWO has more MWO-modding talent in-house to make this happen...

To be fair, MWO did do a recent (failed) expansion as requested by some players, called "Solaris 7", and look what happened.
To much of "I win" and "You lose", leaving a bad feeling to a majority of players (along with bad win/loss stats), I guess.

I expected Solaris to have better performance than QP so I was really looking forward to it and I tolerated it even with the bad queues at first, but then I noticed it had just as bad or worse FPS than QP which has +22 more mechs and bigger maps. That just made no sense.

The queues also made no sense. There should only be one queue and the queue button should be beside Quick Play. PGI also can't deal with multiple queues. Why can't I queue for Solaris/FP/QP and be tossed in whichever is available? Wouldn't that be great for variety? It's like having 3 different modes available at your fingertips and randomized so you could be doing 1v1, 12v12 or 12v12 with respawns.
  • Queue for all 3 game modes.
  • Picked for Solaris -> Pick your mech for this Solaris bracket -> Fight
  • Picked for QP -> Default mech for QP is set beforehand -> Fight
  • Picked for FP -> Drop deck selected beforehand -> Fight
Suddenly in one queue you have a huge variety in game modes without changing a thing mapwise or etc.
  • 2/4/6/8 guys didn't qualify for a QP match (QP can be priority)? Toss them in Solaris.
  • FP guys need 4 more peeps and there happens to be 4 peeps that didn't qualify for a QP match? Toss them in FP.
  • 1 guy sitting all by himself all lonely in Solaris queue? Grab 1 guy who didn't qualify for QP and make them fight.
  • The MM can keep a buffer of people to line up for the next couple of QP matches and shave off spares for other modes as needed.
  • No one queuing up for FP/Solaris exclusively today? Fine, you get QP.

Edited by Elizander, 23 January 2021 - 02:33 AM.

#20 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:55 AM

I'm a returning player from launch days, the last time i played was right when the IIC mech pack came out. So I've been gone for quite a while from the game. Relearning everything with the skill trees vs the old mech mastery had been fun to say the least. The meta has changed but not much else since then, but thanks to HBS BATTLE TECH I got the itch to pilot instead of command again. I've been having fun, and light engines for IS mechs are a good sense for some of my builds. New content would be nice but there are only so many mechs left they could add without delving into stuff that would require significant investment, like combined arms combat.

Still, I'm enjoying just quick play for now until I get around to maybe finding a new unit and doing FP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users