Need Help Deciding On A Centurion Loadout.

5 replies to this topic

#1 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 02:59 AM

I'm trying a build my CN9-A and I'm caught on a bit of a problem. I'm running an AC10 with 2 tons of ammo, 2 ERML, and an MRM20 with 1.5 tons of ammo currently on an LFE225. With full speed tweak, I can move 78.4kph which I've found to be essentially sufficient for my needs as a mid-line support medium. However, if I exchange the MRM20 for two MRM10s I can increase my engine up to an LFE235 and bump the speed up to almost 82kph. My problem with this is that the second missile hardpoint on the Centurion causes a noticeable increase in the side of the side torso and I'm worried that I'll wind up taking more damage than the slight increase in speed is worth. I could also drop half a ton of MRM ammo to increase the engine up to a 250, but I feel like that's sacrificing too much. Ideas?

Edited by AncientRaig, 30 January 2021 - 02:59 AM.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 January 2021 - 03:07 AM

If your current speed is enough for you then it's fine. You might be overthinking things and just want to tweak your mech more which might cost you more c-bills and not give you much in return. If your main goal is to be able to support the bigger mechs and position based on where they are, your speed is more than fine. You just have to be faster than the big guys. Your speed isn't good for wide flanking maneuvers, but you can more or less keep up with clan heavy mechs like Maddogs, Timberwolves and Hellbringers that move at 81 kph. 3-5 kph isn't that big a difference at that point.

If you really want to move a lot faster on your Centurion, just consider dumping the AC/10 and pumping up to MRM40 + 2 ERML(or regular ML). You can easily do that and have 4 tons ammo and go full 275 LFE with a DHS to help protect the MRM from crits.

#3 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 03:21 AM

View PostElizander, on 30 January 2021 - 03:07 AM, said:

If your current speed is enough for you then it's fine. You might be overthinking things and just want to tweak your mech more which might cost you more c-bills and not give you much in return. If your main goal is to be able to support the bigger mechs and position based on where they are, your speed is more than fine. You just have to be faster than the big guys. Your speed isn't good for wide flanking maneuvers, but you can more or less keep up with clan heavy mechs like Maddogs, Timberwolves and Hellbringers that move at 81 kph. 3-5 kph isn't that big a difference at that point.

If you really want to move a lot faster on your Centurion, just consider dumping the AC/10 and pumping up to MRM40 + 2 ERML(or regular ML). You can easily do that and have 4 tons ammo and go full 275 LFE with a DHS to help protect the MRM from crits.

I have other Centurions from back when the Rule of 3 was still a thing set up along those lines, but for the A I wanted to try and take advantage of its AC10 cooldown quirk. I've got plenty of c-bills to spare from the recent event, so I've got the money to burn at the moment. I probably should've included images of my main concern in the OP. This might make it a bit clearer. The question I have is essentially, is it worth eating the hitbox increase to free up the extra ton.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by AncientRaig, 30 January 2021 - 03:27 AM.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:01 AM

View PostAncientRaig, on 30 January 2021 - 02:59 AM, said:

I'm trying a build my CN9-A and I'm caught on a bit of a problem. I'm running an AC10 with 2 tons of ammo, 2 ERML, and an MRM20 with 1.5 tons of ammo currently on an LFE225. With full speed tweak, I can move 78.4kph which I've found to be essentially sufficient for my needs as a mid-line support medium. However, if I exchange the MRM20 for two MRM10s I can increase my engine up to an LFE235 and bump the speed up to almost 82kph. My problem with this is that the second missile hardpoint on the Centurion causes a noticeable increase in the side of the side torso and I'm worried that I'll wind up taking more damage than the slight increase in speed is worth. I could also drop half a ton of MRM ammo to increase the engine up to a 250, but I feel like that's sacrificing too much. Ideas?

Try this build:
(click on the thumbnail)
Posted Image

It sports greater firepower and it is faster.

Those AC quirks are useful, but not so important.

#5 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:39 AM

I would run your CN9-A like this min-maxed
https://mech.nav-alp...#b5c60b57_CN9-A

Forget the AC10, it's just an extra 5%. Ditch the ERs for better heat, you have enough long/mid range with the LBX and MRMs.

Or just go full MRMs with something likethis
https://mech.nav-alp...#93d23914_CN9-A
though the CN9-A is not the best MRM carrier

If you want some classic action, this was the THE CN9-A build way back in the day. And by that I mean circa 2013. This was the CN9-A's claim to fame. Challenge yourself to die with ONLY when you have CT left, or survive.
https://mech.nav-alp...#cadd5022_CN9-A

#6 Yarminarr

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 04:57 AM

I've recently been running this for the classic CN9-A, it's been working well so far.

RA Ac10, case
RT ac10 ammo x3, laser ams, dhs, case
CT Medium pulse laser x2
LT Rocket 15, rocket 15, rocket 10, case, dhs

Ferro Fibrous, double heat sinks, and a STD 200 engine. I skilled up a little torso speed, full armor, and weapon cooldown.

Edited by Yarminarr, 26 April 2021 - 04:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users