- - - - -

Question About Engine Types Inner Sphere

5 replies to this topic

#1 RUSTY RASTIL

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 02:18 AM

Hello, I am new to this game so excuse me if this is dumb as hell to ponder. I have come to assume that any other engine than XL is just dumb to use. I came here after battletech and mw5 so i tried my hardest to play zombie builds like i woudl over there with standard engines, and some other builds with light engines, and in my experience at best i get 1-2 salvos out with whatever i have left after loosing just 1 side torso before finally being dead, or just overheat from heat spike and die while i am shut down. Even if I survive for longer i don't really want to live anymore with barely any guns left and penalties from light engine side torso loss. My observation is that it is simply better to have XL and kill enemies before they get me than bet on being tanky and outliving my oponent while being severly outgunned especially against clan mechs, and now i only cemented my beliefs by putting XL in every mech beside hunchback 4G for ac20 reasons and somehow landing in tier 1 after just 2 months in the game. So my question is am i right or did i miss something vital about standard/light engines?

#2 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 05:49 AM

it matters little in QP where players are unable to take advantage of tanks.

on an individual level, there are are sword and board mech builds that has a literal dead side meant to take damage and be blown and tank further using the damage transfer mechanic, while dealing damage with primarily FLD weapons

https://mech.nav-alp...dfed28b6_CN9-AL

https://mech.nav-alp...#c29a85bc_CN9-A

Unfortunately, sword and board has largely fallen out of favour, due to various reasons, some of them being hard to play, and sword and board and zombie mechs are only viable on mechs with hardpoints that support them. If you do it on mechs that don't have the correct hardpoint distribution and hitboxes, it doesn't really work.

The most fun I have now with a sword and board build, is this
https://mech.nav-alp...8c463dd1_AWS-8Q
but you have to be really good and torso twisting and snap shots

#3 RUSTY RASTIL

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 05:53 AM

Thank you, I'll try to do something with those builds

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

It's a trade off. That said, LXL is probably the ideal balance generally speaking. Most players probably aren't using standard engines much anymore. Light XL engines allow you to survive one lost torso but not two. The loss of either torso can be a big loss, but you can still contribute something more than being just dead with an XL. There are certain loadouts where standard engines would be required, such as big ballistic weapons (11 slots) in the side torsos, but there's only 1 or 2 weapons like that.
Well, if you're running a light mech or a fast medium, you are still better off with an XL because of the starved tonnage you have in those mechs.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 03 February 2021 - 04:58 PM.

#5 Guardian Soul

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:28 PM

TheCaptainJZ is absolutely right, but don't be too scared of putting an XL on some larger 'mechs as well. The hitboxes and the playstyle of the 'mech both contribute a lot to making a 'mech safe to put an XL on. Generally anything with a broad chest or obvious priority target in the side torso (think stuff like the King Crab, which is super wide, or the Marauders, which tend to have their weapon bearing side torso focused) are super risky to put XLs on.

But then you have the Champion with its smaller torso hitboxes and absolutely amazing arms for shielding its sides, and that thing is shockingly safe as far as XLs go. Well, as 'safe' as any XL build can be, you're still something of a glass cannon.

#6 RUSTY RASTIL

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:40 AM

Thanks guys, now my madness of constantly changing engines can be put to a stop. Apprecieate all the replies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users