Wth

28 replies to this topic

#1 Fragga ONE

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 39 posts
  • LocationKøbenhavn

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:22 PM

Is match maker deliberately broken? have now been in about 20 matches in the last two days with where I and maybe one (and not often even one more) have Assault mechs vs the at least 4-5 on other team, yeah lights are OP yeah heavys are fun etc etc but having a giant wall of metal in the form of geared up Assaults face stomp the team with impunity is getting old, might be a free (ish) game and now I see why people are so hesitant to buy any of its products. Being the only mech *ahem* MMO is no reason to abandon quality control.

Seriously Hissy MechLover.

Oh and have a nice day. :E

#2 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:57 PM

Yes i've noticed this myself.. I'm seeing really odd matches where one team is stacked with Heavies and Assaults.. and other matches where its nearly all lights etc.. Its crazy broken.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:43 PM

View PostFragga ONE, on 03 February 2021 - 07:22 PM, said:

Is match maker deliberately broken? have now been in about 20 matches in the last two days with where I and maybe one (and not often even one more) have Assault mechs vs the at least 4-5 on other team, yeah lights are OP yeah heavys are fun etc etc but having a giant wall of metal in the form of geared up Assaults face stomp the team with impunity is getting old, might be a free (ish) game and now I see why people are so hesitant to buy any of its products. Being the only mech *ahem* MMO is no reason to abandon quality control.

There is a simple answer: PGI wants that so. There is nothing what you can do about it.

If you want a longer answer: Paul Inouye promised us the open discussion about the matchmaker in July 2020. Of course he has ignored the forums ever since.

#4 Dozer6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 139 posts
  • LocationStripping lasers off my Archer to fit 4 more tons of LRM'S

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:49 AM

What wait.
You actually have assaults assaulting?
What is this action you speak of?

Had a match last night where the mediums "i included" and the lights tried to hold the line while the assaults laid back.

Too many matches like that actually...

#5 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:03 AM

Low player base and solo's vs groups so solo PSR vs group PSR

Edited by SirSmokes, 04 February 2021 - 08:25 AM.

#6 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

Solo queue used to match weight classes but had totally inaccurate tier ratings from broken PSR left untouched for 5 years.

Then, PGI used a player-designed system that so far has held up...but only after mixing solos and groups, and allowing groups to choose any combination of 'Mechs within a wide total tonnage allowance. The result can be massive imbalances when one group maxes and the other tries to do the light thing but ain't no A-Team.

And since priorities are bolt-ons, PGI can't implement something sensible like 1-1-1-1/1-1-1/1-1 for groups.

Edited by East Indy, 04 February 2021 - 08:24 AM.

#7 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:26 AM

View PostEast Indy, on 04 February 2021 - 08:24 AM, said:

Solo queue used to match weight classes but had totally inaccurate tier ratings from broken PSR left untouched for 5 years.

Then, PGI used a player-designed system that so far has held up...but only after mixing solos and groups, and allowing groups to choose any combination of 'Mechs within a wide total tonnage allowance. The result can be massive imbalances when one group maxes and the other tries to do the light thing but ain't no A-Team.

And since priorities are bolt-ons, PGI can't implement something sensible like 1-1-1-1/1-1-1/1-1 for groups.

How dose that fix the player base and PSR for solo and groups?

#8 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:26 AM

Sometime in a distant future we will get some match maker improvements.... Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Snowhawk, 04 February 2021 - 11:10 AM.

#9 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:28 AM

Mixing groups and solo players inherently throws off the weight class balance in matches. There isn't much to be done about this except unmerge the queues.

TBF weight class imbalances caused by the queue merge are far less impactful thank the skill imbalances caused by the queue merge, but that's not the part of this dumpster fire of a merge that you were asking about.

#10 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:30 AM

View PostBrauer, on 04 February 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

Mixing groups and solo players inherently throws off the weight class balance in matches. There isn't much to be done about this except unmerge the queues.

TBF weight class imbalances caused by the queue merge are far less impactful thank the skill imbalances caused by the queue merge, but that's not the part of this dumpster fire of a merge that you were asking about.

8v8 for solo and group is the way. [redacted]

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 04 February 2021 - 11:33 PM.

#11 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:50 AM

I'd still like to see more hard data on the mixed queue set up and the impact it has had on matches.

I've read a lot of salt on the forums about it, but personally I haven't felt it has caused that many issues. I certainly feel it is better than before the queues were mixed. I play both solo and grouped. I'd say with a bit more time spent solo.

I have seen the issue with the teams weight being very imbalanced with 5 assaults on one team and only 1 assault on the opposite team. But I still feel skill can win out over tonnage differences.

I don't envy the matchmaker because there are just so many variables in MWO. A players individual skill, if they are grouped what is the average of that group's skill? What about which mechs are being taken out. There are definitely chassis that just perform better than others. But even a good chassis can have a crap loadout. What about skill points on that chassis?

That is a lot of variables to consider to make a good balanced match. And what exactly does a good balanced match look like anyway? Not to mention that MWO has a strong "snowball" element. If one side loses two mechs early on due to bad positioning that can be a high wall to climb to overcome that player difference that happened early.

For me a good match win or lose is based on whether I personally feel I contributed well. I hate going down having only done 200 or less damage. If my team loses but I did 500+ damage and tanked 400-500 damage before dying the sting of defeat is more like a pin *****. I see people get upset about losses on this forum but I never understand that. In a game with a good matchmaker you shouldn't win more than half your games. Not saying I don't get frustrated if I have a streak of 6 losses in a row though. I definitely do especially if after the 3rd loss I start taking out my meta mechs and STILL can't help our team to a win.

#12 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

working as intended. nothing to see here.

#13 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:06 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 04 February 2021 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'd still like to see more hard data on the mixed queue set up and the impact it has had on matches.

I've read a lot of salt on the forums about it, but personally I haven't felt it has caused that many issues. I certainly feel it is better than before the queues were mixed. I play both solo and grouped. I'd say with a bit more time spent solo.

Its obvious it dose how could it not? Groups are force force multipliers and have outside impact on the way games go. If they are working as a team they can do way more then individual could do on there own. You think this has no impact? Someone tell the worlds militaries they can slash there budgets 99.99% they only need one guy because fighting alone is effective vs a group

View PostWillard Phule, on 04 February 2021 - 09:00 AM, said:

working as intended. nothing to see here.

Doing two things poor at same time?

Edited by SirSmokes, 04 February 2021 - 09:19 AM.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:08 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 04 February 2021 - 08:50 AM, said:

I see people get upset about losses on this forum but I never understand that. In a game with a good matchmaker you shouldn't win more than half your games. Not saying I don't get frustrated if I have a streak of 6 losses in a row though. I definitely do especially if after the 3rd loss I start taking out my meta mechs and STILL can't help our team to a win.

I don't think anyone gets upset at losing per se. Rather it's losses that are deemed unfair.

If you start a game with three assaults AFK or have a 4-man of cadets on your side and there's a 4-man of championship players on the opposite it can be very hard to deal with. Technically you have a chance but when it happens multiple times in a session people are going to get mad.

#15 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:15 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 February 2021 - 09:08 AM, said:

I don't think anyone gets upset at losing per se. Rather it's losses that are deemed unfair.

If you start a game with three assaults AFK or have a 4-man of cadets on your side and there's a 4-man of championship players on the opposite it can be very hard to deal with. Technically you have a chance but when it happens multiple times in a session people are going to get mad.

I don't mind losing no problem just want more CONSISTENT matches. Right now it swings wild its lots of wild swings stomps or getting stomped and fewer close games the fun games

Edited by SirSmokes, 04 February 2021 - 09:17 AM.

#16 Chaotic_Harmony

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

When PGI implemented the merged queues, there was a “testing” period in which they would make changes and fix any issues.

I say “testing” in quotes because they DIDNT DO A DAMN THING. One of the things they changed was turning off tonnage balancing because groups broke it.

Used to be if you had 3 assaults, enemy team would have 3 assaults (solo queue only obviously)
Now that is no longer the case.

Enjoy waiting until Q4 for that to be fixed. Just 8 more months of fun, balanced gameplay!

#17 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

*comes back to find out he got dropped to teir 5 from teir 1, runs assault mechs almost exclusively for hours last night.*
**someone makes a post complaining about assault mech stomps....*

#nerviouswhistling

#18 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

View PostGrus, on 04 February 2021 - 10:28 AM, said:

*comes back to find out he got dropped to teir 5 from teir 1, runs assault mechs almost exclusively for hours last night.*
**someone makes a post complaining about assault mech stomps....*

#nerviouswhistling

Well you have the luck of the gods then and some help for sure don't lie nowPosted Image

#19 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:31 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 04 February 2021 - 10:30 AM, said:

Well you have the luck of the gods then and some help for sure don't lie nowPosted Image

Solo. Drops.

#20 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:39 AM

View PostGrus, on 04 February 2021 - 10:31 AM, said:

Solo. Drops.

Sure Posted Image I know :P

Edited by SirSmokes, 04 February 2021 - 10:40 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users