21 replies to this topic

#1 chaosshade2638

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:46 AM

First off, I'd like to be very clear that I'm not trying to start anything, I'm merely sating my own curiosity.

Why do people pick this map? What's so appealing about it?

As far as I know, it's the largest map in the Quick Play rotation, maybe second largest compared to Frozen City, but tactically speaking, it offers nothing I'd consider "fun."

I know LRM boats prefer the map because they can pretty much bombard enemies with impunity because there's no buildings or rock formations to hide behind. The map is so large that Conquest is very difficult because the capture points are so far apart (to say nothing of the general inability of people to play Conquest in the first place). The only two modes that make the map "usable" in any real fashion are Invasion (though people don't like this mode anyway) and Domination (because it draws everyone to the same general area)

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the map though.

#2 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

Long range map.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:23 AM

View Postchaosshade2638, on 04 February 2021 - 10:46 AM, said:

I know LRM boats prefer the map because they can pretty much bombard enemies with impunity because there's no buildings or rock formations to hide behind.

Yes and no.

You are right that Polar Highlands really is a good map for LRMs.

However, there are some clusters of buildings that can offer a good cover against LRMs. Sadly, seeing PUG teams using such cover is a very rare thing - simply because 99% of all PUGs automatically head towards the barren centre of the map while leaving those buildings behind.

The map is so large that Conquest is very difficult because the capture points are so far apart (to say nothing of the general inability of people to play Conquest in the first place).

Conquest is not that difficult here if you are in a fast light or medium 'Mech. My "Shard" is ideal 'Mech for this map: Fast enough to move between caps, small enough to hide in those valleys that criss-cross the map, and even the camo blends with the landscape effectively.

Unfortunately, the majority of PUGs gravitate towards heavier - and slower - 'Mechs.

The only two modes that make the map "usable" in any real fashion are Invasion (though people don't like this mode anyway) and Domination (because it draws everyone to the same general area)

As I said above, the PUGs head towards the centre no matter if there is some objective or not.

And there is one thing that I would like to mention: This map actually allows for a freedom of movement. What do I mean?

If you have played a few times Canyon Valley/Hibernal Rift in a row (i.e. maps with prearranged paths that you can hardly leave without jump jets), if you had Solaris City after that (map where the majority of 'Mechs can use only narrow streets and even narrower spots where those overpasses rise from streets) and then you dropped on Forest Colony Classic (small map where usually the only used option is the frontal assault) ...

... then you will vote for Polar Highlands when you get the opportunity. Posted Image

Edited by martian, 04 February 2021 - 11:23 AM.

#4 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:27 AM

First off, I'd like to be very clear that I'm not trying to start anything, I'm merely sating my own curiosity.

Why do people pick this map? What's so appealing about it?

As far as I know, it's the largest map in the Quick Play rotation, maybe second largest compared to Frozen City, but tactically speaking, it offers nothing I'd consider "fun."

I know LRM boats prefer the map because they can pretty much bombard enemies with impunity because there's no buildings or rock formations to hide behind. The map is so large that Conquest is very difficult because the capture points are so far apart (to say nothing of the general inability of people to play Conquest in the first place). The only two modes that make the map "usable" in any real fashion are Invasion (though people don't like this mode anyway) and Domination (because it draws everyone to the same general area)

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the map though.

It could use some improvements make it little less LRM centrist for one.

Edited by SirSmokes, 04 February 2021 - 11:27 AM.

#5 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:47 AM

Polar Highlands is an excellent map with good design. It's tilted towards ranged loadouts of all sorts (not just LRMs), but fast mechs and closer ranged loadouts can get a lot done using the trenches and hills (if you bother to learn where they are.) It also serves to balance out other maps that are bad for long range builds (Solaris). Its certainly a big improvement over Alpine Peaks, which is too low surface detail and skewed to even longer ranges.

The problem with polar highlands is that it gets dominated by LRMs at low skill levels where people don't use the terrain properly, don't pick where they want to fight, and don't have other ranged builds countering the LRMs (PPCs, gauss, ACs.) Its poor reputation comes almost entirely from the fact that at low skill levels, LRMs are very effective. They don't take much to use, and they take a moderate amount of ability to counter. But at higher skill levels, a LRM heavy team will find itself in trouble against a team heavy in other sorts of ranged. Its really PPCs, Gauss and AC2's that rule Polar Highlands.

And of course, if your team has a decent amount of ECM and AMS, LRMs really aren't an issue or even quickly become dead weight.

My experience was first hating it, but over time coming to realize just how much there is to work with on it, and coming to enjoy the different type of matches it offers over other maps. Now I vote for it unless I'm in a very short range brawler, but even in those loadouts I don't mind too much.

Edited by Heavy Money, 04 February 2021 - 11:48 AM.

#6 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:52 AM

Polar Highlands sometimes requires different tactics, that's all. The map rewards mobility. IMO light mechs become more useful for recon and harassing lurm boats. The biggest danger on that map isn't lurms, but peaking over a hill into an enemy firing line.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#7 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:46 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 04 February 2021 - 11:47 AM, said:

Polar Highlands is an excellent map with good design. It's tilted towards ranged loadouts of all sorts (not just LRMs), but fast mechs and closer ranged loadouts can get a lot done using the trenches and hills (if you bother to learn where they are.) It also serves to balance out other maps that are bad for long range builds (Solaris). Its certainly a big improvement over Alpine Peaks, which is too low surface detail and skewed to even longer ranges.

The problem with polar highlands is that it gets dominated by LRMs at low skill levels where people don't use the terrain properly, don't pick where they want to fight, and don't have other ranged builds countering the LRMs (PPCs, gauss, ACs.) Its poor reputation comes almost entirely from the fact that at low skill levels, LRMs are very effective. They don't take much to use, and they take a moderate amount of ability to counter. But at higher skill levels, a LRM heavy team will find itself in trouble against a team heavy in other sorts of ranged. Its really PPCs, Gauss and AC2's that rule Polar Highlands.

And of course, if your team has a decent amount of ECM and AMS, LRMs really aren't an issue or even quickly become dead weight.

My experience was first hating it, but over time coming to realize just how much there is to work with on it, and coming to enjoy the different type of matches it offers over other maps. Now I vote for it unless I'm in a very short range brawler, but even in those loadouts I don't mind too much.

View PostLockheed_, on 04 February 2021 - 12:10 PM, said:

The problem with polar highlands except for domination is this general unspoken agreement to meet in the middle. there are plenty of buildings around for cover, but with everyone just heading towards the center no one ever uses them. There's also a couple of deep trenches that break LOS very well and sometimes get used in conquest, all you have to do is shoot the UAVs and you are good. the map needs more cover yes, but matches don't have to be as bad as they are 99% of the time.
I used to hate polar, but I prefer it over Mining Collective and with the reintroduction of the classic maps (i hate them all) I catch myself voting for polar every now and then.

Indeed just add little more cover. Also thanks for pointing out there are loads LRM counters

Edited by SirSmokes, 04 February 2021 - 12:53 PM.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:51 PM

It's popular because regardless of the map's actual design, most battles on it end up being tactically vacant NASCAR or firing line affairs that even the simplest of noggin's can grasp. Its greatest failure is also its greatest strength, in that anything structurally or tactically interesting is tucked safely out of the way of the Radar Dish Of Many Deaths.

#9 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:16 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 February 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

It's popular because regardless of the map's actual design, most battles on it end up being tactically vacant NASCAR or firing line affairs that even the simplest of noggin's can grasp. Its greatest failure is also its greatest strength, in that anything structurally or tactically interesting is tucked safely out of the way of the Radar Dish Of Many Deaths.

I remember playing a match where we somehow ended up amongst these buildings and cooling towers on this little platform. I couldn't say what map grid off memory. But it was a very different battle that I really enjoyed because it broke the usual mold for Polar Highlands.

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:23 PM

If I'm not tired and I want to try to chat lead the team to victory on Polar, I mostly tell them to hang back behind cover and wait for the enemy to get impatient. When some mechs break out of cover to advance on us, we either adjust to delay the flankers while poking the remaining static enemy mechs or we pull back so the static mechs can't shoot us and we kill the flankers first. When the enemy team makes a push, they usually do it in a bad way which is out on the open. When they do that and they have no cover, I just type in chat for everyone to go out and shoot all at the same time and that usually ends the game. If I'm in an assault and we have a relatively decent advantage, I'll call for a push and just lead the way to mop things up.

I can't say I hate the time I spend in Polar Highlands, even though I don't vote for it a lot. I don't bring a lot of LRMs either. I'm either in gauss vomit or LB-SRM brawl.

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:32 PM

View PostWolfos31, on 04 February 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

I remember playing a match where we somehow ended up amongst these buildings and cooling towers on this little platform. I couldn't say what map grid off memory. But it was a very different battle that I really enjoyed because it broke the usual mold for Polar Highlands.

Likely the platform in J6.

I'll often try and drags the pugs there on a skirmish. If you heard someone using the command wheel to direct pugs there it was probably me. It's a fun place to fight if you can get the team there. Hardest part is getting groups to go along with the plan. Normally they have their own idea which tears the team in two.

Conversly you might have been the guys on the opposite side wondering why we weren't in the usual spot...

#12 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:47 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 February 2021 - 01:32 PM, said:

Likely the platform in J6.

I'll often try and drags the pugs there on a skirmish. If you heard someone using the command wheel to direct pugs there it was probably me. It's a fun place to fight if you can get the team there. Hardest part is getting groups to go along with the plan. Normally they have their own idea which tears the team in two.

Conversly you might have been the guys on the opposite side wondering why we weren't in the usual spot...

Its like herding cats sometimes you can get a team to play smart but that is a big if

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 February 2021 - 03:02 PM

View PostWolfos31, on 04 February 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

Yup suddenly there are a lot more options for positioning. I actually rather like Polar on those off moments you describe, and with just a little more vertical cover to effectively block missiles toward the centre of the map, things could be very different.

#14 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 03:14 PM

I like it because I have found it can be a very weird, and many many different outcomes regardless of loadouts. Well, except maybe short range. I have found a team full of Ballistics can easily shread a team of LRM's and Snipers. Though, I have seen that same team of snipers, and LRM boats kick the ballistics ***...

It is big, and can be a little lame for slow mechs. But, if those slow mechs are supported by the team, and the team keep moving, it works out very well!

#15 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 03:29 PM

When the map first came out. People were using tactics, thinking. Even myself commanded a few times on the map, and was successful. But as time went on. People started to ignore each other, no more commanders, only move to center, and then nascar became the norm and on all maps.

Edited by GuardDogg, 04 February 2021 - 03:30 PM.

#16 Dozer6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 139 posts
  • LocationStripping lasers off my Archer to fit 4 more tons of LRM'S

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:46 AM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 04 February 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

I like it because I have found it can be a very weird, and many many different outcomes regardless of loadouts. Well, except maybe short range. I have found a team full of Ballistics can easily shread a team of LRM's and Snipers. Though, I have seen that same team of snipers, and LRM boats kick the ballistics ***...

It is big, and can be a little lame for slow mechs. But, if those slow mechs are supported by the team, and the team keep moving, it works out very well!

Someone gets it!!!
I like this map a lot. Reminds me of when I was in Iraq in the 1st gulf war.
Wide open with rolling undulations and trench cuts, very little cover, unless you know how to use terrain.

Then you get the one in fifty game when people mesh and communicate.
The lrm's open em up, maybe even get some crits.
The assaults actually assault.
The mediums support the the heavies and assaults and form a rear guard while the lights sweep around and knock out the critically wrekt mechs.

Dream world of organized mechanized combat...

#17 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,930 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:41 AM

I dislike Polar merely because it takes an added 2 minutes to get to the fight. Other than that it is just like any other map. People still NASCAR. People still try to LRM from 900m or more. Lights and the occasional lone assault still go out to Zimbabwe to die alone.

If it's skirmish 9 out of 10 times you fight starting at around I9 and circle each other from there. If it's domination same thing, but you circle the dish instead. If It's conquest the circling is usually at theta with a bit more variation depending on team composition. I hate to say it, but Incursion is the only mode where there is a bit of variation now and again, because every once in a while one side has too many lights to not try and base cap and then its like a slow moving Benny Hill sketch played out with stompy robots.

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

The maps great, Sorts the wheat from the chaff
If one can play polar good and if other people can not play polar good, it gives one an advantage
Thats a good reason to pick polar highlands

#19 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 February 2021 - 06:19 AM

They pick it so they can lose.

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder