@ Devs: Continueing Work On Engine ?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:38 AM

With the resent picking up off MWO and returning to actualy working on it I have a question for you PGI guys, maybe it was mentioned and I didn't read/heared it but I would like to ask if you actualy intend to have 1-2 engineers in the new team, that is forming at the moment to support MWO again, that are working on the basic code and go over it.

Point of interest

1) Increasing performance
There where some guys here in the forum that added/changed some files and made the game performe better and it was more or less "just" changeing some values in a text file.
So there is allready a starting point and a prove that the engine can be improved without a complete rework it or a need to change the engine.

2) Bug fixing
I think that speaks for itself and MWO needs that. I think a certain heat bug and hit registration are just some of the things that need to be adressed.

3) Improving existing features
Shaders, effects and other stuff. Beeing a mix of either improveing the performance of those things or makeing them better looking

4) Incooperating new features / technology
This is most likely the hardest part and the one less likely to happen still I think it would be worth thinking about incooperating something like DLSS, FidelityFX, Vulkan API

While I am pretty sure that this happening will be unlikely, I think I remember Russ saying something about this beeing to expansive, I think its a point that is very unerestimaded by him.

Looking at other games I play that I install every now and then, they keep themself fresh with incooperating not only new gameplay or modes, they are also trying to keep up with new tech and improveing the games performance.
I think the best example I know of and have played is "World of Warships". The last time I had it installed I was only able to play it on mostly medium setting to get my 60 FPS. Maybe half a year later they have improved the game so much that I can set nearly everything to high or very high and still have my 60 FPS without changeing my hardware.

That alone is so much of an improvement that I returned to playing the game, because who dosn't like good graphics alonge the nice gameplay?

Point is I think I am not alone with this and for MWO to retain old players as well to keep new players needs to work on the performance department. Maybe even if you don't upgrade the look, getting smooth and high FPS is allways welcome and keeps people playing.

Lets be frank, the new kid on the block, that comes to MWO, will not understand why his high-end master race PC struggles with game from the "dark ages" Posted Image

Edited by Nesutizale, 20 February 2021 - 05:40 AM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:38 PM

i judge from their lack of ability to write exception handlers for known unhandled exceptions (like the ones that cause crashes in full screen mode from alt tabbing), that pgi has zero access to the engine source and little understanding of the parts they may actually have access to.

pgi does not improve the engine.
pgi does not fix bugs (at least not any that matter).
pgi never follows up on features, opting to redux them completely when the community complains hard enough.
pgi are effectively modders of the pre-existing assets at this point.

Edited by LordNothing, 20 February 2021 - 09:43 PM.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:16 AM

I have seen modders tearing appart older engines and rebuild them to look better or increase performance. So even if they don't have someone at the moment its not impossible.

Most likely its a question of motivating Russ to assign someone to the task or finding someone who still knows the cryengine, that hasn't been sucked up by StarCitizen.

I think the best arguement of why you should invest time and money into a coder is that in the long run you will keep more people playing and spending money on the game, cause bugs and performance issues drive people away. Espacialy new players who have a bunch of other games to choose from.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

ive been one of those modders, so i know how that goes. of course i had the luxury of working on a game with complete source code available. i have a feeling pgi is working with a blob that they have little or no access to. such is the way things work in a rent-an-engine world. there have been game communities that have resorted to asm level modification to the engine, but i think they might be under a license agreement where they are not allowed to do that.

there is still a lot they can do with xml and art, but they arent even doing that. a few small tweaks a month seem out of their capabilities.

#5 Sasuga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:29 AM

Yeah, I'd love to see the engine stop crashing.

I'd love to see destructible terrain.

I've love it if the graphics were updated/improved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users