#61 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:23 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 04 March 2021 - 06:56 PM, said:

Interesting. Because PPC's do work that way.

And I did just confirm that on testing grounds, yes. Panther trial mech can damage targets at 91m with PPC, but my Marauder 3R with the 5% range boost needs 96m before it can hurt anything.

So apologies for generalizing, and i stand corrected. My recent experience that caused me to make the statement about LRM's must have been hit registration and I made an assumption from there based on PPC mechanics.

PPCs are a strange thing for sure. Only 2 of the 5 I tested had no minimal range as shown by the in-game tool tip. The other three did indeed have a 90m minimal range. Some times it didn't even work at 91-94m range. At distances longer than 100m they for the most part work in theroy.

In theory because in a live game they have huge hit box and hit virtually everything but the mech you want to hit. I personally hate them all since they are so wildly inconsistent with damage registration with the worst heat-to-damage ratio as well. The funniest part about the test is that a stock jenner survived a full 50 ppc blast aimed at the cockpit at around 180m so all damage should have killed it.

https://youtu.be/iSftgXGa-90

#62 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:53 PM

JediPanther said:

1614990221[/url]' post='6380485']

PPCs are a strange thing for sure. Only 2 of the 5 I tested had no minimal range as shown by the in-game tool tip. The other three did indeed have a 90m minimal range. Some times it didn't even work at 91-94m range. At distances longer than 100m they for the most part work in theroy.

Yup, heavy, light and regular have 90m minimums, while snub and ER do not. And the range is calculated to the center of the target’s polygons. So if you’re firing at a target on an angle, the nearest arm might be under minimum range while the farthest is damageable. This plays merry hell with people firing right at minimum range!

JediPanther said:

1614990221[/url]' post='6380485']
In theory because in a live game they have huge hit box and hit virtually everything but the mech you want to hit. I personally hate them all since they are so wildly inconsistent with damage registration with the worst heat-to-damage ratio as well. The funniest part about the test is that a stock jenner survived a full 50 ppc blast aimed at the cockpit at around 180m so all damage should have killed it.

https://youtu.be/iSftgXGa-90

Jenners have terrible hit boxes. Always have.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 05 March 2021 - 04:53 PM.

#63 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:45 PM

Oh, and since you have me curious, a quick couple of trips to testing grounds with a Highlander IIc B confirm that ATM’s don’t work like that either. Unskilled, all 4 ATM sizes hit at about 122m, then adding 14% range skills I saw the same thing.

so it’s really just PPCs then.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 05 March 2021 - 05:46 PM.

#64 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

94m falls into the "This projectile needs to travel 90 meters, but it's spawning at the end of a long barrel and it'll impact the opponent's armor before reaching CoM" category imo. Not an actual range bug, just an awkward disconnect between the UI and reality.

#65 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:02 PM

I just don't use PPCs of any type, saves a lot of stress and testing imo..

Edited by Samial, 05 March 2021 - 08:02 PM.

#66 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:22 AM

View PostSamial, on 24 February 2021 - 06:21 AM, said:

Lurmers are scum.

Lurmers only do well when their team does all the heavy lifting for them.

A bit harsh as I not really feel myself a scum because of multiple reasons:
1. LRM is good for team support. I have a Mad dog with 2xLRM20s and TAG. Cool, if I could spot and lock something I shot it. Would nearly never score a kill with it but my brawler teammates have better chance to bring their targets down. Especially in Siege as defenders when they NEED THAT PLACE TO MANEUVERING WHILE BRAWL THE ATTACKERS (sorry for the yell8ng). Left behind with LRMs is a good choice because of that. Otherwise I go with the pack so I could have my own locks (plus there is a reason why my MDG have an ER-PPC aswell). Non-siege maps often provide more place to maneuver and evade each others considering how badly I still controll my mechs (MWO's system for aim and torso move is very stranger after other MW games). So if I go with a "lurmer" I try to get as much self-lock as possible. Not think it made me a scum nor think it made those scum whos kill me with LRM bombardment. Weapon + tactic, some learn to use some hates because IT IS effective and usefull.
2. Lock with LRM is easy thanks for the BIG red marks. Easier to keep the reticule inside that mark than aim with other weapons precisely. And it helps a whole lot. You know, after chemo I suffer some side effects like shaking hands and that makes precise targeting a nightmare. Lurming is a good choice on those days. Not feel myself a scum because of this, should I? Even now I rearmed my Summoner from a dual-PPC build to a 3xLRM15 + TAG build. A necessity otherwise I would be an obstacle for my faction not a teammate anyhow.

I got that some get frustrated because how LRMs work. But LRMs need some skill to use aswell because of the lock-on. And when I use an LRM-boat you know how frustrating could be the enemy ECM and mass-o-AMS? Yes, guess, but not think they are scum because they "ruin" my game with it. I consider it a challenge. When got destroyed and respawn in a non-LRM build I use the AMS the same way and preyed by LRMs the same way as my opponents not so long ago. Not think them scum if they lurm-kill me. Why should? I could accept it more considering the indirect nature of LRMs than the coward hide-pop-shot-duck peak-f**king. If you arm your mech with direct fire weapons why hide? Brawl face to face not laugh behind a hill. Hill-humping is a trap because f**king easy to score tremendous damage with it with minimal to no risk at all, a trap of cowardice exchange of high-scores and more CBs. Yeah, hill-hugger-peak-pooping achive sure wins but consider this eternal truth: Not the victory what matter BUT how you win...

So, that were my thoughts about it. Calling lurmers scum is harsh and not just. You could call all other vomit-build users scum on the same basis. Someone with 4-6 ACs not need lock at all, just spot by others then spread the "love".
And may were also a bit harsh now but I frankly not in the mood to kept myself back. Somedays - hope NEVER - if you also experience the conditions make me so erratic you would understand. But hope you never will for your own sake.

#67 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:32 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 07 March 2021 - 01:22 AM, said:

So, that were my thoughts about it. Calling lurmers scum is harsh and not just. You could call all other vomit-build users scum on the same basis. Someone with 4-6 ACs not need lock at all, just spot by others then spread the "love".
And may were also a bit harsh now but I frankly not in the mood to kept myself back. Somedays - hope NEVER - if you also experience the conditions make me so erratic you would understand. But hope you never will for your own sake.

Dont waste more time or words,
your are talking to someone who dont want to dedicate a single ton of teamutility because it will break his parroted metabuild and hates lrms but also uses them itself. Just say: No ams, no cry! and do better things. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users