Which Medium Mechs Are As Good As The Vapor Eagle?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:49 PM

Simple question. You can also say why you think it's just as good. Posted Image

#2 Mech Walesa

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:37 AM

https://grimmechs.is...ts?list=general

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:22 AM

I prefer mechs that aren’t on the meta list, and I’m partial to IS mechs. So my list of dependable mediums features both the Shadowhawk 2K (either 3 ML + 3 ArtiSRM, or 3 LL + 3 SRM) and the Centurion AL (3 ERLL + rockets). Neither is the rock star that the vapor eagle is, but I was using them for years before the vapor eagle came along, so proficiency with the chassis and quirks make them quite competitive.

#4 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:51 AM

The grimmechs S and A tiers are rather comprehensive, but theres a lot of B-tier mechs no one has gotten around to assessing yet there. I'd argue that 2UAC10 Huntsman and LB10+4SRM4 SHD-2D2 are also B-tier at least.

The S tier is probably the only ones that really compete with the VGL though. Vulcans, Dervishes, the PXH-2 and the Crab 27B do a lot of work in competitive tournaments with how good inner sphere Medium Pulse Lasers are. VGL can't brawl with them and win.

The bar to being THAT good is very high and I'd expect there isn't a mech good enought to count thats not on the list already. Some of the A-tiers like the Assassin might be close to belonging in S tier instead.

Edited by Gagis, 02 March 2021 - 06:02 AM.

#5 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:17 AM

BLACK LANNER

Posted Image

In all seriousness there are other good medium mechs but VGL is hands down the best medium mech there is.

#6 Dozer6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 139 posts
  • LocationStripping lasers off my Archer to fit 4 more tons of LRM'S

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:22 AM

Bushwacker X1 with 3 rac2.

#7 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:30 AM

View PostElizander, on 01 March 2021 - 11:49 PM, said:

I'd say it depends on what you want to do.

Vapor Eagle I have none of but anytime I see one, I am not that impressed.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:52 AM

Nice b8 m8.

Assassin 21, Wolverine 7K, Griffin 2N - all better brawlers. Better geometry, agility, speed, hardpoint location, quirks, or all of that.

Vulcan 5T - Better skirmisher, it's faster and more agile with a slighter frame that makes it easier to get into cover.

Dervish 6MR - A tankier Vulcan 5T trading agility for 20% armour buff in torsos due to missile bay doors and an extra mpl.

Dervish Frenzy - Probably the most powerful burst damage of any Medium 'Mech - it packs 8 SRM launchers. Still has better geometry than the Vapor Eagle.

Bushwacker - Any of the Bushies that can mount UAC-10 in the torsos, better geometry and quirks.

Vapor Eagle is best at two builds - Triple PPC and ATMs. Those are great builds, but to not recognize other 'Mechs in the class so that you can have a veiled whinge thread. Man I dunno, I suppose I fell for it?

#9 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:42 AM

im not an expert but i noticed that the stormcrow is simply amazing at spreading damage, i've had a bunch of matches where i came out fully armor stripped but functional.

my favorite build is 2 erppc and 8 microlaser, its a bit toasty but with the overhead mount and its quirky profile it can peek and hide wile spreading missile and laser damage extremely well, and take care of any light that sneaks up on you most of the time

you can do pretty much anyhting with it just remeber to roll and keep moving.

#10 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

I played UZIEL some time ago and saw, he is very agility mech. You can bow torso down to avoid shoots! Posted Image

#11 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:56 AM

As has been said, you can find better brawlers and skirmishers, but overall the Vapor Eagle is the best medium. One of the things it doesn't get a lot of credit for is how well it spreads damage. If my veagles don't tank 500 damage before I die, I'm disappointed. I'm sure others can do better, but not counting armor quirked mechs like the IV-FOUR, I rarely tank better than 500 damage in anything less than a 70 tonners.

#12 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:53 PM

View PostMech Walesa, on 02 March 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

At a glance, the Hunchback 4SP is nowhere on this list? Bleh.

View Postaardappelianen, on 02 March 2021 - 08:42 AM, said:

im not an expert but i noticed that the stormcrow is simply amazing at spreading damage, i've had a bunch of matches where i came out fully armor stripped but functional.

my favorite build is 2 erppc and 8 microlaser, its a bit toasty but with the overhead mount and its quirky profile it can peek and hide wile spreading missile and laser damage extremely well, and take care of any light that sneaks up on you most of the time

you can do pretty much anyhting with it just remeber to roll and keep moving.

Shoot the Stormcrows legs.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 02 March 2021 - 01:53 PM.

#13 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:34 PM

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 02 March 2021 - 11:56 AM, said:

As has been said, you can find better brawlers and skirmishers, but overall the Vapor Eagle is the best medium. One of the things it doesn't get a lot of credit for is how well it spreads damage. If my veagles don't tank 500 damage before I die, I'm disappointed. I'm sure others can do better, but not counting armor quirked mechs like the IV-FOUR, I rarely tank better than 500 damage in anything less than a 70 tonners.

Again depends on pilot and preference. For example, I can tank that much damage in Wolverines, Griffins, Crabs.

#14 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:00 PM

View PostMech Walesa, on 02 March 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

And, perhaps painting a more realistic picture:

https://grimmechs.is...ialist&c=medium

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 March 2021 - 05:22 AM, said:

I prefer mechs that aren’t on the meta list, and I’m partial to IS mechs. So my list of dependable mediums features both the Shadowhawk 2K (either 3 ML + 3 ArtiSRM, or 3 LL + 3 SRM) and the Centurion AL (3 ERLL + rockets). Neither is the rock star that the vapor eagle is, but I was using them for years before the vapor eagle came along, so proficiency with the chassis and quirks make them quite competitive.

Congrats, you didn't answer the question.

#15 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:07 AM

I'm far from a meta pilot and i play as i play but for me

Crabs all are good. Even Florentine..
Enforcers multi laser ones are top and the hero
Blackjacks nearly all do well, Arrow used to be amazing
Shadowhawks
Wolverines watch your shoulders though..
Assassins are really strong
Cicada Nearly all perform
Hunchbacks are underrated
Trebuchet very fast lurm boats

Huntsmen again not bad
Ice ferrets are really strong for their weight and speed.
Novas if used right crazy
Vipers Underrated
Hunchback IIC underrated.

Obviously avoided the meta ones.

Edited by Samial, 03 March 2021 - 02:09 AM.

#16 Mech Walesa

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:47 AM

the thing with veagles (besides the hero one) is that you can have so much fun experimenting with them and outfitting them to your liking. i own and love all of them but would trade them in a hearbeat for a vulcan or [redacted]phawk(ecm). IS MPL or IS srm is the meta for me.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 03 March 2021 - 10:55 AM.

#17 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

View PostElizander, on 01 March 2021 - 11:49 PM, said:

I guess it depends on what mech characteristic is most important to you. I don’t think any other medium in the game approaches the assault mech level firepower of the VGL-A. Bushwackers are tankier and Vulcans are nimbler. I could go on but you get the point.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#18 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:30 AM

Looks like this thread was posted in the wrong section, so I've moved it to Medium Mech Builds

#19 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:13 PM

View PostMech Walesa, on 03 March 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

the thing with veagles (besides the hero one) is that you can have so much fun experimenting with them and outfitting them to your liking. i own and love all of them but would trade them in a hearbeat for a vulcan or [redacted]phawk(ecm). IS MPL or IS srm is the meta for me.

IS MPL, SRM and any UAC-5/UAC-10 combo. If you can boat those you're golden. The Rival really is garbage though, my God. It's got no redeeming qualities and is hampered at every turn. Guns in arms? Check. Huge side torsos remain? Check. Missiles on the wrong side? Yep. MASC completely useless? Sure is.

#20 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:25 PM

Bloodlust
Assassin
Gray Death
Griffin 2N
Arctic Wolf either omni or battle (they are just tanks)
Phoenix Hawk

If we are talking ranged missile lobbers because most of the time you see an Eagle its pop tarting atms
Kintaro18
Trebuchet
Arctic Wolf again
Dervish
Huntsman.

I like the Vapor Eagle but I don't run it with ATM or PPC. I have a rule against running only weapons with a min range, I get all kinds of happy when I know all I got to do is hug a guy and he can't shoot me. As far as PPC go the Phoenix and Shadowcat are just better mostly due to ecm and good jump increasing survival chances.
I run the Vapor with a Uac20 and heavy mediums. Good for brawling but not any better than a UAC20 Gray Death, what it gains being a bit tankier the GD makes up for with peaking shots and a much smaller silhouette.

Even with the midrange punch of the dual atm12 its just not any better than the lrm5 spam you can do with the Kintaro or Arctic Wolf and both can do that and carry some nasty close range weapons. The Arctic Wolf 1 with 5x lrm5 and 4x srm6 just eats, better hitboxes too.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 29 March 2021 - 01:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users