- - - - -

Heavies On Sale - Help A New Brother Out Plz!

14 replies to this topic

#1 GunnyJC

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:36 PM

Just started playing a couple of days ago and already have a Hunchback and a Hellbringer. I see heavies and big guns are on sale and want to try a ballistic build. Suggestions welcomed...would like it to not run too hot and most weapons have similar ranges. Currently have about 15 mil C-bills to spend. Let's hear what you got.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:03 PM

A Warhammer 6R with 2 ac/10 (regular or LBX) and medium lasers is a solid brawler. It can also mount 2 SNPPC and an AC/20, plus a couple medium lasers. All these mounts are center on the body and just under the cockpit.

A Marauder is amazing at rolling damage, with a torso twist you can completely shield one side of your mech from incoming fire. A 3R is excellent at combining PPCs and autocannons for the ballistic build you want.

A Thanatos 5S will give you stealth plus two torso ballistic mounts, popular for gauss or heavy gauss.

And a Roughneck or an Orion will mount good ballistics in less than optimal hard point locations, but the two chassis are durable as all get out.

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:40 PM

Well sale is over now.

#4 NiceDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:36 PM

There's another 3 mechs which are still on sale for another 3 days:

Warhammer-4L
Warhammer-9D
Marauder-9M

These 3 mechs are good mechs, Warhammer-4L & Marauder-9M are with ECM thus they are more newbie friendly. I just start playing in late Jan 2021 and I also just bought both WHM-4L & MAD-9M recently due to their ECM.

Edited by NiceDad, 03 March 2021 - 05:25 AM.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 05:08 AM

NiceDad said:

1614753391[/url]' post='6380012']
There's another 3 mechs which are still on sale for another 3 days:

Warhammer-4L
Warhammer-9D
Marauder-9M

These 3 mechs are good mechs, Warhammer-4L & Marauder-9M are with ECM thus they are more newbie friendly. I just start playing in ladte Jan 2021 and I also just bought both WHM-4L & MAD-9M recently due to their ECM.

Agreed, ECM is beginner-friendly, as it keeps some of the heat off of you while you’re learning the game. Don’t forget that there are two skill nodes to unlock to make ECM more effective, so get them quickly for your sneaky mechs!

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 03 March 2021 - 05:09 AM.

#6 GunnyJC

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:14 AM

Opinions on this build? I am a beginner so thinking that the extra armor is a good thing for now.

WHM-6R

#7 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:38 AM

Looks good to me. Might wanna reduce armour from arms instead of legs. Will probably run cool enough you might be able to swap engine to 295 and lose some heat sinks in excharge for something else

#8 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:36 AM

Gagis said:

1614789524[/url]' post='6380157']
Looks good to me. Might wanna reduce armour from arms instead of legs. Will probably run cool enough you might be able to swap engine to 295 and lose some heat sinks in excharge for something else

Welcome to MWO Gunny!

Personally, I would drop the arm armour and that extra heat sink, then go for an ams unit with one ton of ammo, at least until you get better at using hard cover against lurms. Any spare weight can go back into armour.

I would also suggest playing the mech for a while unskilled before you start investing in skill points. This will give you a better idea of a given chassis/variant/build’s strengths and weaknesses. I usually wait until I’ve earned ~16,000 xp before hitting the skill tree when playing an unfamiliar chassis/variant

Better players might have other opinions about this advice, but it works for me.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 03 March 2021 - 10:48 AM.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

View PostGunnyJC, on 03 March 2021 - 08:14 AM, said:

Opinions on this build? I am a beginner so thinking that the extra armor is a good thing for now.

WHM-6R

Solid. I run one almost exactly like it, with a 280 engine instead of the 300 and standard armor (so a bit less on the arms). That frees up enough tonnage to add 2 more arm mounted medium lasers for shooting down UAV’s and an AMS with a ton of ammo. Gotta watch the heat with 6 mediums, 4 should be no problem for you.

#10 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:31 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 03 March 2021 - 11:07 AM, said:

Solid. I run one almost exactly like it, with a 280 engine instead of the 300 and standard armor (so a bit less on the arms). That frees up enough tonnage to add 2 more arm mounted medium lasers for shooting down UAV’s and an AMS with a ton of ammo. Gotta watch the heat with 6 mediums, 4 should be no problem for you.

Yeah that’s an even better build. If you put the lasers into two groups the heat will be easier to manage but bear in mind that the best players can ride the top of the heat scale like bosses to put out maximum damage.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#11 GunnyJC

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:04 PM

I revised it a bit based upon the feedback that I received above by dropping a heat sink and adding the recommended AMS. I decided to keep the bigger engine for now as it gives me a bit more mobility. It also gives me two heat sinks instead of one for slightly better heat management as I still struggle with that, but am getting better. Also, decided to keep the light ferro armor to give me better durability and to not make the heat management struggle any worse. As I gain experience I may play with the setup some. I really appreciate the great responses and the warm welcome gents.

WHM-6R

Cheers!

#12 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:39 PM

The mad-9m is sweet with just the four er larges and 20 double sinks. Strip the streaks and use the free slots to fill it up. Spreads damage like a boss especially at range

#13 GunnyJC

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:57 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 03 March 2021 - 04:39 PM, said:

The mad-9m is sweet with just the four er larges and 20 double sinks. Strip the streaks and use the free slots to fill it up. Spreads damage like a boss especially at range

I might try that build at some point, but really looking to try out a dakka build at the moment. My first mech is a laser vomit Hellbringer and I am enjoying it so far so would likely enjoy your suggestion as well.

#14 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 03:28 PM

Given that there's likely another sale coming up, here's what I'd recommend if you want a reliable, powerful ballistic assault: MCII-B, 2x cU/AC5, 2x cU/AC10. The price of entry is high but it's worth it.

It's my go-to any time I want to turn Soup Queue into something other than a coinflip. If you have even basic FPS skills you'll always do well regardless of how your team does. I don't enjoy it as much as a lot of builds, but it's damn sure the most impactful 'mech I own.

#15 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:14 PM

Marauder 9M is solid. Can boat 4x ER large lasers without ghost heat. Has ECM and can equip stealth armor. The factory load out is a bit toasty, dump the streaks and replace them with heatsinks and just run it 4x ERLL. When you get some money up equip stealth and run it with 2x MRM30 and smpl.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users