Through And Through Structure Damage?!

13 replies to this topic

#1 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:12 AM

Please explain to me what it is and how it can be?!

Sometimes I met this situation, but the first one I recorded on video. I watched this moment 20+ times, I thought that someone had shot me from behind, but there was no one behind at that moment.

#2 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:25 AM

Hit box/calculation issue.
When the server determines where a projectile (in this case PPC) hits on your torso hitbox it makes the mistake of not correctly noticing the "front" side of the torso hit box. This lets the projectile more or less "fly through" your front surface that is facing the enemy.
Then when the projectile hits the "rear" side of your torso the server this time correctly notices the hit box and applies the damage.
The first version of the Kodiak had this problem to the extrem. Many other mechs have this issue.
Most people when they see this call Haxxors because they dont understand how these things work.

#3 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:21 AM

View PostRkshz, on 06 March 2021 - 12:12 AM, said:

Please explain to me what it is and how it can be?!

Sometimes I met this situation, but the first one I recorded on video. I watched this moment 20+ times, I thought that someone had shot me from behind, but there was no one behind at that moment.

Actually i've noticed this happening a lot to me lately.. I wondered myself wtf happened.. how can you get structure damage when the armor is still there.. its happened multiple times to me in the last few days.. Just heads up i was not using Kodiaks.. I was using Marauder II..

Strange that its happening a lot lately.. must screenshot when it happens again.. as its been regular.

Edited by Samial, 06 March 2021 - 03:25 AM.

#4 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:43 AM

View PostSamial, on 06 March 2021 - 03:21 AM, said:

... how can you get structure damage when the armor is still there.. its happened multiple times to me in the last few days..

well if you read my post and look very carefully in the video the structure gets damages because the shot passes through the front hitbox and hits the rear hitbox. check the rear armour of the LT, it's gone. Thus, after the rear armour is gone naturally the damage is transfered to the structure.

View PostSamial, on 06 March 2021 - 03:21 AM, said:

Just heads up i was not using Kodiaks.. I was using Marauder II..

The Kodiak problem I spoke of was fixed long ago. It just was an example where it was extremely noticeable, but again this was like 4 years ago.

Edited by Antares102, 06 March 2021 - 05:43 AM.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:18 AM

Two PPCs and some SRMs glance the top left shoulder of your 'Mech, depending on the geometry and your exact orientation some of those shots might have actually contacted part of your rear hit box. It looks like the damage is very minor, if you're like most people and run 1-5 points of armour I'd *guess* it was a couple of SRMs. I say this because you appear to take two rounds of damage - PPCs to the front first I assume, and then slight SRM damage to the back.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:47 AM

One, you are in a Linebacker, which does not have a humanoid shape. Based on the angles the dual IS PPC (unknown version). at least one of them hit the back that would have been visible (light blue section), removing that armor then doing IS damage, getting a crit hit to take out those lasers. Of course the screenshot below only shows the outer edge, there is notihing to show how much of the back is visible on the inner edges, but if there is a visible outer edge on the sides there is likely a visible edge on the inner side.

Posted Image

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:08 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 06 March 2021 - 08:47 AM, said:

One, you are in a Linebacker, which does not have a humanoid shape. Based on the angles the dual IS PPC (unknown version). at least one of them hit the back that would have been visible (light blue section), removing that armor then doing IS damage, getting a crit hit to take out those lasers. Of course the screenshot below only shows the outer edge, there is notihing to show how much of the back is visible on the inner edges, but if there is a visible outer edge on the sides there is likely a visible edge on the inner side.

Posted Image

Actually thinking about it i think i've done this to others as well with my Black knight, i run Heavy PPC and 4 medium pulse lately..

Could Heavy PPCs be the issue..

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:51 PM

View PostSamial, on 06 March 2021 - 05:08 PM, said:

Actually thinking about it i think i've done this to others as well with my Black knight, i run Heavy PPC and 4 medium pulse lately..

Could Heavy PPCs be the issue..

It wouldnt even have to be a Heavy PPC but there was a twin PPC-type shot there, though unknown if both actually hit or just one. Nor has the OP posted the amount of back armor that Linebacker had. It had to be some sort of IS PPC since there were any spread damage like there is for Clan ERPPCs.

I did love though how the audio queue was going off for the destroyed lasers while the game was still filling out the visual mech display Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 06 March 2021 - 05:55 PM.

#9 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:55 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 06 March 2021 - 06:18 AM, said:

Two PPCs and some SRMs glance the top left shoulder of your 'Mech, depending on the geometry and your exact orientation some of those shots might have actually contacted part of your rear hit box. It looks like the damage is very minor, if you're like most people and run 1-5 points of armour I'd *guess* it was a couple of SRMs. I say this because you appear to take two rounds of damage - PPCs to the front first I assume, and then slight SRM damage to the back.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 06 March 2021 - 08:47 AM, said:

Posted Image

1. Watch the video attentively - I deliberately slowed down the video two times - the structure is damaged by PPС.
2. Watch the video attentively again - I was in a bottom-up position - that is, my head looks up at an angle - the PPC (or srm) could not PHYSICALLY hurt my back - but magically yes

#10 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:10 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 06 March 2021 - 05:51 PM, said:

It wouldnt even have to be a Heavy PPC but there was a twin PPC-type shot there, though unknown if both actually hit or just one. Nor has the OP posted the amount of back armor that Linebacker had. It had to be some sort of IS PPC since there were any spread damage like there is for Clan ERPPCs.

I did love though how the audio queue was going off for the destroyed lasers while the game was still filling out the visual mech display Posted Image

5 armor on back RT\LT 65 armor on front
2 erppc - point 20 dmg
why did my armor turn red?

after 1500+ games on LBK-RL, I feel him like my body

Posted Image

that's why I was so surprised by this situation

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:36 PM

View PostRkshz, on 06 March 2021 - 05:55 PM, said:

1. Watch the video attentively - I deliberately slowed down the video two times - the structure is damaged by PPС.
2. Watch the video attentively again - I was in a bottom-up position - that is, my head looks up at an angle - the PPC (or srm) could not PHYSICALLY hurt my back - but magically yes

Do you not see that portion of the mech display in the lower part, the rear hitbox? If from the angled view the backside (baby blue) is visible from that angle, there is a small portion of the hitbox that wraps around the inner portion of those two ST humps.

The PPC shooter was at your 2 o'clock high, meaning he had the angle to hit that inside corner rear hitbox of the Left ST ridge, catching the rear hitbox that likely wraps around some.

Edit - 5 pts of back armor? That was wiped out, didnt even have time to turn the paper doll red, simply all color removed. Then IS took damage (turning yellow) and there were successful crit hit rolls against the pair of lasers.

Generally, when one is above or below another mech, it is usually possible to hit the backs hitboxes on several of the mechs, or even from the sides. Played too many MWO/MPBT games where the designers made some interesting choices.

Now I will log into 2 of my accounts and take it to a private match as a double check. The one thing the hitbox location thread does not include are views from the top and bottom, and on some of those mechs with weird back shapes, where does those hitboxes start and stop. Not saying there arent any "bugs" but some hitbox localization made by PGI at times seem.. off...

#12 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:31 AM

Might have seen this, there have been times I seemed to get hit from behind only to find no one there.

I have also seen a few times a red indicator showing I got hit usually from the front but no change on the paper doll.

#13 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:57 AM

The ppcs scored an unlikely hit to your rear hitbox, as evidenced by the fact that your rear armour is destroyed by the shot. This can happen to linebackers and some other mechs because of the geometry. And then a bad crit roll against the lasers.

Nothing fishy going on here as far as I can see, just a stroke of bad luck.

#14 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:57 AM

I think you were shot simultaneous from two directions. The PPC hit to your front and another shot came from the direction of the satellite dish and hit you in the left-read side torso. You can hear the two impact sounds in the video.

edit:
Actually the two impact sounds are the PPC followed by the missiles hitting from the front. So if there is another angle of attack from the satellite dish then that impact would need to coincide with the first PPC impact.

Edited by selfish shellfish, 07 March 2021 - 08:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users