Game Freezes When Invited To Group

21 replies to this topic

#1 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:09 AM

every few times i get a group invite, the game stops responig, freezing and later the screen turns black, only way to exit is ctrl+alt+del and terminate the proccess from task manager
this happens always when i am about to open the window and see who is inviting me
solution anyone?

Edited by multisoul, 19 March 2021 - 09:43 AM.

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:07 AM

That's confusingly odd. The available in-game Social features should never cause a crash like that. Have you verified the MWO Client Install with either Steam's Cache Verifier or the MWO Portal's Repair Tool in order to make sure that your game program is not somehow damaged? :mellow:

If you have not already checked this, and you are using the MWO Portal's Repair Tool to scan, make sure that the first five options are all unchecked BEFORE you do that scan in order to avoid unwanted damage to your personal configuration. :huh:

~D. V. "trying to cover & check the most obvious issue with your crash first" Devnull

#3 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:36 AM

no mismatches were found
not freezing every time, but more likely to do so if i dont accept invites right away
like entering a loop and the PC gets slower and slower

#4 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:38 AM

Alright... Next question, then... What are the System Specs of your computer? :o

Operating System?
CPU?
RAM?
GPU?
Anything else you think might be of use to know?

Basically, we need to know what your computer is like in order to have a sense of what may be troubling it. :huh:

~D. V. "Moving to the next thing to check... in this case, System Specs" Devnull

#5 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:02 AM

win 10 , 64bit
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
all hard drives have over 50GB free space

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 04:27 PM

Alright. And it seems that I need to apologize for not asking something with my previous post... Sorry. :(

What is your Current Resolution Setting in MWO itself? Also, do you have it display in 'Full Screen', 'Full Window', or 'Windowed' while playing? :o

~D. V. "apologizing for an error on their part... then asking the next logical question in sequence" Devnull

#7 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:20 AM

i do switch them, usually its full screen
resolution always 3440x1440
i have the feeling this happens when i get an invite while watching the results of a just finished game

#8 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:52 AM

since the sign - oLoading - stays on screen for some time, is it possible that other processes (group invite) are trying to finish their task during this prolonged period and the que of processes or task distribution gets mixed up leading to a loop where something is waiting to be allowed to finish but not given access to the processor?

#9 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 12:03 AM

View Postmultisoul, on 11 March 2021 - 09:52 AM, said:

since the sign - oLoading - stays on screen for some time, is it possible that other processes (group invite) are trying to finish their task during this prolonged period and the que of processes or task distribution gets mixed up leading to a loop where something is waiting to be allowed to finish but not given access to the processor?

I actually don't know, and am finding that I can't get a read on your situation either... But I would agree in really hoping that PGI didn't do something goofy that deadlocks the Main Thread with the Social features. Heck, now I kind of wish that Tarl Cabot would show up, since they're one of a few people in the Community who always manage to get a thumb down on things. In the meantime, you should probably Contact MWO Support @ https://mwomercs.com/support and see if they can help you with this. :(

~D. V. "unable to figure out the next best question to ask in order to help you fix this Invite-Related Crash Issue" Devnull

#10 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:17 PM

It could be a graphic issue.. or sound issue.
  • Are you using a sound mod of any kind for the game?
  • And how is your computer/game sound setup? Using just onboard sound or headset/etc?
  • Last time sound drivers were updated?
Clicking on the group button at the bottom then the alerts/names generates a sound every time. If there is any sort of sound issues/errors, that could possibly generate a runaway thread, as well as getting logged into the MWO debug log, and we know how antivirus programs loves scanning rapidly filling text files... Posted Image. One of the ways to see that is to have Task Manager or another program viewing the either the CPU processing or memory usage.

With that said...hmm. try this. Settings, Sounds, uncheck frontend sounds then test. Might want to log out then back in after saving it and test with the frontend sound disabled. And that is sorta weird not having the frontend sound being generated with the mouse movement.

And interesting.. the Last Online for friends/unit is also tied to the forums, not just logging into the game itself.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 13 March 2021 - 05:19 PM.

#11 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

Settings, Sounds, uncheck frontend sounds
testing, first day no problems

Edited by multisoul, 14 March 2021 - 01:50 PM.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:45 PM

View Postmultisoul, on 14 March 2021 - 01:49 PM, said:

Settings, Sounds, uncheck frontend sounds
testing, first day no problems

No sound mod? Just checking for confirmation.

And fingers crossed. If it holds with no issues, then it is sound related, be it drivers or 3rd party programs that is handling system/gaming sounds. This could include overlays, or programs such as Sonarworks / Razer Surround / Logitech G Hub / Spatial Sound etc headphones with their related programs, as well as Windows 10 updating drivers itself by default.

The real question is to leave it as is or troubleshoot it to resolve the issue and to re-enable Frontend Sounds again. I would start by checking the motherboard site for updated firmware, bios and drivers.

#13 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:49 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 14 March 2021 - 05:45 PM, said:

as well as Windows 10 updating drivers itself by default.

And sometimes updating it to the wrong driver file, sadly. Perhaps we should suggest that multisoul should prevent Windows from updating their computer's Driver Files for them, provided that their problem can ever be resolved? :o

~D. V. "wanting this sound-related issue to not happen to multisoul ever again" Devnull

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 04:49 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 15 March 2021 - 12:49 AM, said:

And sometimes updating it to the wrong driver file, sadly. Perhaps we should suggest that multisoul should prevent Windows from updating their computer's Driver Files for them, provided that their problem can ever be resolved? Posted Image

~D. V. "wanting this sound-related issue to not happen to multisoul ever again" Devnull

Just beware that major Window 10 updates could reset it back to default. Then OP would need to go in, download the appropriate driver from the motherboard mfg first, uninstall the current sound driver then install that driver and test.

https://answers.micr...d1-cc1c2ccf9382

How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10

Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.

Make your way to System and Security.

Click System.

Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.

Select the Hardware tab.

Press the Device Installation Settings button.

Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

#15 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:43 AM

no, it happened again

#16 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:25 PM

View Postmultisoul, on 19 March 2021 - 09:43 AM, said:

no, it happened again

Did you look into the game's logs in C:\Users\[your windows account]\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Logs ?

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 06:07 PM

View Postmultisoul, on 19 March 2021 - 09:43 AM, said:

no, it happened again

Is the Frontend sound still off, or did you re-enable it after disabling driver updates and updated sound/gpu drivers? And did you update your GPUs, which new ones came out 3-16-21?

Please add clarification.. your last post was 3-14-21. Have you been playing since then or just started back today? How long, approx how many drops before the issue started again?

And have you switched to full windowed mode instead of full screen?

And have you set your antivirus program to exclude the MWO folder and the saved games folder?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 March 2021 - 06:09 PM.

#18 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:43 AM

Any oc (xmp?)? Then try standard settings. Definetly dont use fullscreen. It is a mess.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 23 March 2021 - 02:44 AM.

#19 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:38 AM

I dont bend that way!
I will be multitasking, music playing, switching screen modes and running anything I want in the background while at the same time keeping the word files that I work on open.
If MWO thinks it can change that, I will just play something else for the next few months and if in the mood after updates roll out, I will come back.

#20 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

View Postmultisoul, on 24 March 2021 - 09:38 AM, said:

I dont bend that way!
I will be multitasking, music playing, switching screen modes and running anything I want in the background while at the same time keeping the word files that I work on open.
If MWO thinks it can change that, I will just play something else for the next few months and if in the mood after updates roll out, I will come back.

I think Ignatius Audene meant you should use "full window" mode instead of "fullscreen" in MWO.
It's a lot more stable if you alt-tab a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users