Physical Attack Idea

6 replies to this topic

#1 Darion Rothgarr

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:38 AM

An idea passed through my mind and im sure its been suggested a bazillion times but here goes

Inherent Physical Attacks on mechs.
All Mechs can make an inherent physical attack, being a Kick Manuever. The weight of the Mech determining damage and the Weight Class of the Mech determining Range. Lights having to be closer than an assault, something like 2m of a light, 4m for a medium, 8m for a Heavy and 12m for an assault. And i can hear the out crys of balance as i type this. A further additive is that the Mech must be Stationary for the Kick to be available. The kick would affect the first mech in its 90 degree front arc, affecting a Random Leg. Now, is this possible in the Cry Engine... Havent the slightest clue. But would be fun.

Also, while we are at it, lets add the good ole Punch. Mechs with Hand Actuators would be given a Punch inherent that would follow the same rule except the following: The Mech doesnt have to be stationary and the Punch could strike the component targeted by the Arm recticle.

My 2 C-bills.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:54 AM

I can see the mechs acting out the world's worst fight choreography now.

WHOOSH! goes the mech's fist into empty air in front of it.
CRUNCH! goes the sound effect a half second later.
OOF! goes the light mech that moved away already, as it ragdolls over the edge of the platform.

Much as I'd like physical combat, it would take a lot of development to be anything other than comical, and light mechs would have an infinitely easier time of running up and kicking assaults than the other way around... which is backwards to what the game needs.

#3 Darion Rothgarr

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:05 AM

Well, to be fair, im not saying it would be that way although hilarious. The Kick needs the mech to be stationary and only effects whats in front of it. And we all know a stationary Light is generally asking to die too. Im also not advocating for knock back or imparting any inertia to the target either. Appreciate the feedback. :)

#4 Sasuga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:43 AM

In table top, if I recall correctly (and it's been a long time), don't physical attacks damage the attacker as well as the defender?

Right now mechs can run into each other causing damage based on weight class, that's a bit like kicking already.

Personally, I'd love to see Kodiaks use their claws, and Hatchmen join in with hatchets. I don't see why MWO can't swing claws and hatchets like many FPS games have (usually daggers/knives). I'm not sure why MWO struggles with it, but I bet they'd have done it already if they felt they could. It's been requested a lot.

#5 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

Well it should never be possible for a light to stand behind 100 tons and block it. The 100 toner should be able to kick it back.

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:38 PM

View PostSasuga, on 14 March 2021 - 02:43 AM, said:

In table top, if I recall correctly (and it's been a long time), don't physical attacks damage the attacker as well as the defender?

Only landing on someone with jump jets. Punches, kicks, and melee weapons don't damage the user.

But yeah, we need this implemented before we'll ever see a Hatchetman.

#7 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:10 PM

great idea!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users