Ac By Caliber

2 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:12 AM

Hi. I'm not really a BT Lore-heavy fan, i just like the MechWarrior stuffs. All the fluff, is unbenownst to me.

Sarna has said that an AC is around 30mm to 203mm, yes I am aware that it's just the nominal bore diameter of the bullet. The ACs themselves are just classified by the amount of damage they deal at the certain amount of burst, that an AC20 can be a single massive shell, or a rapid-fire smaller-caliber weapon amounting to the similar damage.

Okay, so what are the ACs by Caliber and their burst?

Such as if a 40mm Bofors bursts 4 shells, what AC is that? If a 57mm Bofors bursts 6 shells, or a 30mm bursts 10 shells? etc. etc.

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:20 AM

Theres no official rule of intrepretation for those. The board game is very abstract. I dont think there is even a fan-**** model either.

Modern tank main guns are usually intrepreted as mech rifles, the primitive predecessors of autocannons. Rapidly firing guns around 20mm and such are usually intrepreted as mech machine guns.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 15 March 2021 - 11:52 AM

The original battletech boardgame was all over the map on it. The Shadowhwk 2H had an autocannon/5 that was described as an "80mm Armstrong J11" but doesn't get more detailed than that. Meanwhile the original Marauder 3R had an autocannon/5 that was a "General Motors Whirlwind that fires 120mm shells in three round bursts".

But both of those references were back in the ORIGINAL game when the Autocannon/5 was the ONLY autocannon. The others were added later and the descriptions did not get any more concise, as the Luxor D autocannon used on the Centurion in the fluff was an AC/10 also listed as firing 80mm shells.

Short answer... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users