8 replies to this topic

#1 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:52 PM

*Crap, can't edit the title... I should've said "Dougram Noob" or some such. "Dougram Dilettante" perhaps..

I had Robotech recordings since I was a wee sprog, fell into Battletech at about 8 or so. Cruised by some Crusher Joe as an adult out of curiosity after groxing the entire Studio Nue to Unseen background. And Juuuuust now elected to give Fang of the Sun a chance.

Intro didn't inspire faith to my non-weeb eyes. First brush was 70's esque (show ran from 81-83 I think, in Japan, but that intro looks a decade older to my eyes), and depressing... seriously that music and the color palette and the design... don't like the intro.

But after seven episodes... This show is Battletech as %$#$, and I have to pee.

Aside from providing a glut of classic 55 tonners and both original quads; the tactics and military organizations; the politics all have a super-heavy old BTech feel...

Kinda made me flash back to books like Ideal War.

Thoughts?

Edited by juxstapo, 16 March 2021 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:36 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 16 March 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

*Crap, can't edit the title... I should've said "Dougram Noob" or some such. "Dougram Dilettante" perhaps..

I had Robotech recordings since I was a wee sprog, fell into Battletech at about 8 or so. Cruised by some Crusher Joe as an adult out of curiosity after groxing the entire Studio Nue to Unseen background. And Juuuuust now elected to give Fang of the Sun a chance.

Intro didn't inspire faith to my non-weeb eyes. First brush was 70's esque (show ran from 81-83 I think, in Japan, but that intro looks a decade older to my eyes), and depressing... seriously that music and the color palette and the design... don't like the intro.

But after seven episodes... This show is Battletech as %$#$, and I have to pee.

Aside from providing a glut of classic 55 tonners and both original quads; the tactics and military organizations; the politics all have a super-heavy old BTech feel...

Kinda made me flash back to books like Ideal War.

Thoughts?

Dougram is the "original" Battletech. Similar feel, even the down to earth combat, and every mech from the show copied into Battletech. You even got a character called "Von Stein" there.

Dougram isn't part of Robotech or under Harmony Gold. Its IP is currently owned by Bandai, who also owns Gundam and Armored Trooper Votoms.

You watched 7 episodes? Good luck, this series has 75 episodes.

Also way more dark compared to previous mecha shows a trend that began after the original Mobile Suit Gundam.

Edited by Anjian, 17 March 2021 - 06:37 AM.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 17 March 2021 - 08:38 AM

Yes indeed. Good old school series. I still have the Zoltek (Dougram aka Shadowhawk) model from Bandai, new in box from 1984. (I SWEAR I'm gonna build it some day, honest..)

All the unseen came from Dougrams, Macross, and Crusher Joe. Of the three, Dougrams was best, but it was Macross that caught on once Har^@*# Go^* got their grubby little mitts on it. Dougrams is better Battletech flavor than the Battletech cartoon series, IMO.

#4 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:06 AM

View PostAnjian, on 17 March 2021 - 06:36 AM, said:

Dougram isn't part of Robotech or under Harmony Gold. Its IP is currently owned by Bandai, who also owns Gundam and Armored Trooper Votoms.

Yea, didn't mean to suggest that I thought that. Was referencing the various sources of the Unseen. Glad to hear it has some legs. Recently finished up (again), the Sunbow run of G.I. Joe. Needed a cartoon to watch.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 17 March 2021 - 08:38 AM, said:

Dougrams is better Battletech flavor than the Battletech cartoon series, IMO.

Shockingly so. I mean... man.
And you don't need that model cluttering your shelf. I'll take it.

#5 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:14 AM

80s brat

View PostAnjian, on 17 March 2021 - 06:36 AM, said:

Dougram is the "original" Battletech. Similar feel, even the down to earth combat, and every mech from the show copied into Battletech. You even got a character called "Von Stein" there.

You watched 7 episodes? Good luck, this series has 75 episodes.

Also way more dark compared to previous mecha shows a trend that began after the original Mobile Suit Gundam.

As 80s kidPosted Image

#6 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

Crimeny, how often does Crinn get the shite beat out of his face?/

#7 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:45 PM

After you are finished with Dougram, you can try this director's, Ryouseke Takahashi, greatest work, which is Armored Trooper VOTOMS. He also did SPT Layzner, Panzer World Galient, Gasaraki and Blue Gender.

VOTOMS

Blue Gender

Gasaraki

#8 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 07:57 PM

View PostAnjian, on 17 March 2021 - 06:45 PM, said:

I will respectfully list them as "maybe's"
What drew me to continue with Dougram is it's serious psychological ties to Classic Battletech. These miiiight be further on the eastern end of the spectrum than suits my tastes.

But, I appreciate the suggestions and I'm willing to give them a one or two episode watch.

#9 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:19 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 17 March 2021 - 07:57 PM, said:

I will respectfully list them as "maybe's"
What drew me to continue with Dougram is it's serious psychological ties to Classic Battletech. These miiiight be further on the eastern end of the spectrum than suits my tastes.

But, I appreciate the suggestions and I'm willing to give them a one or two episode watch.

I don't see how any of that is "east" or "west" as Dougram is. Dougram isn't "east" or "west" anymore than the first Gundam series. Gundam is the series that moved the robot media from the singular Hero with the Super Robot that doesn't die in every battle but vanquishes every enemy, to the grunts in mech suits that die all the time.

Armored Trooper Votoms might be regarded as the spiritual ancestor to Heavy Gear and Titanfall. I would regard this as the finest of the grunts in suits type of series.

Blue Gender is essentially mecha vs. alien lifeforms, sort of like Starship Troopers, except on Earth. Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers developed the mech suit idea fighting aliens. A variation to that topic is human piloted mecha vs. AI mecha, which is the central theme of Dynamix's Earthsiege. Dynamix made the first ever Mechwarrior game.

As you started already with Crusher Joe, whose theme is Firefly meets the Expanse.

Edited by Anjian, 17 March 2021 - 11:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users