16 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan Pickles

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia.

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:13 PM

HI there, I barely play these days but was enjoying a few matches in the lucky charms event recently until I updated my nvidia driver to 461.72 and had a massive fps drop even at the lowest settings (15-25 fps), I went back yesterday and saw another updated driver so I updated to 471.91, restarted and the fps is still tanked out. Do I have to use an old nvidia driver? does anyone know the last supported driver version, I'm trying to run some other software that wants a more current driver than what I last had which mwo didn't seem to mind giving me a bearable fps of around 60 before the driver update this week.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:35 PM

1. System Power options, set to High Performance

2. Make sure Windows is not updating your drivers.. Check the Windows Update History. Personally, whenever Windows 10 updated drivers something furbar. You can disable driver updates.

3. Completely uninstall the drivers. Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) if necessary. Reboot.

4. Once done and a few reboots, check Nvidia Power Management settings and set to Max Performance.

5. Check overlays for potential issues, be it Steam, XBox, etc.

edit = removed the font codes.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 March 2021 - 04:52 PM.

#3 Dylan Pickles

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:39 PM

Thanks, very helpful tips for most, unfortunately they're not helping me. I always use DDU when rolling back drivers, am aware of power management settings and use max performance already for gaming and have overlays disabled. I just reinstalled with mwo portal and tried an fresh install outside of steam at low settings and still am having terrible framerates, 5-10 fps in multi mech brawls, 20-25 fps in unpopulated parts of the map and 50 fps in the mechlab. Memtest on ram came back ok too, any advice would be appreciated.

#4 Minrah

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

I'm running a 1070 as well with current drivers and no issues. Is this only with mwo? Or any other game? You do anything recent in ur rig ie moving it to a new location or worked on it. Check the temperatures the GPU and CPU. If they are high might need to put new thermal paste on ur cpu. If ur running mwo through steam check its files through the integrity checker. Awhile back the geforce experience wouldnt upload my drivers correctly, had to install manually for a few updates.

A 1070 should run at 60 fps for mwo just fine. So the drop in fps might be something else.

#5 Dylan Pickles

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:40 AM

Well it looks like I have an anti-Schrodinger's pc. I haven't done anything other than start mwo 4 times yesterday each time resulting in low fps in game but last night before I went to bed I installed msi afterburner but didn't get around to doing anything more than let it install and boot once. This morning I thought I'd try mwo with the msi afterburner hardware monitor running and was getting 70-100 fps. Maybe it only dies when unobserved.

#6 Minrah

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 05:12 AM

Check to see if ur chipset is updated as well and test to see if any other games do the same issue. To me it sounds like you solved the issue, make sure it's not the afterburner app that's fixing the issue and not something else on top of it just to make sure its fixed.

#7 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:01 AM

After each patch it is a good idea to delete the cache folder from the shaders folder in Saved Games Folder

c:\User\Chewie\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Shaders\Cache

Just delete the cache folder and restart MWO.

When ever I have a problem, even with connection issues which is funny for a shader cache, this fixes it.

Hope this helps, Do it NAOWW, Get to the shader cache, and delete it.

#8 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:49 AM

View PostDylan Pickles, on 24 March 2021 - 03:40 AM, said:

Well it looks like I have an anti-Schrodinger's pc. I haven't done anything other than start mwo 4 times yesterday each time resulting in low fps in game but last night before I went to bed I installed msi afterburner but didn't get around to doing anything more than let it install and boot once. This morning I thought I'd try mwo with the msi afterburner hardware monitor running and was getting 70-100 fps. Maybe it only dies when unobserved.

Occasionally I get those kind of slow downs, when booting up though, check Task Manager, Performance & Disk Use - this will indicate whether MS has grabbed all of your resources to do a file check ready for an update, or your AV is running a background scan etc.

The last Win10 update kept throwing performance blocks because it was struggling with the previous update's cache copy, manually deleted that and everything went back to normal.

#9 Solarise

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:36 AM

You need the old custom config for super fps increase. It should be somewhere in the forum

Edited by Solarise, 13 April 2021 - 02:37 AM.

#10 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:33 AM

this can help:
Mwo Settings Guide And User.cfg

#11 Dylan Pickles

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

Still stuck at less than 20fps. Still performs well in other games and doesn't reach high temps or seem to have a cpu, ram or cpu bottleneck according to mis afterburner and hwmonitor. I just tried mrvaad's cfg files pissed above and still am at 10fps when brawling. I've deleted the shader cache, rolled drivers back and forth, shut everything down but now and still have crap fps. I even found another couple sticks of ram finally bringing me up to 16gb (yes, prior to this recent mysterious reduction I had been functioning on 8gb just fine for years). So at this point I'm wondering if there there is an ACTUAL technical support section of this forum or if it just a feedback section for whichever is the most recent patch?

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

You would need to email tech support at technical@mwomercs.com

1. Running any sound packs?
2. Disable Xbox overlays?
3. If using other overlays, turn off/disable those off, such as Steam, TS, etc..
4. When running MSI, is it showing the 20fps or is that the in-game FPS?
5. Full Screen or Full Windowed Mode? If Full Screen switch to full Windowed mode.
6. Double check/reseat GPU and video connections.
7. Reapply thermal paste to heatsinks, and cleared of dust buildup.

At this point, with logs from MSI Afterburner or such, except for in the mix of things your FPS should be higher than 20fps unless, for one reason or another the game is running off the CPU's Intels GPU, which 20fps would be standard. From the Nvidia control panel, Desktop link check Notification Tray Icon and Display GPU Activity Icon in the notification area, if you do have it selected. This would be a quick check that MWO is running on the 1070 all the time or not.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 01 May 2021 - 03:20 PM.

#13 Dylan Pickles

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:31 PM

I've shut down pretty much everything from task manager and still get 10-20fps, don't know what you mean by sound packs (mwo modding?), The fps is taken from the msi logs, been playing in full windowed mode since the closed beta, so I guess I'm taking my computer apart if I want to continue trying to play. I'm tired and cranky but not enough to invest hours in MWLL games with a hand full of regulars.

Edited by Dylan Pickles, 07 May 2021 - 10:40 AM.

#14 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:14 AM

Have you enabled all cores on processor?

#15 Dylan Pickles

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:13 PM

Yes they are, MSI shows them all around 55-65% usage with the odd spike to 80-85%

#16 Dylan Pickles

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

I've been going back and forth with tech support for a week or two now uninstalling my user config and settings files and testing theirs in the testing grounds. In frustration I ran msi afterburner while testing tonight and saw that my core clock speeds stayed at idle the whole time I was in the testing grounds and in the one match I loaded into after the testing grounds fps looked playable. Clock speeds on all cpu cores was flatlined at 1648mhz while cpu usage was down around 20-30% and gpu usage was 10% or less, has anyone heard of this happening with mwo before?

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 11:35 AM

View PostDylan Pickles, on 21 May 2021 - 05:28 PM, said:

I've been going back and forth with tech support for a week or two now uninstalling my user config and settings files and testing theirs in the testing grounds. In frustration I ran msi afterburner while testing tonight and saw that my core clock speeds stayed at idle the whole time I was in the testing grounds and in the one match I loaded into after the testing grounds fps looked playable. Clock speeds on all cpu cores was flatlined at 1648mhz while cpu usage was down around 20-30% and gpu usage was 10% or less, has anyone heard of this happening with mwo before?

Just for clarification, your CPU speeds themselves are basically flatlined/MAX at 1648 mhz or 1.648ghz..? That is the approximately speed when cpu/system heat hits the thermal threshold and underclocks the CPU to allow it to cool down. So either Power Options have been altered in a negative way or running a software program that is altering CPU multiplier/frequency (BCLK), or bios has been altered.

What you have not mentioned is whether the computer itself is running at its full speed when not playing. Based on the information provided or lack thereof , not going to make any assumptions one way or another. And HWiNFO program is a good program to keep track of several system factors. Or even Task Manager (More Details, Performance Tab)
  • Just to stress, right click on Start menu, Power Options then Additional Power settings on the far right
  • Select High Performance? Click on Change Plan settings then next screen select Change Advanced Settings Power Settings.
  • Power Options/Advanced Settings/High Performance (Active) box should pop up. Now click the Restore Plan Defaults / Apply.
  • The above ensures that if any manual changes had been made to the High Performance plan, either accidentally by user directly or via another program, it is set back to default.
Next set would be to review your bios setup...PROVIDED you are not running a software program that in Windows which changes the CPU speed multiplier or BCLK/frequency. And as mentioned previously, Task Manager to keep an eye on things or HWiNFO program. On the HWINFO, clicking on Sensors will show the Sensor Status page with live feed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 22 May 2021 - 11:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users