Good Support Mediums?

34 replies to this topic

#1 nC mixam

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:14 AM

So, recently picked up a kit fox with 3 ams-ecm with a bunch of HMGs and ER mediums. Kinda like that sort of gameplay, being able to provide good cover for my team, while also being able to dish out decent damage on medium-low ranges to help securing kills, or to scare off enemy backstabbing lights. One problem i faced is somewhat low survivability if you get focused by anything.
So, i was looking to get more tonnage, so i can perhaps tank a hit or two, and not instantly lose an arm or a leg. Is there any mediums that fit the same gameplay style?

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:22 AM

3AMS Nova with a gazillion ERSL in each arm works fine.

Edited by Gagis, 13 April 2021 - 06:22 AM.

#3 nC mixam

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:27 AM

View PostGagis, on 13 April 2021 - 06:22 AM, said:

Any variants that don't require MC investment? Also, no ECM slot on Nova.

#4 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:29 AM

the Crab CRB 27 with her 2 AMS, can be an very nice suport, it brings some Tanky Stats to soak up damage .

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:31 AM

View PostnC mixam, on 13 April 2021 - 06:14 AM, said:

So, recently picked up a kit fox with 3 ams-ecm with a bunch of HMGs and ER mediums. Kinda like that sort of gameplay, being able to provide good cover for my team, while also being able to dish out decent damage on medium-low ranges to help securing kills, or to scare off enemy backstabbing lights. One problem i faced is somewhat low survivability if you get focused by anything.
So, i was looking to get more tonnage, so i can perhaps tank a hit or two, and not instantly lose an arm or a leg. Is there any mediums that fit the same gameplay style?

Huntsman and Stormcrow are very versatile Clan OmniMechs that can support various loadouts (with suitable OmniPods, of course).

Posted Image

#6 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:08 AM

Most support mechs are dead weight due to not contributing enough to killing the enemies. That is why I mentioned the Nova, since 3AMS is substantial defence and its firepower at close range is still decent. NVA-S that is required is available for C-bills.

The Crab is probably also passable. Huntsman and Stormcrow are fine on their own, just best used with as much firepower as possible.

Support is not really a proper role in MWO, since having one mech not killing enemies is such a huge handicap.

Edited by Gagis, 13 April 2021 - 07:10 AM.

#7 nC mixam

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

View PostGagis, on 13 April 2021 - 07:08 AM, said:

Most support mechs are dead weight due to not contributing enough to killing the enemies.

Preserveing your team's firepower is as important, as being able to deal damage, IMO.

View PostGagis, on 13 April 2021 - 07:08 AM, said:

NVA-S that is required is available for C-bills.

No, it is not.
Posted Image

Edited by nC mixam, 13 April 2021 - 07:42 AM.

#8 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:03 AM

View PostnC mixam, on 13 April 2021 - 07:41 AM, said:

Preserveing your team's firepower is as important, as being able to deal damage, IMO.

No, it is not.
Posted Image

thats the champion variant, you pick the normal Nova S and get the Nova A Sidetorsos

#9 nC mixam

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:09 AM

View PostLucky Noob, on 13 April 2021 - 08:03 AM, said:

thats the champion variant, you pick the normal Nova S and get the Nova A Sidetorsos

Ah, found it. Ty.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:11 AM

View PostnC mixam, on 13 April 2021 - 07:41 AM, said:

No, it is not.
Posted Image

You do not need the Champion 'Mech. Standard Nova S is exactly the same and you can buy it for C-Bills:

Posted Image

However, Nova has a limited pod space. Essentially, you will run mostly energy loadouts.

#11 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:45 AM

View PostGagis, on 13 April 2021 - 06:22 AM, said:

I run mine with 3xAMS and 4xERSL in each arm.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

AMS and ECM are optional for what you're trying to do. You can simply use Hunchbuddy tacticis with a good medium-range striker/poke build. Even just a single AC/10 will add significant damage over time if you do it right - and MWO is all about dealing damage efficiently (relative to the armor you expend to do so.)

Being a Hunchbuddy is rather simple: you pick a Heavy or Assault, and think of them as your Big. Where your Big goes, you go; where your Big peeks, you peek, etc. If Lights or other fast movers attack your Big, you punish them; and if your Big gets into a fight with enemy Bigs, you run through/around the fight to get in their rear arc(s.)

This all boils down to following your Big around and adding your firepower to theirs at every opportunity - then forcing the enemy to choose between letting you get behind them and letting your Big have their back arcs. You can do this with any amount of AMS, and even without ECM, once you get it down. The most important thing to pay attention to is how to peek with your Big without crowding behind him, so you don't interfere with his backing up.

Edited by Void Angel, 14 April 2021 - 04:03 PM.

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:52 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 13 April 2021 - 10:01 AM, said:

AMS and ECM are optional for what you're trying to do. You can simply use Hunchbuddy tacticis with a good medium-range striker/poke build. Even just a single AC/10 will add significant damage over time if you do it right - and MWO is all about dealing damage efficiently (relative to the armor you expend to do so.)

Being a Hunchbuddy is rather simple: you pick a Heavy or Assault, and think of them as your Big. Where your Big goes, you go; where your Big peeks, you peek, etc. If Lights or other fast movers attack your Big, you punish them; and if your Big gets into a fight with enemy Bigs, you run through/around the fight to get in their rear arc(s.)

This all boils down to following your Big around and adding your firepower to theirs at every opportunity - then forcing the enemy to choose between letting you get behind them and letting your Big have their back arcs. You can do this with any amount of AMS, and even without ECM, once you get it down. The most important thing to pay attention to is how to peek with your Big without crowding behind him, so you don't interfere with his backing up.

Good advice. a couple of medium/long range weapons on a mech with or without AMS and ECM makes you a force multiplier that can help scrape fleas off your team's assaults. I often do this with a Centurion AL with 3 ERLL+ AMS or a Cicada with 2LL+2ML+ECM.

#14 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:11 AM

Is Med support any good?

GRF-2N

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 31 August 2021 - 02:33 AM

View Postmuskrat, on 31 August 2021 - 12:11 AM, said:

Is Med support any good?

GRF-2N

That’s a decent build. I might suggest upgrading the engine to a light 280. That and dropping back to light ferro armor would free up a few more tons allowing you to either max the armor and add AMS or add a third MRM 10. Just a thought.

#16 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 02:43 AM

Seems rather undergunned.

#17 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:12 AM

i live by the the adage of if your mech has an AMS slot on it you might as well try to use it. if your mech has AMS and ou don't use i don't whant to hear any complaints about LRM or other missile fire. ECM is a plus as well as long as you take the Skill nodes to help.

the Hellspawn-7D can pack a punch and still cart in an MRM-40 and 4 MLs

also don't forget about the ever useful medium LRM boat. LRMs are a support weapon. folks tend to run for cover when the rain starts and a MEdium allows you to carry enough to cut through AMS while keeping maneuverability.

Dervish-6MR can bring 2 LRM-15 and still have room for 4 ER SLs and still have room for an AMS and decent engine.

the Bushwacker-X2 has 2 AMS (one is in the head so that one will be stuck as a standard ballistic AMS) if that something you are looking for with room for and still have room for the LBX/10 it comes with (stock comes with an ER LL as well but if you want to stick to brawling range you can swap it out for say MLs and fit some bigger SRM launchers in it. though you might want to exchange the XL engine for an LE if you aren't comfortable with the XL (i never use IS XL engines myself)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 31 August 2021 - 03:13 AM.

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:20 AM

I'd go with GRF-2N

or the faster one GRF-2N

#19 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:30 AM

View PostGagis, on 31 August 2021 - 02:43 AM, said:

Seems rather undergunned.

yeah the Griffin needs some major Quirk assistance. i really hope the old Griffin gets some love in the next Quirk pass.

as for a build on the GRF-2N you can always go with an LE-280 and run 2 LPPC and an MRM-30 just need to strip some armor from the LA. this also leaves room to use that AMS slot (either Laser or ballistic with 1t of ammo.) and your ECM while still keeping 2 JJs. you could also go with SRMs if thats what you like. (the same build can hold 3 SRM-6 with 3t ammo) (remember the 2N has a PPC Velocity Quirk. sadly thats all the GRF has PPC velocity and some structure.) the SRM build runs a little toasty though. (3 MRM-10s also work but runs hotter than the MRM 30, though it does give an extra ton for more ammo)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 31 August 2021 - 03:32 AM.

#20 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:55 AM

4ASRM6 fits just fine. Its the classic brawler Griffin thats only hend back by the awkward hitboxes and very large size that makes the mech easy to counter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users