A Noob's Build Dump

1 reply to this topic

#1 frog time

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 9 posts
  • Locationctf_2fort

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:14 AM

Hi all! I've been playing around far too much in MechDB and I have quite a few experimental builds that I have decided to share. Given my relative lack of experience a lot of the rationale for some of these builds is anecdotal at best, but I'm somewhat confident they work. I haven't actually tested out all of them yet either so there could be some glaring weaknesses i'm missing, but I digress. Any feedback is appreciated.

SHD-2D2 This one's generally intended as a close-midrange skirmisher, I remember reading something about the SDH-2D2 in a recent thread and went with it. I would've liked to have jump jets on it, but I went with a better engine instead.

HBK-4G Another one in the same general vein, I initially considered going with 3xRAC/2 as per someone's recent thread but decided against it.

ADR-A My...more reasonable Adder configuration. The first light 'mech I played a lot was a KFX-D lurmboat, but I'm looking for something more close-range and this seems like a neat idea.

ADR-D This is basically the same general principle as the ADR-A, but instead of being a well-rounded laser/SRM mech, it's...a LB-20X on legs.

RFL-IIC-2 This one, and all the ones beneath it, I haven't playtested whatsoever. Someone said the clan Rifleman was a good ballistics boat, so I basically just swapped out the stock ultras for AC/5s (I'm not very fond of ultras and prefer not to use them) and it looks ok.

CRB-27B I started building this loadout as a laser boat but somewhere mid-build it morphed into some sort of second-line PPC skirmisher.

PIR-3 I've seen enough Piranha wolfpacks in QP to know that double digit numbers of hardpoints are fun, so I tried my hand at one. The stock loadout's medium lasers seemed really out of sync with the rest of the weapons so I went all microlasers.

UZL-6P And lastly...what in god's name is this weird-looking mech? I've seen maybe two Uziels in QP through all my 30 or so hours in game. It was so funky that I had to consider it, and ended up with some sort of medium-long-range energy flanker.

There you have it, one collection of fair-to-poor 'mech configurations to judge. I considered adding some sort of heavier 'mech, maybe something around 70-85 tons, but couldn't quite settle on anything.

Edited by frog time, 18 April 2021 - 10:15 AM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:22 AM

General pointer: do not use more than 5 pts of rear armor unless you've got a VERY slow assault mech then maybe risk 10. The reason for that is simple: you shouldn't be giving the enemy access to your butt for so long that larger amounts of armor would matter. The same armor on your front will keep your mech alive and in combat for longer than in the back.

Second general pointer: Grimmechs ( https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/ ) has a bunch of pre-tested builds for different chassis. You might benefit from having a look at what they did (and if there's a build guide, why), then experiment with how that fares compared to your original loadouts.

View Postfrog time, on 18 April 2021 - 10:14 AM, said:

SHD-2D2 This one's generally intended as a close-midrange skirmisher, I remember reading something about the SDH-2D2 in a recent thread and went with it. I would've liked to have jump jets on it, but I went with a better engine instead.
Jump jets are fairly important, as they allow you to cross terrain (ridges!) you wouldn't be able to as a ground-pounder. Consider going with 4xSRM4 so that your SRMs are all in sync (remember that cooldowns vary based on tube count), and you don't really need 5 tons of SRM ammo for this. Swapping the LBX for a UAC10 would give you a little more firepower at mid-range and you might want more ammo for that anyway.

HBK-4G Another one in the same general vein, I initially considered going with 3xRAC/2 as per someone's recent thread but decided against it.
I mean, it's still an XL Hunchback. After the april patch you might want to try an AC20 or UAC20 and a pair of SPPCs for a substantial up-front punch.

ADR-A My...more reasonable Adder configuration. The first light 'mech I played a lot was a KFX-D lurmboat, but I'm looking for something more close-range and this seems like a neat idea.
Bracket build - you neither have decent cooling for the lasers nor decent firepower in a brawl. Try to rig with with 4x missile hardpoints and 4xASRM6 (KFX-D can do the same build, ADR is slightly more durable and can take a little more ammo or cooling). Generally it's better to focus on doing one thing well than a "well-rounded" build that doesn't really excel in any particular role.

ADR-D This is basically the same general principle as the ADR-A, but instead of being a well-rounded laser/SRM mech, it's...a LB-20X on legs.
UAC20, drop the active probe. You'll deliver a LOT more punch.
Since your UAC is on one side, might as well put ammo in that side. This lets you shield with your left (for how little a light mech can "shield" anyway)

RFL-IIC-2 This one, and all the ones beneath it, I haven't playtested whatsoever. Someone said the clan Rifleman was a good ballistics boat, so I basically just swapped out the stock ultras for AC/5s
Try normal AC2s, but six of them. You'll crank out 30% more DPS for only 2 tons more.

(I'm not very fond of ultras and prefer not to use them)
Even with the jam chance factored in, UACs deliver bigger average burst and higher average DPS than normal ACs. With UAC20s it comes to over 40%.

CRB-27B I started building this loadout as a laser boat but somewhere mid-build it morphed into some sort of second-line PPC skirmisher.
Consider MPLs or 4xMPL+1xLPL. Unless I missed something, you can't alpha 5xLPPC.

PIR-3 I've seen enough Piranha wolfpacks in QP to know that double digit numbers of hardpoints are fun, so I tried my hand at one. The stock loadout's medium lasers seemed really out of sync with the rest of the weapons so I went all microlasers.
You might want to try bumping some of those to Smalls (ER, Pulse or Heavy) to bump up your burst damage.

UZL-6P And lastly...what in god's name is this weird-looking mech? I've seen maybe two Uziels in QP through all my 30 or so hours in game. It was so funky that I had to consider it, and ended up with some sort of medium-long-range energy flanker.
Usually it's seen as a 6xMPL skirmisher, but Crab tends to fill that niche better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users