5 replies to this topic

#1 Rad 1

• Pip
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lance Corporal
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

Good day everyone! (there will be a TL;DR at the bottom)

While this idea may have been floated about, I could not find a relevant forum post. It seems I'm with the majority (of people who get on to complain about trial mechs, at least) or people who really dislike the trial mech challenges. I'm currently loading into a game to try and get a kill with the SHC Trial. It's a VERY hot mech that poptarts, meaning I pretty much have to play in that play-style (yes, I'm aware I don't HAVE to, it can be effective used differently, but is MOST effective if played to it's strengths). I like the idea behind the trial mechs, having players try something new, and free at that! It shows them different ways to play (like poptarting with ppc's, gross), maybe displays some meta builds, lets them take a mech they wanted to try out for a spin, all of these are great. I'm not complaining about trial mechs and how they should be better, or how debilitating it feels when you don't have an arty and/or uav's.

My idea is specifically to the trial mech challenges. I dislike having to hit my head against a wall, and that's how some mechs feel when it is applied to me and my playstyle/skills. I prefer close-in brawler mechs; they feel more rewarding, more active, and can really feel like you helped push your team to a win (though this may be because I'm good at that type), or medium range support mechs, AMS and ECM to stick with the team and protect others with your bubble. I want to say that previous events have had you getting a Kill or KMDD for every trial, though that's memory so who knows? In that situation, where EVERY trial mech is on the list, although I found some of the loadouts repugnant, I was using EVERY mech, so it made sense! This time around, there were two mechs from each weight class, with the medium class having to K/KMDD with the SHC(2xERPPC,1xECM, MASC, Poptart) and the SCR(2xLRM 20,1xTag,5xERSML) both sporting long range weaponry. Why not the Crab, sporting it's 6xMPL? (As an aside, thank you for not making me use the trenchbucket) My idea is straightforward, I propose that you give people the opportunity to choose their trial mechs. In this instance, we needed two K/KMDD's in each weight class with two unique trial mechs, so something like this:
==========================================================================
COMPLETE ANY TWO OBJECTIVES
Kill or Kill Most Damage Done with SHC-PRIME(C) 0/1
Kill or Kill Most Damage Done with SCR-PRIME(C) 0/1
Kill or Kill Most Damage Done with CRB-27B(C) 0/1
Kill or Kill Most Damage Done with TBT-7M(C) 0/1
REWARD: ALL THE TEA IN CHINA 0/1

I would just like a choice. In this situation, I'd have one close in mech, one scout/poptart, one LRM support, and one trenchbucket (I hate them hate them). I'd still have to play one I don't like or don't the style of, but it's a choice and I don't feel railroaded into it. Just an idea! Thank you for the time you spent reading this, you'll never be able to get it back now.

TL;DR:

Allow us to choose what trial mechs we want to use for the challenges. Don't lock us into variants we MUST use to complete them. Give players more options, because making choices is more fun.

#2 Rad 1

• Pip
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lance Corporal
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:27 AM

Finally finished the shadowcat, took me 7 attempts. Was so very happy to get past that one :)

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:28 AM

You only have to use those Trial 'Mechs if you want to win that 'Mech skin.

You can use your owned 'Mechs to win that Mad Cat Mk.II itself. And of course, you can use your personal 'Mechs to get those two colours, warhorns, cockpit trinkets, etc.

#4 Rad 1

• Pip
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lance Corporal
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

View Postmartian, on 22 April 2021 - 06:28 AM, said:

You only have to use those Trial 'Mechs if you want to win that 'Mech skin.

You can use your owned 'Mechs to win that Mad Cat Mk.II itself. And of course, you can use your personal 'Mechs to get those two colours, warhorns, cockpit trinkets, etc.

Yes, and good points! But I do feel it is pertinent to point out that the mechs one would need to own are all the champion variants, SHC-Prime(C), so purchased with MC. I have a good amount kicking around, but I'm not planning on spending it on a mech that may be lackluster to finish a challenge. I do understand that's not the spirit of what you're saying, and I used my own mechs for all the other challenges. I bring this point up and my suggestion because the trial mech section has been the bane of my mechwarrior'ing. I frequently get frustrated and occasionally don't even finish because the trial mechs aren't what I'm good at playing, so aren't fun for me. I see by the rewards here that, like you said, the best reward (Mad Cat MK.II woooo!) is obtainable by just using my own mechs, and if that's the route that the game devs choose to go, making a lesser reward locked behind a sometimes frustrating challenge because it's meant to take time and be a challenge, than yes, this is working and is great.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

The good news is that those Trial 'Mechs are gradually being reworked, so we will see them with new loadouts rather than with those years old builds.

#6 Rad 1

• Pip
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lance Corporal
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:36 AM

I'm excited to see that, and it will make the issue better for sure. Though the only time I interact with trials are for events and new people, generally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users